Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
omihic
What's DOS?
Views: 4,454
Message 171 of 213

U530 Touch Hinge Failure

I see that other users have had the same issue as what I am having. 9 months after my warranty expired my hinge failed and ripped the plastic off the screen. It was just stuck and was pulling on the screen plastic. My screen no longer comes on. My computer is not yet 2 years old!

When I tried calling customer service (in Phillipines - this is how you know a company gave up), everyone pretended to not know anything about this known issue. I requested manager call back several times, and it's been 2 weeks no call back!

Furthermore, someone is telling my extended warranty through Visa that this is accidental damage, and you know nothing about this problem, so now they won't cover the damage either.

I demand something in writing saying this is a known issue, so that I can at least get it covered though my extended warranty! You clearly know about it, there are quite a few forum posts about it!

Last effort,

Thx.

Mod's Edit: Merged this discussion in with existing thread.

Mod edit per forum guidelines.

irvin1
Punch Card
Views: 4,441
Message 172 of 213

Re: U530 Touch Hinge Failure

Sorry to see another person in this position. Please keep us informed of how it goes.

omihic
What's DOS?
Views: 4,400
Message 173 of 213

Re: IdeaPad U530 Touch Hinge struck.

I posted the same thread, and they moved it here. This thread says it's solved. There is nothing that has been solved on my end! The solution you have does not work. You customer service is not helping any of us. I expect a response!

yu_jie
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,273
Message 174 of 213

I am having the same problem with people here. I have U530 Touch for 2-year and 4 months. It's fine last evening. But this morning, when I was trying to close the laptop, I could not. I noticed that left hinge did not move and ripped the plastic off, LCD above the hinge cracked. I called Lenovo. As you can imagine what the tech support said: It's out of Warranty! The products were tested good then. Does everyone here experiencing the same problem think it's manufacter's fault? I believe because I take care of my laptop and I brought it to workplace only one a week most of the time. I acknowledge so far everything else about my U530 Touch works fine. But, Lenovo should really take the responsibility to fix this problem if you truly care your brand and reputation.

Steve634
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,257
Message 175 of 213

Good luck, I got run around. I don't think they care

meiser15
Paper Tape
Views: 4,225
Message 176 of 213

in December 2014 i bough a ideapad u530 laptop and just now the rigt hinge came off and broke the touch screen of my laptop, i talked to customer service and they do nothing, i google this problem and surprisingly im not the only one with the same problem. this is a manufacturing problem from lenovo and we, the users are the ones affected, now i have an expensive laptop that wont work anymore, i take perfect care of the machine ( it is atthe office all time ) never dropped and now is broken by it self, i believe that's somethiing lenovo has to take care because i said before it is a manufacturing problem and you can see all over internet many people have the same problem, it is not because of mistreating the machine it is all about bad materials used on manufacturing. 

im going to take this problem to public consumer bureau because isn't right we pay for bad manufacturing practices.

Moderator note: moved post from 7-year old Y510 thread to current U530 thread.  Changed subject to match.  Was:  filing a complaint

Steve634
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,202
Message 177 of 213

I hope you get something out of it. Lenovo just sucks and does not care 

tcallag
Paper Tape
Views: 3,922
Message 178 of 213

I also have the hinge problem, and mine is broken in the middle of the hinge. I am surprised that Lenovo has never issued a hinge recall based upon the number of forum posts with the same failure. If this were a safety issue like the exploding Note 7s on airplanes, this issue would already be resolved. Let's face it, no one has been hurt yet from a broken hinge on a Lenovo laptop. It is sad to think real personal danger must exist first before manufacturers will stand behind their products.

MonkeyBait
What's DOS?
Views: 3,713
Message 179 of 213

Wow, I consider myself lucky... NOT.  Bought a new Lenovo U530 September 5, 2014 from Best Buy in the States.  This machine sat on a desk, unclosed, most all of the time.

Last week, closed the laptop and took it on vacation.  Got to the destination, went to open it, and CRACK - you guessed it, left side hinge (as you are looking at the machine) popped and the plastic bezel stayed at the keyboard level.  It appears the metal around the hinge screws severed, most likely due to the hinge problem identified here.

Has anyone had any success getting a unit that is out of warranty repaired?  My warranty ended in September 2015... so much for the additional one year hazard warranty purchased along with it.

Any advise (other than a shotgun to the unit) would be appreciated.

irvin1
Punch Card
Views: 3,709
Message 180 of 213

It is interesting that you pointed out the lack of personal danger that this defect has. If you have had the time to read all of the posts on this thread from 4-23-14 forward, you will see a great many people have posted with this same problem. I read them all when my laptop hinge broke to find out what to do. There are hardly any posts by Lenovo administrators. As I recall, there were a few posts from one who was obstensibly researching the issue. This resulted in the "Solved!" banner you might have seen. The only other post from a (different) administrator (5-21-15) that I saw was in response to someone whose hinge had broken as well, and who mentioned there were exposed wires that were giving off smoke. This post was responded to in a timely manner (almost a month, timely for Lenovo, especially since the overwhelming majority of customers with simply a broken hinge, without wires shorting out, have been ignored). That was a long, convoluted sentence, for which I apologize. To make it clearer, Lenovo was johnny-on-the-spot when someone reported that their laptop's damaged hinge was impinging on wires that might cause a fire and injure someone. For all we/they know, our wires could also be shorting out due to the broken hinge. And you and I, and hundreds of other people, have very expensive,  Lenovo U530 paperweights.

Mod edit:  Removed comment bordering on Guidelines violation.  Please review the guidelines before posting.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors