Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

32 Posts

07-04-2012

United States of America

55 Signins

484 Page Views

• Views: 484
  • Message 1 of 8

How long of battery life can you actually get on your U410/U300?

2012-07-25, 1:40 AM

Hi --

I got my U410 Ultrabook today and thus far have been extremely happy.  The internet isn't spotty, the touchpad and keyboard work great, and it looks beautiful.  The only concern I have is the battery life.  Lenovo advertises 8 hours but I expected five or six realistcally.  

I started mine up right off the bat and it was at around 80%.  I did some hardcore downloading and was using it constantly and it died in maybe 2.5 hours (to be generous).  I'm charging it right now and am hoping to get a better result off a full battery.

What's everyone else's actual batery life experience?  What are you usually averaging from a full battery?  I figure if I turn down the brightness a lot and don't download a lot I can probably max out the performance.

Honestly I'd be happy with five hours on a full charge.  

Options

3 Posts

07-25-2012

Atlanta

21 Signins

102 Page Views

• Views: 102
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: How long of battery life can you actually get on your U410/U300?

2012-07-25, 19:14 PM

Got mine 2 days ago from the Microsoft Store online (free xbox 360 student deal).

I'm getting around 2.5 hours on a full charge as well. Someone else said that the battery life improved after the first week to around 5.5 hours in this thread: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/Ultrabook-U410-Very-Bad-performance-in-terms-of-wifi-and-battery/td-p/808379

Options

32 Posts

07-04-2012

United States of America

55 Signins

484 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2012-07-26, 0:21 AM

Yeah, I'm getting a little bit better than 2.5 hours on a charge, especially when I'm just using it casually and not playing games.  I'm sure it will improve over the week if you let it die and recharge it and such.  To be honest 5 hours is fine off of a charge.  I think the 9 hours they claim is probably not using wifi or anything and turning the brightness and settings all the way down.  I'm running an ethernet at my college so I'll be able to turn the wifi off which will hopefully save me some battery.  If I can get 5 hours or more of continous use that's just fine.

This laptop is pretty good internet wise (no wifi card issues thus far) and runs very fast.  It's super light weight and is very responsive and I definitely like that.  

Options

3 Posts

07-25-2012

Atlanta

21 Signins

102 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2012-07-26, 7:31 AM

I received my laptop on 7/23 and have been using it nonstop ever since. Battery life has been about 2.5 hours doing basic tasks like Word Processing, Web Surfing, with a little bit of music and video every now and then. Like many of you I thought I was going to get somewhere around the 9 hour battery life, 6-8 hours being more realistic.

After fiddling with power settings and etc I came across the conclusion that they never correctly adjust the screen display brightness when you switch power modes. So I've been doing it manually using the F11+F12 buttons to lower brightness when I'm trying to save power and then change it to the brightest when I'm plugged in.

Getting almost double the battery life now (5-6 hour range doing roughly the same tasks as before). Hope this helps.

Moderator Note; post merged in, subject edited

Options

24 Posts

07-13-2012

milwaukee

42 Signins

305 Page Views

• Views: 305
  • Message 5 of 8

2012-07-26, 20:06 PM

I was the one who reported 5.5 hours of battery.

On the first day, when the battery was dying pretty quickly, I went into Resource Monitor (quickest way to get there is to start Task Manager, go to the Performance tab, and click Resource Monitor at the bottom of that window.)

You can sort that list by the CPU column.

Anyway, I saw Quick Update eating up a large amount of CPU time.... like 25% or more. Quick Update is bloatware, designed to update email and social media in the background. Do people still even use local email clients??? ;-)

After uninstalling Lenovo Quick Update my CPU usage dropped dramatically and battery life went up 2x.

Options

8 Posts

07-23-2012

USA

30 Signins

200 Page Views

• Views: 200
  • Message 6 of 8

2012-07-27, 6:16 AM

Yeah, getting rid of quick update also helped my battery life significantly as well. Even when it is switched "off" it uses that 25 percent. I'm still trying to figure out why the power management settings are unable to change the screen brightness on this laptop, it would be great to not have to manually decrease the brightness whenever I unplug it from the AC...

Options

32 Posts

07-04-2012

United States of America

55 Signins

484 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2012-07-28, 0:08 AM

I have uninstalled Smart Update and hope to see a difference.  I will report back soon with my experiences.

Thanks guys and good luck with your laptops!

Options

3 Posts

07-25-2012

Atlanta

21 Signins

102 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2012-07-30, 20:54 PM

wrote:

I was the one who reported 5.5 hours of battery.

On the first day, when the battery was dying pretty quickly, I went into Resource Monitor (quickest way to get there is to start Task Manager, go to the Performance tab, and click Resource Monitor at the bottom of that window.)

You can sort that list by the CPU column.

Anyway, I saw Quick Update eating up a large amount of CPU time.... like 25% or more. Quick Update is bloatware, designed to update email and social media in the background. Do people still even use local email clients??? ;-)

After uninstalling Lenovo Quick Update my CPU usage dropped dramatically and battery life went up 2x.

Thanks, battery life has definitely improved after a week now and with brightness settings adjusted and uninstalling Quick Update it's even better.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms