Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

09-25-2013

Czech Republic

27 Signins

164 Page Views

  • Posts: 21
  • Registered: ‎09-25-2013
  • Location: Czech Republic
  • Views: 164
  • Message 1 of 15

How to access Safe Mode from a cold boot on Lenovo U310 with Windows 8?

2013-09-27, 6:22 AM

Hello,

I already know how access safemode within Windows but, what about if I want to start safe mode as soon as I start my computer?
I have tried several things during startup:
1. pushing, not holding, several times F8
2. Fn+F8
3. SHIFT+F8

I also tried the edit "trick" via bcdedit: I ran the command prompt as administrator and entered: "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy".
It did NOT help. I repeated all the 3 procedures (F8, Fn+F8, SHIFT+F8) with no luck!

If I need to boot in safe mode, most of the time it is because I cannot boot Windows normally. What is the point to start Safemode within Windows? I understand Microsoft wanted to make the boot time more rapid, but this is a pain in the ass if  I will not be able to access Windows one day.

Please help.

Thank you

Reply
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

  • Posts: 5402
  • Registered: ‎05-09-2013
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 19373
  • Message 2 of 15

Re: How to access Safe Mode from a cold boot on Lenovo U310 with Windows 8?

2013-09-27, 11:49 AM

wrote:

Hello,

I already know how access safemode within Windows but, what about if I want to start safe mode as soon as I start my computer?
I have tried several things during startup:
1. pushing, not holding, several times F8
2. Fn+F8
3. SHIFT+F8

I also tried the edit "trick" via bcdedit: I ran the command prompt as administrator and entered: "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy".
It did NOT help. I repeated all the 3 procedures (F8, Fn+F8, SHIFT+F8) with no luck!

If I need to boot in safe mode, most of the time it is because I cannot boot Windows normally. What is the point to start Safemode within Windows? I understand Microsoft wanted to make the boot time more rapid, but this is a pain in the ass if  I will not be able to access Windows one day.

Please help.

Thank you


It seems that the only way is to use your "recovery flash drive" or if you have a win installer in a flash drive. Of course you have to change the boot order in the bios to boot usb first.

Reply
Options

21 Posts

09-25-2013

Czech Republic

27 Signins

164 Page Views

  • Posts: 21
  • Registered: ‎09-25-2013
  • Location: Czech Republic
  • Views: 164
  • Message 3 of 15

Re: How to access Safe Mode from a cold boot on Lenovo U310 with Windows 8?

2013-09-27, 12:21 PM

Hello,

 

Thank you for the answer.

 

You are telling me there is no way to start windows 8 on my lenovo u310 in safe mode? =(
Or I can install Windows installer 5.0 on an USB drive and staring the safemode from there?

 

Reply
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

  • Posts: 5402
  • Registered: ‎05-09-2013
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 19373
  • Message 4 of 15

Re: How to access Safe Mode from a cold boot on Lenovo U310 with Windows 8?

2013-09-27, 12:55 PM

You are telling me there is no way to start windows 8 on my lenovo u310 in safe mode?

 

Answer: No. What I'm saying is that you can't use F8 , etc that you mentioned anymore. But you can use the recovery disk to cold boot into safe mode or use the win installer to cold boot into safemode.

Reply
Options

21 Posts

09-25-2013

Czech Republic

27 Signins

164 Page Views

  • Posts: 21
  • Registered: ‎09-25-2013
  • Location: Czech Republic
  • Views: 164
  • Message 5 of 15

Re: How to access Safe Mode from a cold boot on Lenovo U310 with Windows 8?

2013-09-27, 13:02 PM

Is it possible to install the win installer on a usb flash drive? The lenovo u310 does not have a dvd-rom and comes without recovery disk.

 

EDIT: I think this is what I am looking for. I will try and let you know if I am able to boot into safemode from cold boot.
Thank you :)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

Reply
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

  • Posts: 5402
  • Registered: ‎05-09-2013
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 19373
  • Message 6 of 15

Re: How to access Safe Mode from a cold boot on Lenovo U310 with Windows 8?

2013-09-27, 13:13 PM

wrote:

Is it possible to install the win installer on a usb flash drive? The lenovo u310 does not have a dvd-rom and comes without recovery disk.


Yes here is one link. There are others.

 

The OS in your laptop is preinstalled by Lenovo

Reply
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

  • Posts: 5402
  • Registered: ‎05-09-2013
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 19373
  • Message 7 of 15

Re: How to access Safe Mode from a cold boot on Lenovo U310 with Windows 8?

2013-09-27, 13:25 PM

wrote:

Is it possible to install the win installer on a usb flash drive? The lenovo u310 does not have a dvd-rom and comes without recovery disk.

 

EDIT: I think this is what I am looking for. I will try and let you know if I am able to boot into safemode from cold boot.
Thank you :)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive


And here are the steps on cold booting into safemode:

Booting into safe mode using Recovery Flash Drive
    1. Insert your Windows 8 Recovery Drive into a usb port.
    2. Boot your computer from the flash drive.
    3. On the Choose your keyboard layout screen, tap or click on US or whatever keyboard layout you'd like to use.
    4. Continue by selecting safemode when Advanced Startup Options appears.

Reply
Options

21 Posts

09-25-2013

Czech Republic

27 Signins

164 Page Views

  • Posts: 21
  • Registered: ‎09-25-2013
  • Location: Czech Republic
  • Views: 164
  • Message 8 of 15

Re: How to access Safe Mode from a cold boot on Lenovo U310 with Windows 8?

2013-09-28, 16:47 PM

So: I created a recovery USB disk... I start the computer and I select the USB drive. I go to advanced options and... SAFEMODE IS NOT THERE!!!! On the otherhand, if I start the recovery within windows I can find teh safemode in the advanced options.... THIS MAKES NO F*****G SENSE!!!

So, now, what I need to do in order to start the pc in safemode if windows does not boot properly is:

1. start machine and select usb recovery disk

2. advanced menu

3. prompt

4. Type in one of te following:

Safe Mode:
bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal

Safe Mode with Networking:
bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network

Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal
bcdedit /set {default} safebootalternateshell yes

5.Reboot

 

Now my computer will reboot into safemode. If I want to restart windows normally I will have to repeat all the procedure and type in the prompt "bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot" otherwise the computer will keep boting into safe mode in a loop.

 

What a waste of time ! ! !

Reply
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

  • Posts: 5402
  • Registered: ‎05-09-2013
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 19373
  • Message 9 of 15

Re: How to access Safe Mode from a cold boot on Lenovo U310 with Windows 8?

2013-09-29, 2:06 AM

wrote:

So: I created a recovery USB disk... I start the computer and I select the USB drive. I go to advanced options and... SAFEMODE IS NOT THERE!!!! On the otherhand, if I start the recovery within windows I can find teh safemode in the advanced options.... THIS MAKES NO F*****G SENSE!!!

So, now, what I need to do in order to start the pc in safemode if windows does not boot properly is:

1. start machine and select usb recovery disk

2. advanced menu

3. prompt

4. Type in one of te following:

Safe Mode:
bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal

Safe Mode with Networking:
bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network

Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal
bcdedit /set {default} safebootalternateshell yes

5.Reboot

 

Now my computer will reboot into safemode. If I want to restart windows normally I will have to repeat all the procedure and type in the prompt "bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot" otherwise the computer will keep boting into safe mode in a loop.

 

What a waste of time ! ! !


A simpler method is to run mscofig and choose safe boot in the boot option. The next next time you boot you will be booting in safemode.

 

Instead of searching msconfig everytime youi want safemode you can pin msconfig to the start or the desktop.

Reply
Options

21 Posts

09-25-2013

Czech Republic

27 Signins

164 Page Views

  • Posts: 21
  • Registered: ‎09-25-2013
  • Location: Czech Republic
  • Views: 164
  • Message 10 of 15

Re: How to access Safe Mode from a cold boot on Lenovo U310 with Windows 8?

2013-09-29, 10:14 AM

the thing is hat i was looking for a method to start safemode if windows does not boot at all.

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms