Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ccarrieta
What's DOS?
Views: 3,458
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo U110 Change Wireless Card

Hi everybody can anyone help me in how to change my wireless card out of my lenovo U110, I have not been able to find a dissasembly guide out there...

Thanks 

Retired Guru
Views: 3,442
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo U110 Change Wireless Card

If someone asks me if I have a choice to wash an elephant or to change WiFi on U110 - I'll wash elephant twice.

To replace WiFi on U110 you need to remove battery; remove all screws from bottom of laptop (remember to write down all of screws of U110 since they are of different length) and remove little cover; remove memory module; turn the laptop over, open it and carefully pull over black panel with sensor buttons on it - be gentle or you can tear wires under it; remove launch board you can find under that panel; remove keyboard and disattach it; unscrew underkeyoard screws (write them down!); disconnect all wires you can see; pick up the cover you've just unscrewed; disattach HDD and remove it; disattach and unscrew that plate under expresscard slot wih battery (do not disconnect battery from mother board) and bluetooth on it; disconnect all wires you can see and unscrew all you can see exceptthat H -looking metal thingy on the center of motherboard; and FINALLY

We can now turn motherboard over carefully not to tear wires of WiFi and , after disconnecting the and unscrewing WiFi module, replace it.

Time to dink and be brave to assemble this all together in backwards order. Not pleasant evn for me an I have well experience of work of this kind.

If it is your first time - I highly recommend you not to perform this at all because there's a great chance you will not succeed at one stage or another. If you break, tear or burn something - repair cost may exceed cost of whole laptop.

Choice is up to you.

//help will save the world
zan2828
Token Ring
Views: 3,435
Message 3 of 9

wash elephant twice lol.

skripatch  you're a funny guy.

slowmotion
Paper Tape
Views: 2,935
Message 4 of 9

I know I need to wash elephant in order to get this, but if I really want to upgrade the Wifi from 802.11bg to 802.11bgn, what model of WiFi card does fit the U110?

Many thanks.

Retired Guru
Views: 2,914
Message 5 of 9

AFAIK any mini-PCIe card will fit well.

But.

As you certainly know, N-standart WiFi needs third antenna wire to be connected and U110 has only two of them inside. Antennas  are hiding beneath LCD and it will be neccessary to have dust-off room to perform this disassembly and also to have that one antenna from somewhere.

//help will save the world
slowmotion
Paper Tape
Views: 2,902
Message 6 of 9

Thank you very much for the info! I always worry the U110 is so small that it might not fit the standard Mini-PCIe Wifi card.

As there are so many things jamming at 2.4GHz, I am building a pure 5GHz draft-N WiFi at home so it would be nice if the U110 can be N-ready and use 5GHz channel also.

Anyway I don't really need full speed N so as far as I know I can just connect two antennas with reduced bandwidth, afterall U110 is not that fast IMHO.

slowmotion
Paper Tape
Views: 2,812
Message 7 of 9

End up replacing the Mini PCI-e wireless card is a bliss, if you are brave enough you can just open the RAM cover, disconnect the antenna, and PULL the wireless card OUT from the edge of the RAM opening. No need to open the whole case / disassemble the motherboard, etc.

However once a new wireless card is popped in (in my case it is Dell 1505 wireless-N), the BIOS will display the following:

Unsupported wireless network device detected.

System Halted.

So effectively it bans all third-party 11n WiFi card upgrade.

The built-in WiFi is just 11g, and there is no other way to upgrade it to 11n since Lenovo does not sell Ideapad WiFi upgrade kit.

Couple with the fact the VT-x is switched off in BIOS permanently, I have to say I really love this Lenovo so much that I WILL NEVER BUY ANY IDEAPAD AGAIN. This Beijing designed notebook is so inferior when compare to its Thinkpad cousin.

I nearly want to ban Thinkpad too, but then it is still better than most other notebooks so... Smiley Sad

Nice work, Lenovo.

Message Edited by slowmotion on 05-22-2009 12:00 AM
Message Edited by slowmotion on 05-22-2009 01:54 AM
simbiot
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,170
Message 8 of 9

The Dell 1505 is Broadcom based I believe.  I'm curious if an Intel based wireless N miniPCI-e card would fair better.

Since the original u110 card is an Intel 4965 AG perhaps an Intel 4965 AGN may possibly be supported.  I took a look at my current card.  The card has 3 connectors but only two have antennas connected to them.

It would be nice to have a hardware compatibility list.  Putting an Intel 5100 or 5300 card in there would be even nicer to try.

slowmotion
Paper Tape
Views: 2,141
Message 9 of 9

Thank you for your suggestion. I agree that moving from the 4965AG to AGN probably should be able to "fool" the BIOS and make it work. However after these few months I have learnt to live with it and don't bother it too much anyway.

And I get a Windows 7 32-bit running on U110, not bad at all and it is way better than the Vista that came with the machine.  Will try to use it for another winter before moving to MacBook Air next year.

Anyway thank you again for reading this ancient thread and still willing to give comment. Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors