Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
novocane
Punch Card
Views: 8,082
Message 1 of 7

IdeaPad U310 touch: Can no longer enter bios after updating to latest version

I flashed to the latest U310 bios (http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/65cn99ww.exe). I switched to "legacy boot mode" (from UEFI), in an attempt to workaround a driver issue. Now, I'm no longer able to enter BIOS whatsoever. There are plenty of forum posts by many users hitting the same or similar issues on U310/U410/U330 and similar ideapad products. But the resolutions where they exists are either invalid, or involve flashing to 65cn99ww.exe, which is not possible.

[Environment]

Lenovo IdeaPad U310 touch, Windows 8 (also tried Windows 8.1)

[What I did]

Flashed BIOS using official Lenovo bits (65cn99ww.exe). No errors occured

Enter BIOS afterwards and change to legacy boot mode (from UEFI)

[Problem]

Cannot enter BIOS to view or change any settings.

[Debugging]

Try to enter BIOS by key button sequence.

1. Tried the following combinations during bootup: F2, Fn+Fn, F10, Fn+F10, F1, Fn+F1, 'B', 'N', Fn+'B', Fn+'N', Delete, Esc.

==> No change in behaviour. I tried each many times in case the timing is important.

2. Boot by Novo button. This brings up a menu, which includes an entry to enter BIOS. However, choosing that menu entry boots to Windows

3. Reboot to UEFI firmware settings from Windows (Settings/General/Advanced/UEFI). I can choose to boot to UEFI settings, but ultimately, just boots to Windows 8.

4. Try to reflash BIOS. Fails with error 182: Version less than or equal. So reflash fails

5. Try to reflash old BIOS. Flashing fails

6. Unplug battery from motherboard for 1 minute. No difference in behavior

7. Boot with SATA disconnected.

8. Try various flashing options and alternate ways to flash. Not successful

[Conclusion - BIOS is faulty] 

I think this problem can be solved easily with a slightly newer variant of the BIOS being officially released by Lenovo. If someone from Lenovo is reading, can you please open an internal case on this.

Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions from the community. Does anyone know how I can hex edit the bios version #.

Thanks

novocane
Punch Card
Views: 8,061
Message 2 of 7

Re: IdeaPad U310 touch: Can no longer enter bios after updating to latest version

[Update]

After trying a million things, I was able to reset the CMOS from within Windows using the CMOS de-animator tool. I zero'd out my CMOS and then was easily able to enter BIOS on next boot. The tool is available here: http://boginjr.com/it/sw/dev/de-cmos3/

This is a kinda high risk tool to workaround Lenovo's terribly buggy BIOS. But I can confirm, at least, that it works successfully on my Lenovo u310 touch. But use at your own risk. Hope it can help out the next person.

Lenovo: fix your buggy BIOS!!

botancheg
Paper Tape
Views: 6,691
Message 3 of 7

Re: IdeaPad U310 touch: Can no longer enter bios after updating to latest version

Not impressed with Lenovo. First I had to change to Legacy after flashing to latest BIOS because my laptop wouldn't boot (I'm lucky I found this page). Now I can't enter BIOS or boot from a flash drive. This is crazy. What option did you choose in de-animator? Wipe checksum or wipe full?
Where's Lenovo Support to address this? Granted I updated BIOS to 65CN99WW from Windows 7, but I've had the same issues with people who updated from 8-8.1
novocane
Punch Card
Views: 6,516
Message 4 of 7

@botancheg wrote:
Not impressed with Lenovo. First I had to change to Legacy after flashing to latest BIOS because my laptop wouldn't boot (I'm lucky I found this page). Now I can't enter BIOS or boot from a flash drive. This is crazy. What option did you choose in de-animator? Wipe checksum or wipe full?
Where's Lenovo Support to address this? Granted I updated BIOS to 65CN99WW from Windows 7, but I've had the same issues with people who updated from 8-8.1

I originally tried "wipe checksum", but that didn't help, so next I did full wipe, which did clear the CMOS settings (but not BIOS), and I was able to re-enter BIOS.

Lenovo seems to be totally silent on this one.

Perhaps it's related to the class action lawsuit on this line of laptops...

https://www.lenovolaptopwifisettlement.com/

Former Administrator
Views: 6,591
Message 5 of 7

All,

When I navigate to the U310T (touch) on the support site, I'm not finding a BIOS update.

It may be that we have removed it.  The U310 (non-touch) does still show BIOS 65 available here for Windows 8/8.1 and BIOS 21 on the same page for Windows 7.

Is it possible that you have a touch model and applied the non-touch BIOS?

Mark

botancheg
Paper Tape
Views: 6,579
Message 6 of 7

I don't have touch. It's regular U310. Btw I'm able to enter BIOS by pressing Fn+F2. Before that I never had to use Fn, I always pressed F2 alone. Also I can't enter boot menu, which used to be F10. To boot from USB, I had to change by boot order in BIOS. It was a bit complicated since F6 (move item up) doesn't work anymore for some reason, only F5 (move item down) works. But I still have to keep legacy mode if not it won't boot into Windows.

ron-in-raleigh
Paper Tape
Views: 761
Message 7 of 7

I just want to say that I ran across the same issues. Before finding this post, I opened a post at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-U-and-S-Series-Notebooks/U310-Touch-batttery-bios-boot-issues/m-.... The solution proposed here fixed my problem. I was finally able to get into the BIOS!

Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors