cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bubble
What's DOS?
Views: 823
Message 1 of 2

Dolby audio and Realtek audio drivers suddenly won't work on windows 8.

I've got an Ideapad U510, Windows 8 64-bit system.

A couple of days ago I got a message, which stated that the dolby audio driver didn't work, and I needed to reinstall the driver or restart. I did both and neither worked.

I searched for drivers on Lenovos website, and updated the driver for Realtek audio. Now the logo for sound just have a red X on it and I don't know what to do. I uninstalled the drivers, installed them again and it didn't work so I uninstalled it again.
The dolby digital driver won't install again, it says it needs PCEE to install but I have no idea what to do.

Please help me. I don't know what caused the problem, so I have no idea how to get my audio working again.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 793
Message 2 of 2

Re: Dolby audio and Realtek audio drivers suddenly won't work on windows 8.

hi Bubble,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

Can you try the following:

1. Press the Windows key‌ Windows logo key+R, type appwiz.cpl and press Enter. On the list of programs, remove any instances of Dolby or Realtek Audio and reboot.

2. After the reboot, press the Windows key‌ Windows logo key+R, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. On the Device Manager, expand Sound, video, and game controllers and check if the sound device is listed as High Definition Audio. If it says Realtek High Definition Audio, uninstall it, put a check on 'delete device driver software' and reboot. This step will install a generic sound driver that should enable you to play sound on the unit.

If the above steps doesn't work and you still see the red X mark on the sound adapter then you may need to backup important data and do one of the following:

a. System Restore

b. System Recovery via the OneKey Recovery Button

c. Refresh or Reset Windows 8

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors