Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaykik
Paper Tape
Views: 12,556
Message 1 of 10

Lenovo u410 won't turn on even when plugged in

My one month old Lenovo u410 won't turn on even with the charger plugged in.

I misplaced my charger and couldn't charge my u410 which went into sleep mode as it reached its 5% battery level. After about 10 hours I found my charger and connected it, but it would not turn on. I know it's not the charger because it charges other laptops. When I press the power button with the charger connected, it flashes amber LED three times but does not power on. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cedg
Paper Tape
Views: 12,521
Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo u410 won't turn on even when plugged in

Looks like I'm having the same issue. Contacted Costco concierge who couldnt do much more than transfer me over to the wrong Lenovo support line, then ended up with some Ideapad support that told me to : remove the battery from the device... I guess they don't know how their devices are put together... His solution was to send it in for repair... My solution: Bring the 4 days old piece of crap back to costco, get a refund and buy another brand.

Former Administrator
Views: 12,512
Message 3 of 10

cedg,

Ok, well that is one way to solve it.   On the other hand, sounds like some kind of power management glitch.

While the system has a built in battery, can you press and hold the power button to ensure it is truly off?  If you then plug in the AC do you get any kind of charge light?  How long have you left it plugged in to charge before trying to power on again?

Thanks

Mark

cedg
Paper Tape
Views: 12,495
Message 4 of 10

Ok. Left it plugged in overnight, no charging lights at all on the front panel. Made sure the outlet is functional too.

I tried holding the power switch down for 10 seconds, power led flashes 3 times, then nothing.

I'm pretty sure the unit was unplugged while it was in "sleep" and got stuck in a loop there... While on the phone with Lenovo's tech support last night, their only option was to mail the unit in for repair, which will take a lot longer then just getting a replacement from the retail place. I'm just scared that the new u410 will have the exact same issue. This thing was brand new, just going through its inital settings...

I'm pretty sure that popping the cover on it, disconnecting the battery and then holding the power switch down would actually "fix" this, but I fear it's a great way to also void the warranty on the device...

cedg
Paper Tape
Views: 12,482
Message 5 of 10

Well, we went for the ultimate solution. Got a replacement from costco, exact same model. I`ll now try to let it go to sleep, and disconnect it from AC, leave it overnight and see if I can mess up another one... They have a shelf full over there, so I might be able to reproduce this on 6-7 devices Smiley Happy

Jaytyner
What's DOS?
Views: 11,548
Message 6 of 10

I had same problem. After charging it...hold down the "airplane" button at the same while you turn the machine back on. It will restart and afterwards you will need to hit the airplane button again to take it out of airplane mode. By the way the airplane button is also the F7 key on the top row of the keyboard.
Arcanes
What's DOS?
Views: 10,648
Message 7 of 10

Did you solve your problem?
onzin
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,482
Message 8 of 10

Mark, i have the same issue. Left the device unplugged for several days. Then it didn't want to start anymore.

yes the right led turns on when i'm plugging in the charger

yes i pressed and hold the power button several times for more than and less than 10 seconds

I had this once before and after a few days when i decided to try again it started, showing me a black screen telling me that the system date was wrong (don't remember exact language) and to choose F1 to continue or F2 (?) to change system date. I chose to update system date, a few times after the laptop was working again i got this black screen again but in the end it didn't show up anymore. 

Please help. There is a lot of important stuff on there and i need to have access to it.

Thank you.

berticusrex
What's DOS?
Views: 4,093
Message 9 of 10

This solved a random crash I had.  What's the purpose of the airplane button?  Should I get my laptop "checked" if it randomly powered off, no battery light and no power on the power button, until I did this F7 trick?  So weird and worried I'll lose my laptop entirely

onzin
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,069
Message 10 of 10

My advise: backup all the important data from your laptop and make sure you keep your back up up to date.

My u410 died not long after these issues. A $120 independent checkup tolded me my motherboard wasn't working anymore and there was no way of fixing my laptop. Note.. a year before my motherboard was already replaced (still within guarantee) by an authorized lenovo dealer. And so was my cover. 

I loved this laptop.. good specs, looks, feel etc etc. But this is the first time a laptop actually died on me. And that within little over 3 years. I seriously doubt i will ever buy another product from the lenovo Ideapad series. A $1000 product (i7, SSD) should last (much) longer than 3 years.

My $350 Asus eeepc still works after 13 years. And so does my $600 HP laptop from 9 years ago. (running windows XP, being used by my 5yo boy to 'play practice' using computers)

Huge dissapointment. At the least.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors