Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alvarezlouie
Paper Tape
Views: 9,528
Message 1 of 34

How can the S10 OKR key be remapped?

Everyone seems to think the OKR key is fine for the backup/recovery option it has been designed for. In my case upon purchase I immediately upgraded my Lenovo S10 to 2gb RAM and 320gb/7200rmp HDD and installed Windows XP Pro.

Needless to say I never bothered to even try or care about the OKR key. I assumed the remapping of the OKR key would be a simple procedure since not all but many keyboards provide for this ability.

I've searched all over the net, googled numerous terms, located a few forums and searched and read and reread. Absolutely nothing on how to remap this button. I'm sure many of the owners out there that have upgraded and killed this key's function would like to remap it to an application used most often.

With that said does anyone know of a software remapping app, registry entry, or any hacking method to remap this OKR key to an application or even a webpage?

Message Edited by alvarezlouie on 03-15-2009 11:09 AM
Message Edited by alvarezlouie on 03-15-2009 11:11 AM
slash
Punch Card
Views: 9,509
Message 2 of 34

Re: How can the S10 OKR key be remapped?

On the S10, the OKR button is hard coded to

C:\Program Files\Lenovo\OneKey App\OneKey Recovery\OneKey Recovery.exe

Use the same file name and path. Replace it with a program that launches your application of choice.

alvarezlouie
Paper Tape
Views: 9,503
Message 3 of 34

Can't be that simple Man Mad been looking for the last week. I am right now reinstalling the OneKey application and will do as you suggest. Kind of curious though would launching my chosen application require renaming the appliction or link to OneKey Recovery.exe or changing the pointer in the registry or simply copy over the launching executable to the OneKey folder?

You're suggestion already gives me hope. I'll report my results shortly here. Thanks much!

alvarezlouie
Paper Tape
Views: 9,425
Message 4 of 34

Hmmm, not having much luck, tried to create a shortcut with renaming the link, tried simply copying over a couple executables, that didn't work, then removed and installed the application directly into the OneKey folder and renamed the exe file. Still nothing. The OneKey button still will only launch the OneKey app not anything that I place into that folder.

Any ideas? Where in the registry can this be altered to point to a specific application? I did a regedit search but there was well over a dozen OneKey references. Don't want to change all of them to damage the Registry. 

Anyone know what primary registry entry would make the OneKey button remap to an alternate application?

s10user161
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,253
Message 5 of 34

I also tried slash's suggestion - didnt work. Why bother providing an untested solution... Someone should delete the post.  Would sure like an answer to this problem.
slash
Punch Card
Views: 9,243
Message 6 of 34

Only hard copies of the excutable will work. I have personally tested this and it works.
TheSteve
Punch Card
Views: 9,228
Message 7 of 34

Just tried it on my S10, pressing the button did nothing. I had the executable in the proper dir with the proper name. Must be a little more to it.
slash
Punch Card
Views: 9,223
Message 8 of 34

Is it a stand alone executable? If it depends on other files such as dll's in the directory you copied it from, simply copying the executable will not work. In this case, it would be better to use a program that can specify the working directory and the executable and rename the program to "OneKey Recovery.exe". If you are familiar with the Microsoft Windows API, the ShellExecute function will let you do this.
alvarezlouie
Paper Tape
Views: 9,188
Message 9 of 34

I'm not familiar with the Windows API or Shell Execution you mention. If I was a programmer I probably wouldn't be posting my requests on this forum but would have done it myself. My request was rather simple/basic:

With that said does anyone know of a software remapping app, registry entry, or any hacking method to remap this OKR key to an application or even a webpage?

Your method although sounding rather simple didn't work, I clearly explained what I had done, nothing worked, the post replies say the same thing. If you have a specific method that works and details on what you did then please post those, otherwise going into vague suggestions does this posting or this forum no good.

slash
Punch Card
Views: 9,162
Message 10 of 34

Well, I gave a simple/basic answer with my first reply. You just need to find a launcher and replace it with the OKR executable. To ease your pain, I have made a simple program for this. Remember to backup your original "OneKey Recovery.exe".

http://www.filefactory.com/file/af8g49b/n/S10OKR_zip

I can give you the source code if you want to expand it to open a specific webpage.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors