Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

02-16-2013

Pennsylvania

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 1 of 4

Cursor skips and jumps (when moving and resting/typing) -- Ideapad S405

2013-02-16, 5:13 AM

Just bought a new Ideapad S405 with Windows 8 from Staples. When moving the cursor around the screen with the touchpad, particularly when trying to navigate details such as lists and small icons, it jumps and skips to the point of frustration. It's virtually impossible to click and highlight a piece of text because of this issue. I've also noticed some problems with the cursor moving while it is resting and I am typing.

I have installed the latest Synaptics drivers and rebooted my system. I have tried to follow the instructions here as well, but have been unable to find the "tap off when typing" option they're talking about.

I'm returning this laptop if I can't find a solution. A tool that's so basic needs to work properly to make a new machine worth it. Thanks for any help.

Options

22 Posts

01-23-2013

United States of America

67 Signins

290 Page Views

• Views: 290
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Cursor skips and jumps (when moving and resting/typing) -- Ideapad S405

2013-02-18, 2:05 AM

that link is for an ALPS touchpad. The S405 has the synaptics touchpad, I'm pretty sure for all S405s but I could be wrong. You can check that in Device Manager under 'Mice and other Pointing Devices'.. The Synaptics touchpad settings have a ton of settings, but I see nothing related to disabling the touchpad or tapping while typing.

I have the S405 also and have no such issues as you are having.

Have you checked if any processes in Task Manager are eating your CPU possibly leading to a stuttery cursor?

Options

3 Posts

02-16-2013

Pennsylvania

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 3 of 4

2013-02-18, 4:41 AM

Thanks for your help. I did manage to mostly solve the problem by ensuring that the old Synaptics driver was uninstalled and the new one was reinstalled. The cursor works much better on menus and small buttons now. When I use two-finger scrolling, the cursor still has a tendency to randomly jump, which makes scrolling annoying. Perhaps the driver will be updated again at some point to solve this issue.

Options

1 Posts

03-03-2013

Knoxville, TN

1 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 4 of 4

2013-03-03, 16:07 PM

I have just purchased the ideapad S405, and while the touchpad seems to work most of the time, it is very quick to lag, and jumps around for me as well.  It also opens up random apps running in the background while I am in the middle of doing something else (I have only had the ideapad for less than a day and it has done it several times).

Also, when working in my lap, it often becomes unresponsive until I can set it down onto a hard surface.

I am wondering if these issues are software or hardware based.

Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms