Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bayernfan
Punch Card
Views: 6,033
Message 21 of 128

Re: Lenovo U410 shuts down randomly

i would like to help, but my laptop is out of warranty already because i opened and added a new components (ram and ssd). also i cannot reproduce the error anymore, so i don't think it will help.
it's working okay since a few months now.
mikelinden
Paper Tape
Views: 6,010
Message 22 of 128

I bought my U410 in USA, but I live in Brazil. It would not be easy to ship it to the usa and receive it back.

What I noticed is that it only happens when it is plugged off. And it is weird because it can work all day long plugged off without any problem, or it can shuts off twice in one hour.

Former Employee
Views: 5,983
Message 23 of 128

Hi mikelinden,
thanks for posting. Would it possible for you to uninstall the Lenovo energy management software first and then reboot. once the system i sback up after reboot instal the lenovo energy management, from the below link.

Win8 :
http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/em8.0.2.3.exe

Win7:
http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/cagt32ww.exe

hope this helps.

regards
edris
Paper Tape
Views: 5,973
Message 24 of 128

hi

i have same problem in my lenovo z500!!

and i found strenge problem when monitoring gpu temp with gpu shark...

when my nvdia gt635m gpu is in idle the clock speed of gpu goes to 661 Mhz and temp of gpu goes high until get shutdown. but when i having gpu activity gpu clock speed come down to 135 Mhz and everything working just greate...

i dont no what to do.. i tried every driver from lenovo site... but no lock.

any idea??

Former Employee
Views: 5,957
Message 25 of 128

Hi edris,

thanks for posting. based from what you're posting This may seem like the cause of your shut down is coming from the GPU. What I would suggest is on your part is to update the Lenovo energy management as I explained above in my post and also update your GPU drivers from the Link below.

Video
DriverOperating SystemReleased
Intel Graphics Driver for Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad U310, U310 Touch, U410, U410 Touch ... Learn more

Version
: 8.15.10.2626

Intel Graphics Driver for 32-bit Windows
 Intel Graphics Driver for 64-bit Windows

Windows 7 32bit 24 Apr 2012
Intel VGA Driver for Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad U310, U310 Touch, U410, U410 Touch ... Learn more

Version
: 9.17.10.2817

Intel VGA Driver for 64-bit Windows
 Intel VGA Driver for 32-bit Windows

Windows 8 32-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
24 Oct 2012
NVIDIA Graphics Driver for Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad U310, U310 Touch, U410, U410 Touch ... Learn more

Version
: 9.18.13.1090

Nvidia Optimus VGA Driver for 64-bit Windows
 Nvidia Optimus VGA Driver for 32-bit Windows

Windows 8 32-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Windows 7 32bit
Windows 7 64-bit
21 May 2013

Hope this helps.

Regards

mzungu
What's DOS?
Views: 5,890
Message 26 of 128

Hi Jo,

I too bought a Lenovo U410 in UK last month and it does this infuriating sudden shut down for no apparent reason.  The touchpad also crashes after using an Office 2010 programme.  Anyway, I took the advice of the Lenovo techs in this forum and uninstalled the Energy Management software and replaced it with en8.02.3.exe but just now I've had two shutdowns, so that hasn't worked.  I've now removed that and have no enery management at all.  I also installed the touchpad beta driver 16.2.21.c as recommended, so let's see if that improves the touchpad.

Since 1997 I've owned Fujitsu, Compac and Samsung laptops, while at work I've used Dell, Sony, Toshiba and Cannon laptops but this Lenovo is by far the biggest trouble maker I've yet owned (not even a month yet!!).  A huge disappointment and I'm definitely not out of the water yet if I can't fix this sudden shutdown problem.  Just wished I'd taken my brother's (and many friends') advice and saved up for a Mac!!

Simon

mzungu
What's DOS?
Views: 5,869
Message 27 of 128

An update!!  First the "less painful" problem - the beta touchpad driver 16.2.21.c doesn't stop the AppCrash of Synaptics Touchpad Enhancements.  The bigger problem - neither uninstalling energy management nor installing en8.0.2.3.exe driver has stopped the sudden shutdowns.  The only vague connection I can find to the shutdowns is that they seem to happen either during or just after Windows 8 automatic maintenane.  But it's a very tentative connection.

Conclusion:  As Lenovo suggest in this forum, there was a bad batch of U410s and unfortunately, I've got one of them!  Even worse, I'm now over 4000 miles from where I bought it and so can't take it back.  Basically, I'm now lumbered with a complete turkey and desperately regretting not buying a brand I've had before and who I trust.  So thank you Lenovo!!  I think the only option I have now is to donate it to charity and get a tax write off or leave it in the back of the car and hope someone steals it.  Then they can suffer the frustrations of all the shutdowns and other problems and try to deal with it.

Bayernfan
Punch Card
Views: 5,847
Message 28 of 128

Completely agree with you. i was even more stupid to buy a 150euro ssd, more memory (+4GB) and windows 8 for the laptop. Yesterday i put the 8.1 preview hoping for a better performance. a shutdown was exactly in the middle of the install.

what OS do you have on it? the stock win7? My shutdowns got more rare, i acheved that by putting the laptop into sleep instead of shutdown. But still happens once in a while, especially after a windows update or even a restart.
mzungu
What's DOS?
Views: 5,822
Message 29 of 128

Hi Bayern Fan.  It came with Windows 8 already loaded.  That's another nuisance to deal with as I try to get used to that clunky OS.  At the moment I'm trying to see if it only shuts down when I'm on AC power instead of batteries.  Fingers crossed but I don't hold out much hope.  Incidentally, congrats on winning the treble this season.

dotmotion
Paper Tape
Views: 5,812
Message 30 of 128

Hello,

I am having the same issue with my recently purchased Y510p. The laptop isn't shutting down randomly though but when I open Steam games. This is especially infuriating because the Y510p was supposed to be more of a gaming laptop. What happens is that I would open a Steam game, right now I only have Arkham Asylum and Football Manager 13 for 1 or 2 minutes and even if I just keep it at the splash screen, my laptop would just shut down without warning. This is the only time it shuts down and I would have no other programs running. 

I checked Event Viewer and the error I am getting is 

Under General

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
Log Name: System
Source: Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41
Level: Critical
User: System
OpCode:Info

Under Details

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /> 
  <EventID>41</EventID> 
  <Version>3</Version> 
  <Level>1</Level> 
  <Task>63</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-07-05T06:37:29.438272700Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>2170</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>Y510p</Computer> 
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

I do not think it is an overheat issue which is the most common issueI read online. I have stared at the temperature before my laptop shuts down and the temperature is usually at around 55 to 60 which isn't that hot.

Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors