Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ellimist
Punch Card
Views: 6,147
Message 1 of 20

Lenovo U430p screen upgrade

Hello everyone,

I recently replaced the motherboard of my Core i3 Lenovo U430p with the motherboard of a Core-17 4500U U430 and it's working brilliantly. I took this opportunity to upgrade the screen as well to a 1080p one from a 720p. But it seems like it's recognising the screen as a 720p screen and is trying to force it to a 1366x768p resolution, which is why the monitor is blank, but the backlight lights up. I tried changing the resolution from Windows 10, and it shows the total screen scrunched up at the top left corner of the screen.

Pictures (click to enlarge)

Now I read here that a higher resolution screen might require a different LVDS cable with more wires, but I do not know which one. I say this because the service manual lists only one LVDS cable with FRU 90203119, which means every Lenovo U430(P) laptops in existence should have the same cable.

What's going wrong here? Can someone with more experience with display issues like this comment?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 6,125
Message 2 of 20

Re: Lenovo U430p screen upgrade

hi Ellimist,

May I know the model of the FHD panel that you used (e.g., AUO B140HAN01.1) ?

From your description, I suspect that the culprit is with the eDP cable. 

An panel that uses a eDP (1 lane) signal type can only support up to 1680×1050 with 18 bit color depth, or up to 1366×768 with 24 bit color depth. On the other hand, a panel that uses an eDP (2 lane) signal type supports display resolutions up to 1920×1200.

More info:

DisplayPort Technical Overview

If your original panel is 720p then it's likely using an eDP (1 lane) signal type. Thus, you will need an eDP (2 lane) cable for the FHD panel to work correctly.

Sample panels:

AUO B140HAN01.1 (eDP 2 lane)

AUO B140RTN03.0 (eDP 1 lane)

Sample cable:

IPEX 20455-030E-12

If you purchased the FHD panel at an online store (e.g,, www.laptopscreen.com), you can purchase the cable from them and you can verify if it'll work on your panel.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Ellimist
Punch Card
Views: 6,119
Message 3 of 20

Oh, wow, I thought no one would reply. Thank you so much!

Yes, as you surmised correctly, I guess the likely culprit is the eDP cable. My previous screen was a 720p display and most likely used a eDP (1 lane) signal type cable.

My new display is an AUO B140HAN01.2, which indeed uses a eDP (2 Lanes) signal interface. Instead of going to my eBay seller who sold me a $70 display for $100, can you give me the model number of an eDP 2 lane cable that'll work with the display and is has a relatively small form factor so that it'll suit the small ultrabook? The current eDP cable is really short.

Let me reiterate this again, thank you so much for responding.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 6,103
Message 4 of 20

hi there,

Using this parts lookup page to check the parts on a sample U430 Touch with FHD screen (Model#: 59427963), the part number is as follows:

90203119 - LZ9T LCD Cable CABLES INTERNAL

I looked into that part above and saw a DDLZ9TLC010 label.

- Link to picture

- DDLZ9TLC010 @ ebay

That label is the one that you need but before you buy it, ensure that it's compatible or taken out from a U430 Touch FHD screen (you need to ask the seller about this). Other low power (3.3v) generic eDP 1.2 (2 lane) 30pin cable should also work but I personally haven't tried this yet.

Edit:

added links

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Ellimist
Punch Card
Views: 6,078
Message 5 of 20

Thanks, I have contacted a couple of eBay sellers about FHD/30 pin eDP connectors.

I have one question though, since the screen I have is a non-touchscreen, the part of the cable that connects to the digitizer will be unused. My current cable (from U430p) has 2 ends - one for the motherboard and one for the screen. But all the U430 screen have a 3 ended cable.

Will it be an issue if one end of the cable (the digitiser end) is unused?

Edit: I heard back from some of the suppliers and none of them are sure about the resolution, and one of them is sure it's from a 720p display. Even though there's one FRU 90203119, there are two part numbers - DDLZ9TLC010 and DDLZ9TLC020. Perhaps the 20 suffix means 2 lanes and 10 means 1 lane? I suspect this because the cable I have has part numer DD0LZ9LC010, and it's eDP with 1 lane.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 6,048
Message 6 of 20

hi there,

There shouldn't be any issue if one of the cable (the digitizer end) is not used.

As for the eDP cable, actually the U430 Touch can use 4 types (taken from this site):

DDLZ9TLC000, DDLZ9TLC010, DDLZ9TLC020, DDLZ9TLC030, FRU P/N 90203119 - Quanta LZ9T

I based the DDLZ9TLC010 part on this sample U430 Touch with FHD screen (Model#: 59427963)

I tried to check any information about the Quanta LZ9T eDP cables (to check if the label part# has lane specification like you mentioned) but I'm unable to find any. I'm afraid you will need to bite the bullet and try out one of those eDP cables above.

Regards

Ellimist
Punch Card
Views: 6,045
Message 7 of 20

Yeah, I ordered a $10 DDLZ9TLC020 cable from eBay. Let's see how it works. Most of the sellers haven't gotten back to me and those who did had no idea if the originial laptop had a FHD screen.

Thank you for continuing to help me on this thread.

Ellimist
Punch Card
Views: 6,021
Message 8 of 20

Hello again,

I tried 2 eDP cables - one DDLZ9TLC010, another DDLZ9TLC020 - both of them turned out to be one lane. Since buying more cables will be like a game of winning lotteries, can you tell me which Lenovo laptop has a 2 lane eDP cable, which will fit in the U430p?

For example, all variants of Lenovo Y40/Y50 has a FHD 1080p+ screen. So, if I buy a cable intended for those laptops, I'll be getting a 2 lane eDP cable for sure. But the question is, will that cable be compatible with a U430 motherboard? Does it use the same eDP interface on the motherboard?

It's really unfair that there are no seperate part numbers for the 2 and 1 lane cables.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 5,999
Message 9 of 20

hi there,

The Y50-70 does uses a FHD or a QHD (the former being the most common).

From one of these Y50-70 models (e.g., 59416738), check out the parts below taken from this parts lookup page:

Model #: 59416738

FRU#: 18201583     - AUO B156HTN03.6 FHD AG S LED1 NB LCD

FRU#: 5C10F78848 - EDP Cable C Y50-70 FHD

- Link to picture

Although the Y50-70 (FHD) uses the same eDP 1.2 (3.3v) interface on its panel, I can't say if the eDP cable will work on the U430 mobo as I haven't tested this yet (technically it should fit as both uses a 30pin connector but the BIOS can restrict FRU that's not on the supported list so there's that, thus, the different FRU#).

In addition, you may also wanna look at the LCD & eDP parts on this unit:

Lenovo U430 Touch laptop

Regards

Ellimist
Punch Card
Views: 5,985
Message 10 of 20

I just received a Lenovo Yoga 2 13" 's eDP cable. It does not work. The display backlight does not even light up like it did for the U430 cable.

The Yoga 2 13" has only one kind of screen - a FHD screen. The cable even says FHD on it's label. But it does not work. It this the BIOS blacklist at work? I know Lenovo blacklisted parts with EM emissions, like WiFi cards. I did remotely think they'd blacklist LCD cables.

I'm at a loss what to do. I'm thinking about trying a Thinkpad T440S eDP cable since people have reported that even the ones which do not come with a FHD display, has a cable that works with FHD displays.

Any suggestions? Honestly, I'm fed up. I'm stuck with a $70 screen for a month (which I bought for $100, FML) which at this point probably even cannot be returned. And I have spent $40 on different LCD cables none of which work properly.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors