cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aphects
Punch Card
Views: 7,285
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo u410 Wifi turned off (Im asked to turn on Hardware switch )

The wifi on my lenovo u410 i7 1TB hdd + 24GB ssd, got turned off. First time it happened was yesterday but I troubleshooted it via thenetwork diagnostics tool and it fixed the problem and it worked fine. Then today I restarted my computer (No changes were made, all i did was type a document in notepad), and when it restarted the wifi said "WiFi  (off)" again. I tried the same thing that fixed it last time, but It didnt fix it, instead now it says that the WIFI is off and that it should be turned on via Fn keys or hardware switch. (which obviously the u410 lacks). 

I did massive research only to find out other users had this problem, and some solutions were to uninstall and install the newest energy managment but it did not work. I always tried many other solutions but none have work. 

NOTE: THE WIFI BUTTON in the settings is grayed out I CAN NOT turn it on from there.

I hope someone can shine and offer some help. My usb adapter works fine but i do not want to use it. I want to have my internal card working again.

PS: i ran the intel proset wireless tools included with the u410 and it clearly says "Hardware radio is off" after running the test.

aphects
Punch Card
Views: 7,282
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo u410 Wifi turned off (Im asked to turn on Hardware switch )

The intel proset wirless tools, actually says that the "Wireless Hardware is enabled" but when it gets to the radio test it says "Hardware radio is off"
aphects
Punch Card
Views: 7,242
Message 3 of 11

anyone? I see no visible hardware switch on the computer itself and this is very frustrating.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,235
Message 4 of 11

See if this will help you:

Check in Device manager if you have the wireless card installed. If yes, try going to "settings" then "change pc settings". Under "Wifi", slide the slider to "on" position.

Note: I'm assuming you have Windows 8 installed.

aphects
Punch Card
Views: 7,224
Message 5 of 11

Thank you for the reply but as I stated in the first post I have tried that, the option is grayed out.
tobymole
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,206
Message 6 of 11

Hi Aphects

I would imagine something has gone wrong with the device driver for the wireles card.

I would recomend downloading the newest device driver, uninstalling the old one, restarting the machine at which point windows may automatically tll you it has detected new hardware and is looking for a driver and step you through the proces to get the correct one, or, after restert, install the new driver you downloaded at the start.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,195
Message 7 of 11

Can you do a restore to a date where you remember that it is working?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 7,184
Message 8 of 11

In your first post you wrote:

"My usb adapter works fine but I do not want to use it. I want to have my internal card working again."

Now I don't have a U410, and I'm running Win 7, but I suspect that you "tried" your wireless USB adapter in your U410, correct?

If you did, I imagine that you had to install some type of driver, or software, to use the USB wireless dongle. Maybe, this driver, or program, is interfering with the Intel WiFi setup. When you took out the USB dongle, did you use the "safely remove hardware and eject media" routine? (or what ever that's called in your U410)

My thinking is, if you didn't use that remove routine, maybe your system still thinks that the USB wireless is being used, even though you took out the dongle. Try using the USB again, then do the "safely remove/eject" routine.

If that doesn't solve your problem, the next thing I would try, is to un-install any driver, or software relating to the wireless USB. Obviously your internal WiFi worked before, so it should work again, if you can get rid of the conflict between the 2 wireless paths. I would reboot after removing the wireless USB driver, and/or programs.

I'm just shooting in the dark here. Smiley LOL

Let us know your results.

Cheers,

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

aphects
Punch Card
Views: 7,175
Message 9 of 11

Really appreciate all the help guys, i really do!, sadly none ot those work.

Uninstalling/deleting -> updating drivers does nothing, continues to claim that the hardware switch is off. 

As for my wireless usb adapter interfering, thats not the problem, because, the problem showed up before i've ever plugged in my usb adapter, only reason i have it plugged in now, is because I have to access the internet somehow >.<

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated, it would be more amazing if lenovo staff would comment or help but have been going through these forums and seems lenovo staff/support isn't up to par with anything these days.

Moderator Note; please refrain from bumping threads inside of 3 days. Bumping a thread pushes someone else's subject down the pile who may also be seeking assistance and therefore unfair to them. Bumps inside of 3 days will be removed from public view.

aphects
Punch Card
Views: 7,092
Message 10 of 11

Sorry I did not know the rule of bumping threads inside of 3 days, i apologize. Well anyways,

I still need help! Any insight would be extremely helpful!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors