Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LenovoHinge
Paper Tape
Views: 10,672
Message 21 of 213

Re: IdeaPad U530 Touch Hinge struck.

I am now having the same problem. I bought a U530 4 months ago and now I can't open it because the left hinge is broken. I am very disappointed, great computer if I could only open it
ojibway25
Paper Tape
Views: 10,646
Message 22 of 213

Adding my name to the hat and computer to this extensive list. Disappointed, but frankly not surprised to discover my hinge failure isn't an anomoly. I've had my computer since April 2014 and have never been thrilled with it. One of the problems was that the lid always seemed a little too stiff. Now it's clear why. Sending it in to be repaired tomorrow. Based on the other comments, it'll be interesting to see how much push back they give to servicing this under warranty. It's an absolutely ridiculous problem and clearly a defective part.

Former Employee
Views: 10,751
Message 23 of 213

Lenovo has concluded an investigation into reports of hinge mount failures on U430 Touch and U530 Touch laptops. If the laptop has not been dropped or otherwise damaged, and is under warranty, contact Lenovo Service for support. 

Please reference Service TIP HT102591.

Thank you,

opxger
Paper Tape
Views: 10,621
Message 24 of 213

Well, I bought my u530 about a year ago when I was on a trip to the USA. I'm still on warranty for another couple of days but I've been trying to contact lenovo here for the past 2 weeks and the only way given by the company is a phone number that does not work. My laptop snaped and and has the same problem all these people do. I take really good care of my computer and it has never had any falls. Hardware is perfect, the only problem were the hinges. I am about to lose my warranty because support is not available. I came online and this makes sure the problem is factory, because all these people have the same. I paid a lot of money for my computer and I'm not gonna pay for a repair, it's Lenovo's job to do that. If I can't contact Lenovo by the end of the week I'm going to file a lawsuit, because this is my work computer and I need it daily. I would like to know how I can contact support since the phone number on the website does not exist.

ojibway25
Paper Tape
Views: 10,612
Message 25 of 213

this number listed in an earlier comment worked for me

1877-453-6686

select option 4 if I remember correctly

rickbreedlove
Paper Tape
Views: 10,437
Message 26 of 213

Question for Amy Tupper of Lenovo.......my U530 Touch hinge failed the very day (Monday, 2/23/2015) that you posted the message about Lenovo honoring the warranty on hinge failures if there was no evidence of abuse.  My computer has been handled as though it was a dozen eggs since I received it!  It was a wonderful computer and I had anticipated many years of use as there was no indication of any hinge issue until it just "snapped".

My computer has been at Lenovo since 3/4/2015 and I am now told that the ETA for parts is 4/6/2015.  Assuming this is correct, I suppose I will receive my computer back in my possession on or about the third week of April.  

I am concerned as to how the computer will be repaired.  If the computer is repaired in the same manner it was manufactured, will there be an extension of warranty, say equivalent to the original warranty of one year?  If not, what will be the warranty as it will have spent approximately six weeks of its original warranty period in the shop being repaired?  Further, will it be possible to purchase an extended warranty as I don't see how the original hinge design will stand up to the opening and closing rigors imposed by daily use?

Answers to these questions will allow me to determine if my "laptop" will become a desktop machine and whether I choose to have any further business with Lenovo.  I would appreciate your thoughts and answers.  You may reach me at my personal email if you prefer to reach me off line.  Thank you! 

bmcclendon
Paper Tape
Views: 10,388
Message 27 of 213

Just wanted to give you guys some info on my experience with this problem. Both of the hinges on my year old U530 locked up and broke, tearing some of the plastic setting away with them. My warranty was about 5 days from ending. I called Lenovo and confirmed that they had the part in stock to fix my laptop; they set me up with FedEx and paid for shipping (including a heavily padded laptop shipping case). I sent off my laptop on February 14th, they received it on the 18th.

I checked the parts ETA online and was surprised that the date was April 6th, so I sent a questioning email. I finally received a call on March 9th and a Lenovo representative told me that they would be refunding me for the cost of my laptop instead of fixing it. They needed my original purchase receipt to do so. 

I told him that I was very disappointed that it had taken almost a month for this information to get to me, that it had wasted a great deal of my time, and looking for a new laptop would take even more. In response, the representative offered me 15% off a new laptop from Lenovo. 

TL;DR: Send your laptop in if your hinges break, but make sure to back up everything first because they probably won't fix it, they'll just refund you.

I hope this gives y'all some insight in what to expect.

Highlighted
ojibway25
Paper Tape
Views: 10,379
Message 28 of 213

I forgot to replay and update, but I had a nearly identical experience to the above. Luckily I just called them when I received an update that "the part is not in stock and we will update you when we have an update to provide." Instead, by calling them I found out the part would take a month, and I asked for a refund at that point. The service support put my request into the system and said I would receive a call from customer (?) support within three business days. They did call and offered me an alternative laptop or a full refund. I chose the latter without hesitation. They are also mailing me back my hard drive. My final experience with Lenovo was pretty nice - both people I spoke with were helpful.

rickbreedlove
Paper Tape
Views: 10,371
Message 29 of 213

Question for Amy Tupper of Lenovo.......my U530 Touch hinge failed the very day (Monday, 2/23/2015) that you posted the message about Lenovo honoring the warranty on hinge failures if there was no evidence of abuse.  My computer has been handled as though it was a dozen eggs since I received it!  It was a wonderful computer and I had anticipated many years of use as there was no indication of any hinge issue until it just "snapped".

My computer has been at Lenovo since 3/4/2015 and I am now told that the ETA for parts is 4/6/2015.  Assuming this is correct, I suppose I will receive my computer back in my possession on or about the third week of April.  

I am concerned as to how the computer will be repaired.  If the computer is repaired in the same manner it was manufactured, will there be an extension of warranty, say equivalent to the original warranty of one year?  If not, what will be the warranty as it will have spent approximately six weeks of its original warranty period in the shop being repaired?  Further, will it be possible to purchase an extended warranty as I don't see how the original hinge design will stand up to the opening and closing rigors imposed by daily use?

Answers to these questions will allow me to determine if my "laptop" will become a desktop machine and whether I choose to have any further business with Lenovo.  I would appreciate your thoughts and answers.  You may reach me at my personal email if you prefer to reach me off line.  Thank you! 

Moderator comment: Merged in. Subject edited. Was: Hinge Failure ~ Question for Amy_Tupper of Lenovo

rmoen
Paper Tape
Views: 10,331
Message 30 of 213

Get ready to be ignored.

Moderators of this forum will remove any new thread about an existing topic onto that topic, so they don't have to do anything about it and it won't look bad as "unanswered".

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors