Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Krsathyab4u
Paper Tape
Views: 24,238
Message 1 of 213

IdeaPad U530 Touch Hinge struck.

Hi guys,

I bought U530 Touch From best buy , new orleans before 4 months. Every thing was great except opening and closing of the lap was becoming tight. i thought its meant to be like that, one day i was opening my lap like always but what i heard was a creak noise and the screen is cracked, the metal hinge joint on the left side was struck its not at all moving it had broken away from plastic side and have cracked the screen where it broke away from lcd side.

The metal hinge is still struck and am not able to move it, its struck at 35* and it will not move.

Pls advise me what i should do, its still under warranty, its definitely not my fault, its the hinge joint that gave up struck. This is my first laptop, feeling so bad, please help me..
alec481997
Paper Tape
Views: 23,956
Message 2 of 213

Re: IdeaPad U530 Touch Hinge struck.

Yea I have the exact same problem, must be a defect; I'm sending in mine right now to get fixed under the standard warranty.

Malados
What's DOS?
Views: 23,814
Message 3 of 213

We just had the exact same thing happen on our laptop. The lid just seemed to be a just a bit  tight over time, and today we opened the laptop to a creak and a pop! The left hinge had frozen in the closed position, which broke out the bottom of the LCD screen glass and now won't allow the screen to open up fully.

I am glad to see we were not the only ones affected by this defect. Luckily we chose Lenovo over Microsoft and HP when we had a purchase choice to make. We will be sending this in for repair under the standard warranty. Our machine is just over 2 months old.

dwumah
What's DOS?
Views: 23,593
Message 4 of 213

Were you able to send your U530 in for repair? I have the same problem and can't seem to reach customer service to schedule a warranty repair.
alec481997
Paper Tape
Views: 23,585
Message 5 of 213

@dwumah wrote:
Were you able to send your U530 in for repair? I have the same problem and can't seem to reach customer service to schedule a warranty repair.

We were thankfully, under standard warranty, however, it took some arguing and persuation since at first glance it seemed like an issue that came from excessive force. A faulty hinge is nothing but the manufacterer's fault. If you truly were not the cause of the problem then you should be fine, otherwise you might need to upgrade your warranty to cover accidental damage.

vparolin
What's DOS?
Views: 23,336
Message 6 of 213

U530 Touch - Hinge stuck open

Hello,

I've been with my U530 touch that I bought in the USA for several months now. Eveything was working fine until today, when I tried to close the lid of the laptop, I noticed there was something wrong. The hinge cover (the long black piece of plastic) popped of on the left side. I put it back in place and tried to close the lid again. It popped off again. Then I noticed that the left hinge wasn't moving at all. The hinge on the right side moves smoothly. I can see the metal cilinder standing still and the bracket moving around it. On the left side, the whole thing doesn't move at all. I also noticed that there's a little black pastic part right under the metal plate of the hinge that seems to have cracked.

I eventually quit trying to close the lid because it was obvious that the left hinge would break the screen off if I tried to close it any further. (Yes, that meant I had to take the packed train home with the stupid computer OPEN).

What can I do to fix this? I absolutely need to take my computer to work everyday, so I'm really in need of some help.

Carefully,

connorp
What's DOS?
Views: 23,171
Message 7 of 213

Hello yes essentially the same problem over here. Got my U530 about 4 months ago, then one day in class I'm closing it and *crack*. I popped it back into place but it's just been happening ever since. Good to see others having this problem as well.

Harleyman2014
Fanfold Paper
Views: 22,990
Message 8 of 213

I bought my U530 in March 2014 and it seemed great until yesterday December 28 2014 when i went to close it. The right side hinge  broke off the plastic it was attached to. I paid $879.00 from Best Buy and they will not do a thing for me. I am trying to go through Lenevo now.... This is my work computer and it sits on my desk all day, I close it at night and lock in in the safe. I do not think I was too hard on it at all. This is really frustrating...

moshpot
What's DOS?
Views: 22,922
Message 9 of 213

I am currently having the same issue. The left hinge broke and right where it did, the screen cracked. There was no excessive force or anything that I would deem misuse. As I closed the laptop, the hinge just cracked the screen. I have already sent it in for repairs and at this point Lenovo, claiming it is due to misuse, is trying to charge me 489.00 for the repair. I feel let down by what I thought was a good company. Obviously this left hinge problem is a known issue and in my opinion should be a recall.

The case is currently escalated and I am waiting on a call in three business days from Lenovo. This will be the basis on whether or not I will ever buy a Lenovo product again.

I am disappointed, but I am also typing this on my Lenovo desktop that has been great so I know they do also make quality products as well. Lenovo team, here's for hoping you restore my faith in your company. 

rcwoolston
Paper Tape
Views: 22,900
Message 10 of 213

I had the same problem. Let me know how you escelation goes. I just sent mine in. I am hoping that they will repair it without trying to charge me for it. I found a thread with other series and they are not charging customers for it. Even when they are out of warranty. Here is the thread 

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Re-U310-Touch-Hinge/td-p/1333967/page/12

It seems to be a problem with several of there models.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors