Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jtakev
Paper Tape
Views: 756
Message 1 of 6

HDMI not working on Ideapad s540-14IWL

I purchased a new Ideapad S540-14IWL recently but couldn't find a way how to connect a secondary display via HDMI. I use Windows 10 Pro.

So far I've tried the following:

- using different monitors;

- using different HDMI cables;

- installing newer and older Intel VGA drivers;

- going through the Windows 10 video troubleshooter;

- switching off the laptop and/or the monitor and powering them in various sequences (as suggested in a few articles I found on the Internet);

- tried to switch to the second display using Win+P, of course.

No matter what, Windows is not able to detect a connected display (even after I manually push the 'Detect' button). The display itself finds no signal.

Surprisingly, the Lenovo diagnostics utility couldn’t identify a problem after running both the Display and the Display Interface tests. The laptop is flashed with the latest BIOS.

I read other Lenovo models have similar issued when AHCI mode is selected in the BIOS rather than RST. However, switching to RST comes with a warning that the controller change will result in all the data being erased, which I can't afford. 

Any help on that issue will be appreciated.

mulic3
Blue Screen Again
Views: 587
Message 2 of 6

Re: HDMI not working on Ideapad s540-14IWL

I can verify that changing to rst and enabling uefi solved the problem for me on the s540 14iwl. Far from ideal but as a programmer I have to use an external monitor. BTW, is your bezel also not glued 100% properly to the screen?

I got the same problem on 3 identical machines but the price was too good to let it go.

Dstone
Punch Card
Views: 579
Message 3 of 6

This issue exists only in Intel S340 versions. I checked my HDMI on the S340-15API and it works with ACHI mode in the BIOS.
jtakev
Paper Tape
Views: 565
Message 4 of 6

Thank you, mulic3, for your reply. 

I hope Lenovo will fix this issue in a future BIOS update. HDMI is not critical for me at the moment but sooner or later I will need it. 

I will check in the meantime whether a Type-C to HDMI adapter will do the trick.

And no, my laptop does not suffer from the bezel not being glued to the screen. Apart from the HDMI problem, the laptop is otherwise flawless. 

ashton_r1
What's DOS?
Views: 333
Message 5 of 6

I just solved this issue with help of previous replies. After installing Windows and all updates and drivers (since I bought a freeDOS) I could not get the hdmi to work. After reading this thread, I went into BIOS settings, under BOOT, and changed "Legacy Boot" to "UEFI". Started up the Laptop and hdmi was working perfectly!

jtakev
Paper Tape
Views: 283
Message 6 of 6

This worked for me as well! 

Many thanks ashton_r1 !!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors