cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
InfiraSys
Serial Port
Message 1 of 21

Just bought an S10, fan grinding right out of the box

Hello everyone, I just bought an S10 because of how good quailty Lenovos are claimed to be. I, however am having a problem with my newly bought IdeaPad S10 4333-22u.

As soon as I turned my Lenovo on and it booted to Windows I noticed the fan came on and was buzzing/grinding. It mas making a noise as if the bearing in the fan were going bad or the core of the fan needed a few drops of oil. I am a PC Tech by trade and have encountered many failing fans so I am familiar with the sound they often make before siezing.

After the Netbook ran a little while and heated up, the buzzing/grinding wasn't so loud, but definately present. You could hear the noise from quite a distance away. After searching the web, I found threads complaining of S10 fan noise, but the general idea I got from the forums was simply that the "whirring" noise of a normal operating fan was simply quite loud for a netbook when the S10's fan was at full RPM. My fan on the other hand, is clearly and quite audibly gridning. I don't believe this is what the users on these forums mean when they refer to the S10's noisy fan, correct?

I really like this Netbook and would rather not return it, so I called Lenovo and they promptly sent an RMA Fed-Ex label so that I can send the unit to their service center for a heatsink/fan replacement.

My question is, what does everyone mean when they say their S10 fan is loud? Can anyone describe it? Is it possible someone can record the noise their S10 makes and upload it to the web for me to hear and compare to mine? Is the general consensus that if it's buzzing/grinding it needs to be replaced?... especially on a brand new unit?

I can understand the fan being noisy as in the usual whirring/wind flowing noise fans usually make, but buzzing shouldn't be apart of it correct? I am only asking because this is a brand new unit to me and I also want to know what to expect on return from the Lenovo service center.

Thanks in advance for any help

InfiraSys
Serial Port
Message 2 of 21

Re: Just bought an S10, fan grinding right out of the box

Well, I suppose it's the fan blades rubbing on the fan housing like I just read deep in one of the threads. Either way, to the service center it goes....

Community Moderator Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Message 3 of 21

Hi and welcome...

yes that could be "" fan blades rubbing on the fan housing"" ... in this rare  case i would prefer call for service...

when you start  the system fan runs 3-4 seconds at highspeed , then it will stop ...when the temp is raised... then start at a low rpm... In newer systems the fan is well quiet...

sincerely KalvinKlein

Yoga 2 - Yoga tablet 2 - Yoga Home 900 - ThinkPad X220 All Win 10
InfiraSys
Serial Port
Message 4 of 21

Thanks for your reply KalvinKlein,

It's quite frustrating being a brand new unit and I picked it up after returning a different brand Netbook with severe freezing problems. I bought a Netbook weeks ago haven't been able to actually "use" one yet. Smiley Sad

Either the S10 has a bad bearing and is failing or indeed the fan is rubbing. I have called for service and shipped the unit out 2-day express this morning but I'm sure the New Year will delay.

I have no issue with the way the fan operates however, mine stays off completely until I'm well booted into Windows and it physically gets warm, then the fan runs. (buzzing/grinding of course) I also wouldn't personally say the fan is terribly loud if the buzzing/grinding were to be fixed. IMO, the fan operates similiarly to other Notebooks I've had, aside from the grinding/rubbing.

I am worried because I have read a couple others talking about their fans rubbing after a month of use, and when mine is fixed will it too do that in a months time(again)? I really debated whether to return the S10, but decided to send for service and see how it goes because I love the unit otherwise. I also left a note inside the box with a packet of higher-quailty thermal compound and I hope the service center uses it instead of the thermal pads when replacing the HSF unit.

I hope all is well after the repair, but I don't have too much faith in service centers anymore but we'll see I suppose.

Thanks again

InfiraSys
Serial Port
Message 5 of 21

I finally have my Netbook under my fingers and am typing on it now.

Initially, Lenovo sent my Netbook to the WRONG repair depot. They sent it to Texas!! After about two weeks waiting and calling, I got my Unixed netbook back.

After calling AGAIN, requesting that they pro-rate my warranty for time lost (they did) and overnight it both ways (they did) it was sent to the correct depot in TN. Just got it back this morning (Great service to and from the TN depot) and the fan is running right now with no buzzing or grinding. My fan operates about like this:

Few seconds when first turned on. It stops, runs again once unit is warm. It turns on and off on it's own and isn't overly noisy at all.

For example: It was off, I uninstalled the Office 2007 trial to install my paid version. It turned on and stayed on during uninstall of Office but shut off quickly once uninstall was complete. Same with the install.It doesn't come on when just browsing webpages though.

It really seems like it comes on less frequently after they replaced the "FAN ASM" - which might be due to better thermal compound used. Not sure if they used it, but I included a packet of some to the depot.

So, all is well at the moment. I'm happy.

InfiraSys
Serial Port
Message 6 of 21

I take it back. Didn't take long to start grinding again. This is why I continue to have no faith in service depots or Lenovo anymore.

MonkeyDLuffy
Punch Card
Message 7 of 21

I actually have the same problem.  I think this is how it really works.  The fan is really super noisy by default.  It sounds like a voltage transformer.  It sucks but oh well, I bought it for only $179 (-minus $20 coupon so its basically $159) which is a good deal for me .. the grinding sound is really annoying, but my older laptop is noisier so I guess I'll get used to it soon.

InfiraSys
Serial Port
Message 8 of 21

This IS NOT how it is suppose to be. I have determined that my S10 (4333-22u) has TWO fans total. One up front next to the WWAN card and another for the CPU/Chipset. The CPU fan is not a problem at all, it is perfectly quiet and runs normal. It's the smaller fan next to the WWAN card that grinds. That fan in particular doesn't turn on all the time, only here and there as temps increase. When it does turn on and start to buzz, if I move the netbook around and turn it different angles, it stops grinding until it's rotated again.

I certainly WILL be sending it BACk to the freegin' depot again if I can't fix this on my own. Since a "friend" has the exact same model that's doing the exact same thing with the exact same 2nd fan, he "allowed" me to take his apart and attempt to fix it. I noticed once I get the front fan out that the inner magnet had a slight protruding defect possibly making the fan slightly off balance so I shaved it smooth, also I added 2 drops of Pennzoil 10w-30 (yes, motor oil is THE BEST lubricant for machine parts unless otherwise specificed IMO. I am in process of putting "his" S10 back togather to see if it works. I don't want to tear apart my unit yet as it is still under warranty. Smiley Wink

Will inform... sigh.

InfiraSys
Serial Port
Message 9 of 21

Whelp, it has indeed worked as expected. I wish I had taken pictures to possibly help you out but I will try and detail what I did via text. Both fans are running right now and the computer is bench testing (to get heat up and both fans spinning) and there is zero grinding/buzzing. I didn't even know any S10 came with two fans until I got in there, maybe those complaining of noisy fans are really hearing the 2nd fan running?!

So what I did was follow the disassembly procedure outlined here: http://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/ion/S10e/index.html (DO NOT attempt this if you don't know a thing about portable computers or you still have a warranty you care about)

After pulling the system board and putting it aside, I have access to the 2nd fan next to the WWAN card (The fan's purpose seems to be ONLY to cool the WWAN card. (PCIE card) (Now might be a good time to switch the CPU fan assemby's thermal pads for higher-quality compund if you wish)

Four screws hold the 2nd fan in place, after removing and pulling off the fan assembly, you can simply pull down on the fan blades to pull the fan blades & circular magnet away from the conductors (there is no oil nipple on this fan) On my fan, I noticed it's circular magnet had a tiny protruding defect which *may* mave made it off balance. I shaved it clean and smooth, added two drops of Pennzoil 10w-30 to the fan shaft and pressed the fan blades back into place and screwed the fan back in place.

Assembled everything good as new and booted it up. Immediately upon switching on (when all fans run at max RPM for a couple seconds) I already noticed no buzzing. Once in Windows, I ran a few Sandra benches to heat things up and so far (fingers crossed) both fans run quiet. All I can actually hear is wind whirring as all computers do.

I think the oil is what really did the trick. I am a PC tech by trade and use motor oil (as odd as it sounds) to treat buzzing system fans... mainy Power Supply fans as most customers don't want to pay for a new PSU just because of a fan. I've tried various oils and greases over the years but nearly all of them burn off after a couple months causing the fan to buzz soon after. Motor oil is THE ONLY lubricant I have found to stand up to the test of time. I have treated my own system fans with it and customer's and have seen buzzing fans operate for years after just adding a drop or two of motor oil. The WORST oil to use is 3-in-1 oil(IMO), after a few months in a fan it gets tacky and globs up producing the opposit effect.

Good luck, and remember, your computer is NOT "suppose" to sound that way. If it's buzzing it's either rubbing, low on oil or a bearing is going bad and the first two are certainly fixable without buying a new fan.

Hope it helps...

MonkeyDLuffy
Punch Card
Message 10 of 21

Great Info. Yup, I'm talking about the 2nd fan (right below the trackpad) NOT the atom/chipset fan. At first, I was also wondering why I had 2 fans. It really is annoying when it is spinning. Since you returned yours and they did not fix it, I'm just going to wait until my warranty expires and do the modding myself. I hope you made pictures but that is fine .. ill figure it out myself Smiley Very Happy

I guess this is how they POORLY designed the 2nd fan since you returned yours and nothing happened - they should have fixed it in the first place.The reason I said that it was how it supposed to work is because I believe everyone has the same problem (4333 models) and they are not doing anything about it even after being returned from the Depot. So that makes my statement filled with sarcasm Smiley Very Happy

BTW, would it be safe to just remove the 2nd fan (since it only cools the 2nd minipcie slot)? I don't think that my Broadcom HD Crystal (placed in the 3g+WWAN 2nd minipcie slot) will heat up that much. Since I'm not using a WWAN/gps card, removing it might be better, I guess. What do you think?

Thanks for sharing a detailed fix. I hope it will be a permanent fix Smiley Very Happy