cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,655

Symptoms

I have a LenovoS10-3t laptop that I purchased a few years ago and have since bought myself a newer/faster laptop.

In a bid to try improving the performance of the older laptop, I performed the OneKeyRecovery function, thinking that this would restore the laptop to its original purchase condition. However, the function did not complete as there was an error (I didn't note down the error code.)

I then rebooted the laptop but Windows was unable to load - instead, there was an error message:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

I was prompted to insert the Windows installaton disk - which I don't have as it did not come with the system. However, I managed to get a Windows XP disk and popped this in, booted up the laptop, changed the BIOS to boot from USB drive CD, pressed F12 for boot menu, and pressed a key to boot from CD.

Then a blue screen appeared, followed by the Windows Setup page, which loaded files (random files appearing in parentheses) and after the message Setup is starting Windows  appears, I got another blue screen, with the message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.  If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again follow these steps: Check for viruses on your computer.  Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.  Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.  Technical Information:  *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7A8B524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) 

Diagnosis

Windows XP does not have the SATA driver necessary for it to recognize the hard disk and continue with installation.

Solution

A workaround is to set the SATA mode to compatability in BIOS so that the XP disc will then recognise the hard drive properly.

s103tbios.PNG

Was this information helpful?

Comments
mr108
Did you have to revert to AHCI mode after installation was finished?
Did you have to install new drivers?
Is the netbook performing much faster now?
Thanks for your feedback on this.