Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dtuite
Fanfold Paper
Views: 540
Message 1 of 6

Insufficient clearance to remove DRAM module

Don't see this elsewhere, so I assume it;s me, but it's still a problem.

With the bottom cover removed, there appears to be insufficient clearance to unclip and remove the memory module.  I was going  to attach a photo below, but I can't without making that a link..

Here's what you'd see. The module retaining clip adjacent to the HD is very accessible. The other one is buried an eight of an inch or so beneath the plastic cover.  I can stick a screwdriver under there to push on the clip, but there is no good way to get a grip on the module. In other laptops, my experience is that the free end of a memory module springs up to offer a grip after you push the retaining clips aside.  That can't happen here.  Does the module just slide horizontally toward the middle of the machine?  If it does, what do you push on?  How much resistance should there be? What's the trick?

Vince69
Bit Torrent
Views: 479
Message 2 of 6

Re: Insufficient clearance to remove DRAM module

Hello mate,

There is no link for the photo. But i'll say if the plastic cover is the problem remove it.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

dtuite
Fanfold Paper
Views: 469
Message 3 of 6

Thanks Vince.  I started to do just that, but realized that really meant taking off the palm rest and keyboard -- sort of like those new operations where they slice your gut open and move the icky bits aside in order to fix your spine.

I've learned over many years not to do that sort of thing in a hurry, especially when there are unanswered questions, like:

Why am I the only bloke in the planet who can"t just pop his module out of the machine?  and:

What applications am I planning on running that need more than one GB for swapping?  (Okay, there's InDesign, but just for the final edits I do when the Managing Editor sends me page proofs and asks me to kill seven lines of copy. But I generally do that on the company-supplied Laptop -- which doesn't even have a whole GB!)

Cheers,

Don

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 454
Message 4 of 6

s10-3t mem.JPG

actual Pic S10-3t ...

Hi there... yes its small room to handle.. but possible.. Smiley Happy

sincerely KalvinKlein 

Yoga Home 900 - Yoga 2 11- Yoga tablet 2 all WIN 10 1809
Moto Z Play - Moto Z2 Play
dtuite
Fanfold Paper
Views: 449
Message 5 of 6

Good.  Now imagine the module shifted 1/8-inch to the right. The right-side retaining clip is entirely covered by the plastic bottom panel and even if I reach in with scrrewdriver and push the clip sideways, the module is held down by what's on the other side of that star-shaped metal thing.

That's impossible, right?  these things are machine assembled and the motherboard and case clearances are in fractions of a millimeter. You couldn't do a force-fit and have the device work.  Yet it does work and it's the way I've described.

And it's a recently assembled machine.  The sticker is a little blurry in places, but it says it was assembled  at plant CS20 in Singapore on January 4 of this year, and the serial number appears to be QBxxxxxxxx.  (That's the sticker ro rhe right of the air holes over the module.  The sticker with the bar code has the same S/N to the left of another number: QBxxxxxxxx.)

(That's probably TMI, but you never know what clue will help.)

Moderator Note; s/n edited for members own protection

dtuite
Fanfold Paper
Views: 430
Message 6 of 6

I have a photo on Picasa.. Do I just use the "insert image" tool ans paste in the URL?  That gives me a broken image icon in the post-message window, which makes me reluctant to complete the post.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors