Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

09-12-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 4

Hard Drive questions for Ideapad S340-15IWL!

2019-09-12, 22:48 PM

Hello!

I have an Ideapad S340-15IWL with a 256gb ssd.

I want to add another hard drive.

Can I add another SSD or  can I only add an HDD? ( the platform specification sheet seems to infer that can only add HDD)

Is there any instructions or videos on how I would physically add a hard drive to this exact model?

I have found a hardware maintenance manual that explains how to remove parts but not how to add parts.

Do I need any extra connectors or converters?

Is there anything else I should know about picking out the hard drive besides what the platform specification sheet says?

This is what the Platform Specifications says:

Storage:  Up to 2 drives (one HDD and one M.2 SSD): ● HDD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high, 5400rpm ● M.2 2242 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 2, 16Gb/s ● M.2 2280 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 4, 32Gb/s ● M.2 SSD / SATA 6.0Gb/s (e.g. xxxGB SSD M.2

I can usually find this information, but I'm having trouble with this model.

Thanks for any help!

Options

4281 Posts

12-11-2015

United States of America

4551 Signins

51852 Page Views

• Views: 51852
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Hard Drive questions for Ideapad S340-15IWL!

2019-09-12, 23:21 PM

Assuming hat your system currently has a M.2 SSD installed, you could add a 2.5" x 7mm SATA SSD as a storage drive, but the system only has one M.2 SSD slot available.     The HDD requires a bracket to secure it (FRU/part number: 5B40U61561). but I cannot find a source for that bracket online, so you may have to MacGyver a way to secure it. 

The bracket is shown on page 43 of the Hardware Maintenance Manual and in the image below

Cheers,

Options

12 Posts

07-15-2019

United States of America

12 Signins

102 Page Views

• Views: 102
  • Message 3 of 4

2019-09-13, 4:45 AM

If you really have an SSD (SATA 2.5"), then you can add an M.2 PCI Express NvMe drive. 

If you have an M.2 drive, you can add any 2.5" SATA drive (mechanical or SSD).

I got my Ideapad from Costco, and it came with a 256gb NvMe drive (and not a very good one at that). I immediately added a 512gb sata SSD and had 2 drives. There was nothing extra I needed to buy as the empty slot for the 2.5" drive had the mounting kit empty. (I got the 512gb at a sweet price spot under $50!)

Then, I couldn't resist when I found Intel 660p M.2 2280 2TB SSD at the biggest online retailer for under $185. Yes, you got that right - TWO terabyte PCI-Express M.2 drive for under $185. My intention was to use it in an older Win7 machine to replace a Samsung 970Evo 512gb M.2 drive. BUT, there really is no support to use an Intel M.2 drive as a boot drive in older Win7 machine (it would work in there, but not as boot drive, and maybe there is a way, but it's way too complicated.)

So, today I decided - maybe I should replace the 256gb drive that came with the Ideapad and the 2nd 512gb (Silicon Power) SSD that I put in with the Intel 2TB M.2 drive.

I previously purchased a Eluteng M.2 Enclosure for SATA, and a QNIME NVME USB Enclosure M-key to be able to clone drives to M.2 SATA and PCIe.  (Around $12 and $26 respectively). So, booted the Lenovo using legacy boot (see my prior post asking how to enable legacy boot which was answered with solution) with a G4L (Ghost for Linux) bootable USB, I cloned the factory 256gb Union Memory M.2 drive to the Intel 2tb M.2. When the clone was done, shut down, and then removed the bottom cover from the Lenovo. I ALSO REMOVED THE BATTERY CONNECTOR FROM THE MOTHERBOARD before proceeding further. (There are utube videos that show this - the motherboard is always live with power unless you disconnect the battery!)

When I removed the Lenovo-supplied 256gb M.2 I was a bit concerned as this drive has both M and B keys. Which, I think, means the drive that Lenovo supplied is NOT an M.2 NVMe SSD but an M.2 SATA - even though the label on it says M.2 PCIe Gen3 NvMe. (See this page with info about M.2 keys/sockets/drives).

In any event, the Intel 2tb drive, with only the M key went in the Lenovo slot, and after changing BIOS back to boot UEFI, Windows booted, and gave me an error saying something was wrong, it needed to restart, and a bar code I could scan for more info - but before I could get my phone to scan the bar code, the notebook rebooted - successfully to Windows. (I think this behavior is to be expected because even though the G4L clone is bit-for-bit for the first 256gb - there's a whole lot of new unexpected space.)

So, after verifying Windows working, and basically having backup of everything (the original Lenovo drive safely out of the machine), I used legacy boot to GParted USB to re-work the partitions on the 2TB Intel - moved the Lenovo recovery to the very end, expanded the Windows 10 partition from about 232 to 400gb, created a 950gb partition to copy the 460gb secondary SATA SSD that I'm removing, created a 110gb partition to copy my Ubuntu boot (that I had as a 63gb second partition on the 512gb SSD I had added before), and still have over 500gb unallocated space! (for the future). GParted in stages without reboot to expand/create partitions and copy partitions from the secondary drive to the new 2tb drive. Shut down. Removed the battery again. 

Removed the secondary SATA SSD I had put in. (there are 4 screws, 2 of which are under the speaker which you gently move away). Then removed the drive from the bracket, put the empty bracket back in case I ever want to add a 2.5" SATA again, plugged the battery back in, and was expecting I might have some work to do to let Windows know the D: drive (former secondary SATA) is now a partition on the 2tb drive, but somewhat surprised that Windows picked up on that by itself....

Notes: To remove the bottom cover, you'll need a Torx driver (T-5 is what I used). Inside, it's all philips.

Haven't yet done benchmarks on the 2tb Intel drive, but I had done on the Lenovo drive and it wasn't nearly as good as with a Samsung 970Evo in my Win 7 desktop....

This was my 3rd time removing the back cover and upgrading. If it's your first, maybe look for some videos.

I now have 20gb RAM, 2TB Nvme SSD - a blazing fast i3 notebook.... (and I also have a spare 4gb SODIMM memory module because the Costco 8gb version had 4gb in the expansion slot which I changed to 16gb, and the Lenovo 256gb supposed Nvme drive.)

Options

3 Posts

09-12-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-09-13, 19:30 PM

Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms