Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 16 (5,534 Views)

Ideapad S10-3 not booting after windows 7 updates

Hi Experts,

I have an Ideapad S10-3 notebook with WIndows 7. It was all well untill i installed some Windows-7 Updatss. After the updates were done, the system got restarted and after that it never booted. I just get the first Lenovo Screen with the F2 and F12 options. Nothing after that. If i press F2, it goes to the BIOS menu but if i press the F12 option,, then again nothing happens. I just see a black  blank screen with the cursor blinking on the left top corner. Can someone please help me get back system working again. Would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vijay

Community Moderator
Message 2 of 16 (5,506 Views)

Re: Ideapad S10-3 not booting after windows 7 updates

Hi and welcome, try to press F8 for
Windows Advanced Boot Options screen, that start
 Windows in advanced troubleshooting modes.

You can access the menu by turning on your computer
and pressing the F8 key before Windows starts.

.. choose safe mode, start Windows
to set default settings ,device drivers, services as possible causes.

If you didnt get F8 (Windows save mode) ,

try to repair with Windows 7 Rescue Disc, (Intention of this only for Repair not for complete install !) 
download  here get x86 version    , boot with that special disc, click for repair , and hope that this works..

sincerely KalvinKlein

Yoga 2 - Yoga tablet 2 - Yoga Home 900 - ThinkPad X220 All Win 10
Blue Screen Again
Message 3 of 16 (5,471 Views)

I'm having this same problem. I have a USB bootable drive and it won't boot. I can choose the drive with f12 but I get the same thing... blank screen with cursor blinking in top left. I was thinking mbr somehow got corrupted, but I've always been able to boot from USB if that happens.
Blue Screen Again
Message 4 of 16 (5,470 Views)

Also, f8 does nothing to open win boot options.
Community Moderator
Message 5 of 16 (5,460 Views)

start to press it till the boot options load.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Blue Screen Again
Message 6 of 16 (5,438 Views)

It would be nice to be able to do that, but the computer is getting stuck after the lenovo logo but before the hard drive would begin loading. I can hook it up to my desktop and it will boot (until it crashes because it's x64), and I can boot up my USB drive on the desktop, but no matter what I cannot boot from a HDD or USB on the laptop. f12 menu or not.

What's DOS?
Message 7 of 16 (5,455 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions but none of them worked. However, i could get my ideapad working finally by doing the following.

As soon as the Lenovo Logo screen is displayed, press F2 to enter the boot menu. In the Boot menu, there is an option for the compatability of the Hard DIsk with options as AHCI [or something similar]  vs Compatible. I do not know what was the settings before but in the non-working condition, the setting was AHCI. I then changed it to "Compatible" and restarted after saving the configuration. It then loaded windows.

However, i do not how the setting changed to AHCI. Also in the AHCI mode, my USB drive wouldnt get detected. After i changed to the compatible mode, it detects and i was able to load Ubuntu from the USB disk as well (as book disk).

Try out  if this can solve your problem in such scenario.

Regards,

Vijay

Blue Screen Again
Message 8 of 16 (5,424 Views)

No luck with that for me. Thanks for the tip, though. I was in compatible, tried AHCI, then back to compatible. Nothing still. May have to call tech support for this one.

Blue Screen Again
Message 9 of 16 (5,422 Views)

Can't get any device to boot the computer

I've been posting in a previous thread and it got solved, though the solution did not fix mine, so I will post a new thread.

I have win 7 pro, no updates. Upon rebooting the other day, the laptop would show the Lenovo screen and then go to a blank screen with just a blinking cursor in the top left of the screen. Changing BIOS settings does nothing, resetting to defaults does nothing, removing battery and holding down power button does nothing, and I can't boot any of my bootable USB drives.

Is there some way to flash the BIOS back to original or an updated version without being able to run any OS? This is the oddest occurence with all of my IT experience that I have ever had with a computer. Any ideas?

Punch Card
Message 10 of 16 (5,417 Views)

Re: Can't get any device to boot the computer

maybe try removing the hard drive and then booting then replacing the hard drive.... alternatively you could always mount the drive to another computer and install linux to it (since it is a sata drive and it accepts the same sata power/data connectors as a regular pc) ....i wouldn't recommend installing windows that way...but it is possible also the benefit of hooking it up to another computer is that you could look at the drive before erasing and copy all the data and look at the windows files to see if anything looks corrupt i was stuck in a lenovo catch22 situation too, where i had enabled quick start when lenovo has provided no way undoing quick start in the bios after it is enabled...therefore i couldnt access the bios or boot from an alternative device =( lenovo support definately isnt the best
Top kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count