Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

12-29-2012

New York

16 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 1 of 4

Booting from grub rescue> with no access to BIOS or boot menu - Please Help

2014-11-16, 18:01 PM

Hi Everyone,

I really messed up and would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me. Please.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad U410. I had the a dual boot system set up with Ubuntu and Windows 8. For some stupid reason, I thought it would be a great idea to delete my Linux partitions using Windows 8 disk manager. Grub was my default boot manager and was deleted in the process .

I've spent a great amount of time reading several threads and forums but to no luck so I thought I'd start a new thread. Please help me.
My initial idea was to just boot from my bootable Ubuntu from by USB. However, I don't have access to the BIOS or the boot menu to change the boot order. I've tried a vast amount of combinations on system startup to try and get into the BIOS but nothing works. (F2, Fn+F2, F12, you name it). However, there is also another button on the side of my laptop which launches a Novo Button Menu which presents me with options to select the BIOS and Boot Menu, but it still goes to the grub rescue> terminal when I try to select one of those options.

Executing the ls command gets me the following output:
(hd0) (hd1) (hd2) (hd2,gpt8) (hd2,gpt7) (hd2,gpt6) (hd2,gpt5) (hd2,gpt4) (hd2,gpt3) (hd2,gpt2) (hd2,gpt1)

The most relevant thread I could find was this one:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2207871

I tried andrew94's solution of booting into Ubuntu from another PC and installing a copy on a USB stick. However, when I plug in the USB to my non bootable laptop and try to run:

ls (hd0)/

The output says error: unknown filesystem
I assume hd0 is my USB stick as the light on my USB flashes when I execute ls (hd0)/.

I'm open to any thought and/or ideas. How can I get into my Windows 8 or a Ubuntu from my USB from grub rescue> so that I can fix the MBR.

Thank you so much in advance.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Booting from grub rescue> with no access to BIOS or boot menu - Please Help

2014-11-16, 18:57 PM

wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I really messed up and would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me. Please.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad U410. I had the a dual boot system set up with Ubuntu and Windows 8. For some stupid reason, I thought it would be a great idea to delete my Linux partitions using Windows 8 disk manager. Grub was my default boot manager and was deleted in the process .

I've spent a great amount of time reading several threads and forums but to no luck so I thought I'd start a new thread. Please help me.
My initial idea was to just boot from my bootable Ubuntu from by USB. However, I don't have access to the BIOS or the boot menu to change the boot order. I've tried a vast amount of combinations on system startup to try and get into the BIOS but nothing works. (F2, Fn+F2, F12, you name it). However, there is also another button on the side of my laptop which launches a Novo Button Menu which presents me with options to select the BIOS and Boot Menu, but it still goes to the grub rescue> terminal when I try to select one of those options.

Executing the ls command gets me the following output:
(hd0) (hd1) (hd2) (hd2,gpt8) (hd2,gpt7) (hd2,gpt6) (hd2,gpt5) (hd2,gpt4) (hd2,gpt3) (hd2,gpt2) (hd2,gpt1)

The most relevant thread I could find was this one:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2207871

I tried andrew94's solution of booting into Ubuntu from another PC and installing a copy on a USB stick. However, when I plug in the USB to my non bootable laptop and try to run:

ls (hd0)/

The output says error: unknown filesystem
I assume hd0 is my USB stick as the light on my USB flashes when I execute ls (hd0)/.

I'm open to any thought and/or ideas. How can I get into my Windows 8 or a Ubuntu from my USB from grub rescue> so that I can fix the MBR.

Thank you so much in advance.

As what I know the original disk has a GPT partition style. Per you statement you want to fix the MBR. So this mean that you have change the partition style from GPT to MBR.

A guide is provided in this link on how to uninstall Linux. According to the article the uninstallation will depend on how you install Linux.

Just some info for you to consider to solve your problem.

Options

7 Posts

12-29-2012

New York

16 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 3 of 4

2014-11-16, 19:18 PM
Thank you for the reply.
The problem is that stupid me didn't uninstall Linux properly. After deleting the linux partitions, I rebooted my laptop without fixing the boot record. So I can't actually launch windows to fix the boot record. :(
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 4 of 4

2014-11-16, 20:39 PM

wrote:
Thank you for the reply.
The problem is that stupid me didn't uninstall Linux properly. After deleting the linux partitions, I rebooted my laptop without fixing the boot record. So I can't actually launch windows to fix the boot record. :(

Yes I understand your problem. If you read the guideline it involve the erasure of the Linux partition and restoration of the Windows bootloader. I am thinking that before you can restore the Windows bootloader (if you can find a way) you must also change the partition style back to GPT (this is the part that I'm more concerned with since it could destroy other partitions). Maybe you have not really erase all those Linux partition. Check it out by placing the hdd in another unit and see if the patition really was gone. Try using EasUs Partition Manager Home edition to see other hidden partitions related to Linux that might still be in the hdd. Once the Linux partitions are gone you can try the novo button and restore the unit to factory default.

The ultimate solution to this problem I believe is a complete wiping of the hdd and the installation of the Windows OS. I just hope that you will not end up with this case because another probable problem is the procurement of a retail copy of the OS and the recreation of the partitions so that OKR will be working.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms