cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
radi0head
Blue Screen Again
Views: 478
Message 1 of 2

Can install lower version of MS Office ontop of the preloaded MS Office Starter 2010?

Hi all. I hope i'm on a correct thread as this is for IdeaPad S serier netbook.

Currently on Windows 7 Starter (netbook) that comes preloaded with MS Office Starter 2010.

I do have a genuine MS Office 2003 which previous comes with my PC i bought many years ago. I'm wondering can i install it on top of the current MS Office Starter 2010 OR do i need to uninstall the preloaded MS Office Starter 2010 first? What if i would need the MS Office Starter 2010 again next time? I dare not to do it because i worry i will crash all the MS Office apps...

Any idea? Thank you...

Smiley Wink

exscentric
802.11n
Views: 378
Message 2 of 2

Re: Can install lower version of MS Office ontop of the preloaded MS Office Starter 2010?

Relating to the old version.  Do you have an Office cd or is it a part of a restore cd?  If the former you might be in luck, if the latter, probably not.

Secondly, you may or may not be able to do what you want.  I would uninstall the starter first then install the older.  Even this you may be in for a problem.  I did a beta of 2010, then installed an older version and it took MS two days over the phone to get things straightened out and they did that by having me restore windows and that only worked for a few months.  in the process of this mess I found dozens of forums filled with people with the same problem I was having.

For some reason the first newer install leaves something in the registry that - even though the older one installs right - makes the system think it needs to reinstall one of them and it will go through a long process of configuring etc.

As to whether you can reinstall the 2010, again you would have to have a separate cd to do so unless you wanted to restore your entire drive and lose all yoiur stuff plus the older office.

Others, my wife included on her computer, have had no problem going from one version to the other.

One other fact.  If youi have an older version and install a 2010 version they can install as separate installs and work together or on ours it gave us the option of uninstalling the older portions of office that came on the new office.  (Wife had office pro older version, installed 2010 home/studen whick didn't have a couple of the older and it wanted to only replace the Word, excel etc. of the new lesser version.

Now that total confusion has set in .....  :-)  Probably you could install the older and retain the newer, but who knows what will happen..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors