Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sigurds
Paper Tape
Views: 1,136
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo u410 no sound from internal speaker

Hi, I've been searching google thin and tried numerous fixes and nothing so far has worked. I just bought an used Lenovo ideapad u410 and a week later the internal speakers suddenly stopped working. External/headphones still work flawlessly, but the internal speakers won't make a sound. So far I've tried these things:
Updating drivers manually.
Deleting drivers and let windows update them itself.
Deleting drivers and installing the default windows drivers.
Checking the internal speakers is set as standard, not muted and that the jackstick isn't stuck or jammed.
Restoring the computer to factory settings.
Restart audio services.

I probably tried some other stuff too that I forgot. When I got the computer there was windows 10 installed, so I tried to do a clean install of windows 8.1. This made the sound come back for a few days, then it disappeared again like with windows 10. I then tried upgrading back to windows 10, didn't work. Rolled back to 8.1, didn't work. I'm considering doing a clean install of windows 7 at this point, because I'm desperate.
At the momemt I got 8.1 installed and I have tried installing and deleting the drivers numerous times, with no success.

Anyone got any ideas as to what I can do next besides doing a clean install of windows 7?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,115
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo u410 no sound from internal speaker

If you right click on the speaker icon in the tray and select playback devices, do your internal speakers show up there with a Green check mark, and if not, if you right click in the Playback window and select Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices. do your internal speakers show as disabled?    If so, right click on them and select enable and then set them as the default.     Also try disabling the other playback devices (unplug them too) to see if that helps.

It sounds like yoiu may have already checked that, and it is not the issue, espeically since it sounds like (no pun intented) ,that you have restored the system, but it never hurts to check.

Drivers and software aside, most sound card jacks mechanically mute the internal speakers when an external jack is pugged in, so perhaps the jack itself is broken and is not switching back to the internal speakers when the headphones are unplugged.   . 

Sigurds
Paper Tape
Views: 1,112
Message 3 of 7

I unfortunately have already ruled out both those issues, but I appreciate your help nonetheless! You got other ideas? Is it possible the internal speakers are just broke?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,107
Message 4 of 7

It is possible that wires to the speakers, which pass through the hinge, have become dislodged or is broken.   You can buy a new U410 speaker asssembly for about $20.00, but to replace it is quite a task as it is literally the last thing to remove when disassembling the laptop, as shown in the video below, although you might be able to see if the wire is broken or disloged without fully removing everything (see around 3:12 in the video)

Good Luck,.

Lenovo U410 complete disassembly guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sGwQBiGw-Y

Lenovo IdeaPad U310/U410 U310/U410 Touch Hardware Maintenance Manual

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_u310_u410_hmm_1st_edition_mar_2012_english....

Sigurds
Paper Tape
Views: 1,105
Message 5 of 7

Thanks! i'll look at it tomorrow, its 00:30 here om Denmark. 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,103
Message 6 of 7

Have a good night.

Highlighted
Sigurds
Paper Tape
Views: 1,082
Message 7 of 7

UPDATE:

It looked too overwhelming taking the computer apart, but thanks for the suggestion! So I opted for doing a clean install of windows 7, to no avail, but now a few days later the sound came back as of 3 minutes ago. It just came back randomly, so now I'm pretty certain that is it a loose connection and the sound will probably disappear soon again Smiley Sad 

Thanks anyway folks, I will close/lock this topic I guess.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors