Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SoggyBottomDude
Punch Card
Views: 2,154
Message 1 of 6

IdeaPad U330 - HD ok, where's SSD?

Since I've installed Windows 8.1 Update I've a lot of problems... (First watermark secure boot, now Sleep/Cache/Hibernation-Whatever-problems) Now I was looking up my system and I cannot find my SSD.

I own the U330 Touch with st500lx005-1cw162. (500gb HD and supposed to be 16gb SSD) I guess it's both in one, cause of the -1cw162 ending. Nevertheless shouldn't it be shown somewhere somehow? Or is it all managed by the Drive itself? Shouldn't it be possible to install some driver or so then?

I know it's a small one (16gb) and only used as cache. But shouldn't it be shown in Diskmanagement or at least in Intel Rapid Storage?

The expresscache-command eccmd.exe -info doesn't show anything either, but I can't follow those steps http://download.lenovo.com/express/HT074404.html , because it is not shown in Diskmanag....

Please help me!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,130
Message 2 of 6

Re: IdeaPad U330 - HD ok, where's SSD?

hi SoggyBottomDude,

As Windows 8.1 is still new, you may experience software / driver compatibility issues after upgrading your system from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. Check this Windows 8.1 Upgrade Guide by Lenovo for hints, tips, and limitations found during testing of Windows® 8.1 on supported Ideapad systems

For the hard drive, according to the lenovo spare parts, the Seagate ST500LX005-1CW162 (500GB+16GB cache) is an SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drive). You will not be able to see the 16GB cache (NAND flash memory) as it works within the drive via firmware (Adaptive Memory technology).

Check these articles for more info:

Laptop Solid State Hybrid Drive & Laptop Thin SSHD

Adaptive Memory Technology in Solid State Hybrid Drives

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

SoggyBottomDude
Punch Card
Views: 2,126
Message 3 of 6

OK, thank you for the answer. Does Intel Rapid Storage then help anything or can I delete the driver?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,101
Message 4 of 6

hi SoggyBottomDude,

The Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver is a controller used for RAID configurations. Since the U330 Touch only have one HDD slot, it will not benefit from the RAID feature but may benefit from AHCI's advanced SATA features such as Native Command Queuing and Native Hot Plug.

According to this pdf user guide:

"Native Command Queuing (NCQ) is a feature supported by AHCI that allows SATA hard drives to accept more than one command at a time. NCQ, when used in conjunction with one or more hard drives that support NCQ, increases storage performance on random workloads by allowing the drive to internally optimize the order of commands."

"Hot plug, also referred to as hot swap, is a feature supported by AHCI that allows SATA hard drives to be removed or inserted while the system is powered on and running. As an example, hot plug may be used to replace a failed hard drive that is in an externally-accessible drive enclosure"

See "What is Intel Rapid Storage Technology?" for more info.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

SoggyBottomDude
Punch Card
Views: 2,048
Message 5 of 6

Thx again for the answers you already gave!

But as the hibernate problems still occur every x-th time, I'm still searching for every possibility; and I was wondering about the hiberfil.sys file, but I can't find it. Shouldn't it be on C:\?

I mean, I understand that it's one of the files that could be moved to the SSD-part, but shouldn't I be able to see somehow if it is even existing?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,014
Message 6 of 6

hi SoggyBottomDude,

The hibernation file (hiberfil.sys) is located in the root directory (C:\) but you will need to unhide the system files first before you can see it (check this guide). Also, as per this microsoft thread, you can't change the location of the hibernation file as the Windows bootloader reads it on a the OS drive when Windows resumes (you may however minimize the size if you find it too large - see this guide)

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors