05-06-2016 05:39 PM - last edited on 05-09-2016 07:20 AM by zoltanthegypsy
Hello Lenovo Community!
I've decided to ... upgrade my VERY OLD Lenovo IdeaPad U160 bought wayyyy back in 2010.
Since I've been consuming the internet and not contributing to it for a long time, I'll start by documenting my upgrade trials here. Please chime in (and answer a few questions) along the way!
Here's what I'd like to upgrade and the replacement components:
1. Storage: 500 GB HD to 500 GB SSD -- $150 -- Samsung EVO 2.5" 500GB SSD (via The Wirecutter recommendation)
2. Memory: 4 GB RAM to 8 GB RAM -- $38 -- Crucial 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM : CT5305724 (via this other thread)
3. Battery -- ~$40 -- TBD
4. WiFi Card -- ~$35 -- TBD
Couple questions for the community:
1. Any recommendations on how/what software to use for backing-up and transferring data on the HD to a new SSD?
2. Anyone have experience upgrading a IdeaPad U160?
3. Is the WiFi Card on the IdeaPad U160 replaceable/ugradeable?
4. Any recommendations on battery replacement brands?
RAM replacement is in en route! I'll update soon with how the installation went!
Moderator note: post edited to conform with Community Guidelines
07-27-2016 03:46 AM
Since I just bought a U160 because it's much lighter than my Y500 and I would like to upgrade it as well it would be awesome to learn more about the progress you have made so far.
Greetings from Austria,