Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kunmi
Paper Tape
Views: 717
Message 1 of 13

Lenovo S510P frequent BSODs

About a month or two after getting this laptop, I have been getting frequent BSODs, I can't go a whole day without having about 2 BSODs. Most of the time, the bluescreen leaves too early before I can see the message but last night the message was "Data Inpage Error".

To note, before the BSODs flag up, it drags and slows down almost to freeze point for sometime and then BSOD comes up. After the BSOD shows up for sometime, If I wait for it to restart itself, it just runs to an infinite black screen, I have to force off by holding poweer button and then turning back on to get it up again.

I love this laptop, urgent help will be appreciated.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 709
Message 2 of 13

Re: Lenovo S510P frequent BSODs

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Is the BSOD giving you an error code or message that may help identify the problem ?  

Another option would be to just do a One Key Recovery and restore the computer back to its original out of the box condition.  The downside is the recovery process will erase the operating system so you will have to backup any important files and re-install any software that was added since it was new.  Page #20 of your model's User Guide will explain the One Key Recovery.  Here is that guide for your reference.......

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_s410ps410ptouchs510ps510ptouch_ug_english.pd...

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

kunmi
Paper Tape
Views: 703
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah, last night I got a Kernel Data Inpage error, and while "WhoCrashed" analysed the last dump from Saturday, Feb 14 as "System Exception Error".

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 695
Message 4 of 13

The problem could be hard drive or memory related.  Try running Check Disk and do a memory test.  The article I have linked below will explain how.......

http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/2013/05/kernel-data-inpage-error/

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

kunmi
Paper Tape
Views: 648
Message 5 of 13

The system passed windows memeory diagnostic and I ran the disk check too, but the error still continued. I did a refresh back to Windows 8, albeit I didn;t use it for long, but for about 3 days of windows 8 no "Kernel Data" BSOD, but right after doing the offline update tot Windows 8.1, 40 minuites later, "Kernel Data inpage error" again Smiley Sad

I am at my wits end here.

kunmi
Paper Tape
Views: 646
Message 6 of 13

I am begining to think the propblem is with the ccahe SSD, would like to know if there's away I can disable it without messing with the factory UEFI partitions.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 632
Message 7 of 13

I'm not aware of any method to disable the cache although I suspect there might be.  Sorry !

Are you using any anti-virus software besides Windows Defender ?   In searching about the "Kernel Data inpage error" I have come across two separate discussions in which an installed anti-virus program was used in addition to the Windows Defender included with Windows 8.1.  When the additional anti-virus program was removed and just Windows Defender remained the error disappeared according to those responding. 

kunmi
Paper Tape
Views: 618
Message 8 of 13

yeah, I uninstalled my antivirus and enabled windows defender, yet the problem persisted. I have done a system refresh and I am now back on windows 8.1 (not update 1) and Avast antivirus. So far, no Kernel Data BSOD. I will update with more details regarding the issue... 

But of note, I never experience freezes or sudden crashes on my UEFI installed LINUX on another partition, and while I had windows server (for sharepoint testing) on another partition, I never experienced the BSOD too, only when I have updated to Windows 8.1 update 1 that The BSODs come to live.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 609
Message 9 of 13

Obviously your problem is related to that update rather than a hardware issue.  It is difficult to say what in the update is causing the problem.  The only thing I can suggest at this point would be to do a clean install of your various drivers after the Update 1 is installed.  If you view the Reliability History in the Action Center does it give any additional indication of problems ?  I did find a review of the Update 1 that lists the changes made. Internet Explorer was updated and that would be a good suspect if the BSOD are occurring when browsing. 

Here is a link to that review for your reference.......

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-update-1-review

kunmi
Paper Tape
Views: 603
Message 10 of 13

Thanks for the assistance; Action Center has been unhelpful soo far, and the kernel BSODs are random, not only when browsing, btw I barely use IE. I'll try using the ordinary windows 8.1 alone for about 3wks, if no BSOD I'll try updating one after another till I can single out th culprit update.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors