Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

11-17-2014

Ontario, Canada

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 5

Broken U430p - Can I transfer my hard drive files while still under warranty?

2014-11-17, 21:28 PM

Hi everyone, new Lenovo user here!

So, I've recently ordered a U430p (no touch) online about 2 months ago. About a week ago it randomly glitched on me while I was simply browsing the web. I got the whole sad-face Microsoft blue screen of death and everything, and it said that it would restart the laptop for me. It wasn't doing that, so I got scared, and decided to manually shut the laptop down using the power button because that usually solves the problem for me. When I turned it on though, there was no longer any output on the screen, and the keyboard/laptop would light up for a second and turn off. This repeats, on and off, and the hard drive is still running fine very quietly. 

HOWEVER, that's not my real question since I'm still under warranty I'm just going to send my laptop back to see if Lenovo can fix it. What I'm really wondering is, if I'm able to bring my laptop to a local computer repair store so that they could open up my laptop (the battery is on the inside) and transfer my files from my hard drive to an external one. 

Is that possible without voiding my warranty in any way?? Just wanted to make sure

Much help appreciated, thanks!

Answer
Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4462 Signins

274762 Page Views

• Views: 274762

Re: Broken U430p - Can I transfer my hard drive files while still under warranty?

2014-11-18, 14:34 PM

hi tn28,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

AFAIK, the warranty will not be void as long as the backup process is done flawlessly.

If you haven't contacted lenovo yet, you can report the current problem with the unit and inform them that you need time to have your files backed up first before you send the machine to the repair center.

More info:

U430p Maintenance Manual (see page 34-40)

Support phone list

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Replies(4)
Answer
Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4462 Signins

274762 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re: Broken U430p - Can I transfer my hard drive files while still under warranty?

2014-11-18, 14:34 PM

hi tn28,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

AFAIK, the warranty will not be void as long as the backup process is done flawlessly.

If you haven't contacted lenovo yet, you can report the current problem with the unit and inform them that you need time to have your files backed up first before you send the machine to the repair center.

More info:

U430p Maintenance Manual (see page 34-40)

Support phone list

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

7 Posts

11-17-2014

Ontario, Canada

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2014-11-18, 16:44 PM

Thanks! And correct me if I'm wrong, they give you about 30 days to have your laptop shipped back and received by them to fix before cancelling your case right?

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4462 Signins

274762 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2014-11-18, 16:58 PM

hi tn28,

Yes, the repair ticket is valid for 30days. In an event that the repair center doesn't receive the defective machine within the stipulated time, you will need to contact lenovo to get a new repair ticket.

See the Inventory Control Sheet (ICS) for more info.

Regards

Options

7 Posts

11-17-2014

Ontario, Canada

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2014-11-19, 4:44 AM

Alright, thanks for all your help!!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)