Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robertmol
Not applicable
Views: 503
Message 1 of 2

IdeaPad s10-3 memory type

I have an s10-3 model 0647 with xubuntu installed.

processor is n455

I would like to upgrade to 2gb memory.

lshw indicates I have ddr2 (1 gb ) installed.

I ordered a ddr2 memory stick based on lshw output and calls to

lenovo and crucial.

However the pin configuration of the original memory stick is not for ddr2

memory sticks. It appears to be more like ddr3 memory stick pin configuration.

The original memory manufacturer is ramaxel but I cannot read more info from the stick.

What is going on? lshw tells me I have ddr2 but pin config of original looks like ddr3.

Highlighted
spidey101
Not applicable
Views: 479
Message 2 of 2

Re: IdeaPad s10-3 memory type

Hi robertmol,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

You can check the parts details using your serial number here. Click on as built or model under Configuration and filter the commodity type to memory to get the part number and description of the ram intended for your machine.

SImilarly, you can call tech support to verify it or chat with them during business hours. You can also send me a private message with the SN whichever is convenient to you.

I hope this helps answer your query.

Regards

***edit notes***

Hardware manual also shows recommended ram mostly are DDR3.

What I usually do when I scavenge bunch of ram to separate the ddr2 and ddr3 is to match it with another along with the slots. You can try a spare known ddr3/ ddr2 to compare.

Else use a ruler to reference it from the image:

220px-Laptop_SODIMM_DDR_Memory_Comparison_V2.svg.png 

Counting pins is tiring but can be done:

• 200-pin SO-DIMMs (DDR SDRAM or DDR2 SDRAM) have a single notch nearer to one side. The exact location of this notch varies.
  • 204-pin SO-DIMMs (DDR3 SDRAM) have a single notch closer to the center than on 200-pin SO-DIMMs

As you have tried DDR3 now matching the slots then we expect that this should work with the added ram. Other tools for detection may not accurately get the info as they read from its own collected database so best to check the parts physically along with the specifications intended by the OEM.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors