cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanL
Paper Tape
Views: 16,558
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo Ideapad U410 - no screen output or black screen, and just out of warranty

My kid has been using this laptop and loved it, but mentioned a while ago it was difficult to power it back on after turnned it off. However she managed to work around by putting it in hibernate/sleeping mode only, or recycling the system many times (by holding on power button to force it off). The issue was black screen (no Lenovo logo) but computer was on. I didn't pay much attention because she can still make it work, and I was too busy. Last week, there was a windows update (again) and the computer was forced recycle. It never comes back alive again. The same, computer is humming, but no any visual output on screen, just black. Tried novo button, bootable USB, external monitor, all no use. Check the warranty, just over by 2 months!

Asked the service store, to fix will cost at least $200-$300 to replace the motherboard! It does not make sense when spent a bit more could buy a new notebook. But my kid liked it and it does not make sense to throw it away either, when it still looks pretty new and only being used very lightly (schoolwork only). It is sad, especially the brand has been gainning my trust. I probably don't expect a "good" solution either from Lenovo or community, but just throw my frustration here (only because have just registered the account and there is no support email or web form). If Lenovo want to make customer happy, the part shouldn't be so expensive for a short-lived laptop!

Just by the way, there are many posts about Ideapad's black screen issue, and many blameed window 8.1 for the compatibility problem. It made me thought so too because the initial sympton was exactly the same. The best thing you should do: don't waste time on fixing the driver or config, get the hardware replaced as soon as you could when  still in warranty. If not so lucky, probably think it twice next time when you want to buy a Lenovo.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 16,535
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo Ideapad U410 - no screen output or black screen, and just out of warranty

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Sorry to hear of all the problems.  Here are a couple of things to try........

First, try a reset of the BIOS.  The procedure can be useful in resolving some hardware conflicts which your computer may have.  Just do this......

1. Unplug the charger / adapter.
2. Press and hold the Power Button for 15 seconds.
3. Plug in the charger / adapter if needed and power up the system to see if the problem was resolved.

If you are comfortable working inside your laptop. try this........

Try the reset again with the battery removed.

If the reset didn't resolve the problem then you may have a failed piece of hardware preventing the bootup. Remove the battery, hard drive, optical drive, memory, wireless card and bluetooth if it is installed. Now try to power up the stripped laptop. With all the hardware removed you should have lights come on and it may possibly beep since there is no memory installed. If the laptop is showing signs of life start adding hardware one piece at a time starting with a memory module and boot up the laptop. If it doesn't power up try the memory in the other slot. Also try the other memory module separately in both slots if two are available. If it is still showing signs of life add another piece and boot. Do this for each item until it doesn't power up again. The last piece of hardware installed is your problem part.

The link below is for your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual. The manual will explain how to remove the various hardware items. When working inside your system please follow all precautions and recommendations that are noted in the manual.

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_u310_u410_hmm_1st_edition_mar_2012_english.p...

There is also a Lenovo Training video that will show you how to remove the various items.  These are listed in the FRU section.

http://service.lenovo.partner-management.com/content/CourseWarePublic/12769/player.html

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

DanL
Paper Tape
Views: 16,518
Message 3 of 8

Re: Lenovo Ideapad U410 - no screen output or black screen, and just out of warranty

Thanks Majestic. Have never disassembled a laptop, but why not, will give it a try. It is a great input Smiley Happy

DanL
Paper Tape
Views: 16,081
Message 4 of 8

OK, here is the update. Just got chance to disassemble the laptop, took out the battery, remove the memory, remove the wifi card, hard disk, usb card, mic. Now it is the motherboard (w/ CPU) with monitor, keyboard, speaker, and the little cooling fan. That's it. Click the power button to turn it on: black screen, NO BEEP. The power button is lighted up, the little light on Cap. Lock flashed once right after, the little light on the front is on indicating the powered is on. The cooling fan is on after about 1 min and keep running. Other than that, no sign of life at all, Nothing.

The most significant thing is NO BEEP. Without memory, I would expect the beep but it didn't happen. I checked the DC input, the voltage is right. So it appears to me either the power does not reach the BIOS loading circuit, or the BIOS is failed to be loaded so the computer does not know what to do next.

Is there any other suggestion/input on possible cause?

Could it be possible of "power button board" failure? or is there any other middle piece between the power & montherboard? and how to check? If the system board is failed, the replacement cost of ~$300 would prove to be too high. Any suggestion?

The instruction document is a great help. Thanks Majestic for the sharing.       

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 16,067
Message 5 of 8

A couple of things I thought of....

Have you ever tried connecting the laptop to an external display?  From reviewing all that you had done got me to wondering if the LCD display didn't take this opportune time to just quit working. 

In regards to the power button board,  with the ribbon cable design there is really no way to test it that I am aware of.  To truly test it you would need to know the pinouts of the connector.  But it is quite possible that when pressed the power button isn't fully making contact so all the circuitry isn't being energized at power up.  I have a Toshiba laptop that is like that.  If you don't fully press the power button or if you press it on the button's edge when booted up there will be no audio.  If you press it fully square on, audio works without problems.  In my situation the button is soldered directly to the motherboard so I just live with it.   On your system the board is replaceable.  You might consider a gamble and spend $20 or so and purchase a replacement off eBay or Amazon.  If it works great, if it doesn't you aren't out a lot of money.  I've included the Lenovo part information on the power board below.  You can use that to search for the part or just search on "Lenovo U410 power board."

LZ8 Power Board WO/Cable (U410/U410 Touch)   Lenovo Part Number:  90000212

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

DanL
Paper Tape
Views: 16,059
Message 6 of 8

Have tried external monitor via HDMI, no signal. Will probably try to replace the power board, will post the result. But still wondering how come there is no beep when memory was taken out. How many components between or steps going through from power on till the expected beep from BIOS?  Or maybe beep is not available on this laptop? Or again maybe no power for BIOS loading or even "beep"? Just a thought ...

Dan

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 15,981
Message 7 of 8

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

While most laptops will beep when the memory is removed there are some that will not.   I'm not sure about your model.

Cristiann
What's DOS?
Views: 4,782
Message 8 of 8

Hi there. I have 2 lenovo ideapad 100S. I got this problem that the screen went black on both of them in the relatively same time period. After reading your articles I've tried a few tricks and could enter bios and reinstall the operating system. 
However, after making operating system updates (I use Ubuntu), on the first computer, after restart I got the same problem again: black screen. The reason I am writing this is that I saw DanL daughters computer had the same issue after she had a windows update. So, for the future readers of this post, don't hurry to buy a new motherboard, until you surely know that is absolutely the case. 
Have a good day everybody!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors