cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EduardoBrazil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 794
Message 1 of 3

How to access the BIOS and see the boot screens in the U310 touch with an external monitor?

Dear All,

Hope all of you are very good!

My name is Eduardo and I'm from Brazil. I have a ultrabook U310 touch from Lenovo, s/n *********, and I am in a terrible problem!

The screen of this ultrabook is broken and I'm using an external VGA monitor at this moment. I have connected the external VGA monitor in the HDMI port of the ultrabook using a HDMI/VGA cable.

Using an external monitor I'm not able to see the BIOS or boot screens when I turn on the ultrabook. The first screen that I have seen is the Windows logon (maybe because in that moment, the operating system has sent a signal to an external monitor and in the boot this situation doesn't happen).

The problem is: I want and I have to install a new operating system in this ultrabook once I can't enter into the original SO anymore, and for doing that, I have to access the BIOS and change the priority of booting in order to use a windows bootable pendrive or DVD.

I have already tried to do the following steps:

1) to use the keys to change from the main screen to an external monitor;

2) disconnect the battery for 15 seconds and drain the energy in order to do the first step again;

3) remove the HDD and connect it in another computer to format it using a wintohdd software and assemble it again in the ultrabook;

4) to do the third step without using the wintohdd software;

5) look at the youtube and try to find some videos where I could watch someone doing something in the same BIOS;

6) install the operating system looking to nothing up to the first screen which could show me something in the external monitor (it is impossible);

7) find solutions at the web and also here.

I'm desperate and I wouldn't like to lose this computer just by not having the original screen. Unfortunately I don't have money at this moment to replace the screen, then I have to find an alternative solution.

Maybe you can help me in order to solve my problem.

Any suggestion?

Thanks for all of you!

Mod's Edit: Serial number removed from public view to protect owner from its unwanted use.

EduardoBrazil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 736
Message 2 of 3

Re: How to access the BIOS and see the boot screens in the U310 touch with an external monitor?

No comments, no replies, I believe this problem is too hard to solve! :-(

EduardoBrazil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 696
Message 3 of 3

Re: How to access the BIOS and see the boot screens in the U310 touch with an external monitor?

Once I haven't received any news, I have decided to install the Linux in the ultrabook. The Linux has a lot of distributions, then I have chosen one (Linux Mint), I have created a bootable pendrive, where it is possible to access a live version of the Linux Mint, and for looking at the boot screens, I have seen some videos over the internet where the guys have been using the "new button of Lenovo". Clicking in this button, it was possible to acess to priority of the boot. I have chosen the pendrive (looking for the black, once I didn't have a monitor anymore), and after that, I installed the Linux. It is not necessary to restart a lot of times to install Linux completely, then all steps of the installation process are made in the live system operation which is working in the pendrive. That is it!

Maybe this solution can help another friends here! :-)

Top Kudoed Authors