Paraguay

4 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 1 of 3

Clean OS install in new SSD

2015-10-14, 20:04 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions from recently experienced SSD upgraders.

Short version:

Should I wait for my Windows 10 to show up, get my new product key for Windows 10 which should appear after the upgrade is finalized, and with that product key do a clean install of Windows 10 directly onto the new SSD which I plan to install on my Ideapad U430 Touch? Or should I use my recovery usd drive, which I prepared when the laptop was new, to install Windows 8.1 onto the new SSD and proceed to upgrade to Windows 10? I don't want to lose my Windows licence, but would rather install Windows 10 directly, hence the dilemma.

Slightly longer version: 

I have an Ideapad U430 Touch and have just bought an SDD to upgrade the factory HDD it came with. I've read the forums and suggestions and decided to do a clean install of all OSs instead of cloning anything. I mostly use Ubuntu, but also keep Windows in the HDD for Starcraft 2, and I'll do the same with the SSD. My original plan was to use the recovery drive I created when the laptop was new to install Windows 8.1 and then partition the SSD and add my Linux distro of choice. This way, I figure, I would not lose my Windows licence, which I obviously don't want to lose.

However, I would rather do a Win10 install directly, and I've read in the Lenovo Support Website that if I wait for my Win10 upgrade (hardly ever use Windows so it hasn't shown up yet), my product key will update to a new one with Windows10 and with that one, I can download a Win10 copy and install that one directly.

So my question is: Should I wait for my Windows 10 to show up, get my new product key for Windows 10 and with that product key do a clean install of Windows 10 directly? Or should I stick to my original plan? Any suggestions?

Solved! See the solution
Options

6093 Posts

02-11-2012

PH

4456 Signins

274702 Page Views

• Views: 274702
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Clean OS install in new SSD

2015-10-14, 21:02 PM

hi rufex,

Welcome to the Forums.

If you're leaning towards clean installing the Windows 10 OS into the SSD then I believe one of these methods should be the way to go:

Method 1:

1. Run the Windows 10 Upgrade on the stock HDD and activate it.

2. After successfully activating Windows, create a bootable USB Windows 10 media (see this guide)

3. Remove the stock HDD and insert the SSD then use the Win10 bootable USB media that you created on Step 2

to clean install Windows 10 on the SSD.

Note:

After successfully activating Windows 10, the OS syncs the hardware ID of the CPU, motherboard, etc. to the microsoft server so the next time you re-install Windows, it automatically activate it.

In case you get errors activating due to a change in hardware, you will need to activate by phone.

Method 2:

1. Insert the SSD and use the Recovery Drive to re-image WIn8.1 on the drive. 

Note:

If you have a stock 1TB HDD and you're using a 256GB SSD, you may receive a "There was a problem resetting your PC" error when re-imaging via the recovery drive. To fix thix, you will need to edit partition creation info on the recovery drive to accommodate the 256GB SSD as discussed in this thread.

2. After successfully reimaging Win8.1 on the SSD, you can then follow Method 1 above to clean install Win10.

Alternatively, you can also try to do a Reset which removes everything besides doing a clean install.

Let me know if these steps works for you.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

10-13-2015

Paraguay

4 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Clean OS install in new SSD

2015-10-15, 0:46 AM

Thanks for the quick and very comprehensive answer! I think I'll try and go with method 1. Cheers!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save