cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrewcap
Paper Tape
Views: 7,963
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo U310 LCD Screen Backlight Won't Turn On.

I purchased a new U310 near the end of August this year, using it primarily to bring with me to school.  However, I've been having a problem with the LCD screen backlight.  Typically, when the computer starts up, the backlight will be working fine.  However, once the computer goes into powersave mode and shuts the display off, often the backlight to the display will not turn on again regardless of if I press keys or the touchpad.  These are some things I've noticed:

• The display IS still on.  I can still very faintly make out the desktop and use the system, but the backlight is off completely
  • This issue does not happen all of the time, but is still quite frequent
  • Sometimes putting the computer to sleep and then waking it solves the problem, but not all of the time
  • Sometimes the backlight remains off even after a forced power off (holding down the power button), but typically a restart solves the problem and enables the backlight again
  • Adjusting screen brightness has no effect
  • This happens regardless of the battery level and whether or not the system is plugged in
  • Although this issue has seemed more prevalent recently, it even happened on the day I bought the laptop, but I just wasn't yet aware it was a reoccurring issue
  • I've been able to recreate this issue, in fact I was just able to make it happen twice in a row.  First time the display went off and didn't turn back on, I restarted.  This even repeated the next time the display went into powersave mode, so I restarted again.  The third time the display went into powersave mode, I was able to turn it on again simply by touching the touchpad (as it should be).

I think that about sums up what I know.  I apologize for making such a long post, but I'm thinking I can't be the only one with this issue.  I'm new to the community and couldn't find a similar post anywhere on the forums.  Since I infrequently use this system, and the issue has been there since I got it, I'm assuming it must be a driver problem.  If anyone has any insight or is experiencing similar problems, I'd be glad to hear!  I thought I'd post before contacting Lenovo directly.  Thanks!

andrewcap
Paper Tape
Views: 7,951
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo U310 LCD Screen Backlight Won't Turn On.

Just went to use the system and it did it again, pointing out something I forgot to mention. After the display shuts off for powersave mode, and I go to turn it back on again (by pressing a key or the touchpad) the backlight typically turns on for about one second (I can see my desktop with the correct brightness) then shuts off completely (very barely visible desktop).
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,937
Message 3 of 8

I suggest you please uninstall the energy management software, reebot and install it again. You will find the setup of energy management in drivers folder in the drive named lenovo ( maybe E or D). Please give it a shot and post results.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
andrewcap
Paper Tape
Views: 7,929
Message 4 of 8

I feel stupid for not doing this before posting. I reinstalled the drivers and set display shut off to 1 minute for testing. It seems that it may have fixed the problem, but since it doesn't happen all the time, I will confirm this after some more testing. Thanks Ishaan!
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,927
Message 5 of 8

Your welcome
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
andrewcap
Paper Tape
Views: 7,897
Message 6 of 8

Alright so I tried reinstalling the energy management drivers, which initially seemed to work, however I'm having the same problem again.  This time, when I booted up my computer from being powered off, once I got to the desktop, I pressed the brightness up key.  The onscreen display brightness visual showed the brightness increase to max as I held down the key, then fall back down to half as I continued to hold the brightness+ key.  Next, the display backlight shut off entirely.  I tried waking the computer 3 times, which did not help, and even shutting the system off and turning it back on is not helping.  As of right now, the lcd backlight is completely off, even after a restart.  The backlight however does work, as I can see the "Lenovo" logo when I start it back up.  Right after about one second of the "Lenovo" logo, the backlight turns back off again and remains off.  Strangely, I tried shutting off and turning the system on again a few times while plugged in, and the backlight would not turn on anytime.  However, when I did this with the system unplugged, the backlight turned on.

Conclusion:  Reinstalling the drivers did not fix the issue, so I'm still open to insight from anyone.  This issue appears to be happening more and more frequently.  Thank you in advance for any suggestions, I'll probably have to call Lenovo soon.

andrewcap
Paper Tape
Views: 7,888
Message 7 of 8

Just noticed a few more things that I thought would be good to post:
-The issue still happens when the display shuts off for powersave mode even after the driver reinstall
-While the system is plugged in, sleeping/restarting the system appears to not fix the issue, the backlight remains off
-If the issue occurs when the computer is plugged in to charge, putting the system to sleep and unplugging the system, then waking it up, seems to re-enable the backlight
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,874
Message 8 of 8

I think you are right. Maybe a defective lcd.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors