Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sunder947
What's DOS?
Views: 3,309
Message 1 of 17

Lenovo u530 right side hinge broken

I bought a Lenovo Ideapad U530 at BestBuy in Sunnyvale CA, USA about a year ago.  The right side hinge broke about 2 months ago. I see this as a common problem in these forums. WHen I call Lenovo support they are not able to help & claim that hinge is out of stock & they are no longer repairing these.

I need a solution. I feel cheated ; I spent $1000 on a laptop & I cant use it ot get it repaired now.

Sunder

onetimeuser
What's DOS?
Views: 3,229
Message 2 of 17

Re: Lenovo u530 right side hinge broken

If the touchscreen isn't broken and it's only the plastic attached to the hinge you can carefully drill through the top cover and put a thin bolt or screw.

The plastic didn't fit back on so I trimmed it.  It'll void the warranty, but what good is a warranty if no one will honor it?

Link to picture/image

Link to picture/image

Mod comment: Over sized pictures converted to links. Please see About-Posting-Pictures-In-The-Forums

all4pink
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,157
Message 3 of 17

Thank you for posting that!  It is a great idea to put a bolt through there!

loonygal
Paper Tape
Views: 3,077
Message 4 of 17

This seems like a recall or class action lawsuit topic.  This is obviously a pervasive issue, but since I've treated my laptop well and it didn't break until out of warranty I'm totally out of luck.  I spent more money on a lenovo, thinking it was a business class top line computer; shouuld've gone for the dell. 

Lenovo - you'd better rethink your position on this and provide FREE repairs if there are no obviously signs of droppage otherwise you are losing customers for life over a $100 hinge repair.  Give Best Buy authorization to do the repairs on your behalf.  This is quite irritating. 

and really $100 just to give me a quote?  and 3 weeks.  Obviously  you're not doing the repairs here in the states.

Former Administrator
Views: 3,073
Message 5 of 17

loonygal,

I'm not sure why you received the answers that you have.

I would recommend contacting Lenovo service at 877-453-6686.  They have information on this topic and should be able to provide assistance under warranty.  I don't know where the $100 evaluation fee came from.

I also do not understand the 3 week quotation?  The repair center is located in Texas and is in the United States.

If you have contacted service at this number and received this information from them, please send me a private message with the case number and the serial number of your system.    I would like to look into this.

Thanks

Mark

all4pink
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,060
Message 6 of 17

But what about it breaking 6 months out of warranty?  That's when they seem to be breaking for most people, and they are on the more top of the line laptops.  That doesn't seem right.

loonygal
Paper Tape
Views: 3,037
Message 7 of 17

thanks Mark,

it's broken and OUT of warranty; the lady yesterday told me it was $100 to just send it in and would be 2-3 weeks.  which is ridiculous.  this is a pervasive issues with these models, not sure why they changed it around; my previous work laptop was a lenovo and I loved it so I bought one for person use; this was suppposed to be a "business model"  that must be why service is so busy they are repairingn those WITHIN warranty continuously.  and will it break again in 1-1/2 years? 

julyzerg
Token Ring
Views: 3,011
Message 8 of 17

I bet 9 out 10 U530 owner will eventually have hinge problem, either hinge broken and/or cracked screen's corner.

Me after my U530 hinge broke and Lenovo fixed it, now it become my desktop because I know they didn't change anything (I marked everything before I sent the laptop to them), so I guess they just glued it up together and if I keep open/close it as normal use, it will broke again, HAHAHAHA can not even close/open my laptop GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

burtw
Punch Card
Views: 2,857
Message 9 of 17

To: Onetimeuser

I appreciate your ingenuity and will employ your bolt fix should my hinge repair reoccur.  My U530 is two years old and the hinge snapped yesterday upon opening.  I used superglue but have little faith in the repair.  Amazing how cheaply these parts are made given the price I paid!  Kudos, bud!

Lenovo U530 Touch: i7-4500U | 8 GB DDR3L RAM | Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 500 GB @5400 RPM plus 8GB NAND Flash SSD | Intel® Wireless-N7260 B+G+N | Windows 10 64-bit
burtw
Punch Card
Views: 2,852
Message 10 of 17

Hey Mark,

Put me down as yet another dissatisfied owner of the U530 Touch Laptop!  The right hinge snapped yesterday morning upon opening.  My computer is two years old and out of warrantee; but heck man, I've treated this thing with TLC since purchasing and could not believe how this could, for no good reason, just bind and snap with normal usage.

I implemented repairs myself given the obvious cost of the only real fix, which would be to replace the lid covering in its entirety for $200.  I'm not optimistic about a probable reoccurance of this problem, since superglue is simply jury-rigging.  What a shame for an otherwise good computer!

In my case the metal ferrules pulled out of the plastic anchor which attaches to the lid.  This is a serious design flaw and should be viewed as a reason for recall, no matter when the purchase date.  I understand you are not a Lenovo employee and can do little about this, but perhaps you can send along the miriad expressions of anger and disappointment this problem has brought to Lenovo owners.  Lenovo should compensate those who have this problem!  From what I can see in this forum and in many others, these hinges will break for all, some sooner than later! 

Beijing should take some of the high price I paid for this cheaply made laptop and spend it on cleaning up the air in that city!

Regards,

Lenovo U530 Touch: i7-4500U | 8 GB DDR3L RAM | Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 500 GB @5400 RPM plus 8GB NAND Flash SSD | Intel® Wireless-N7260 B+G+N | Windows 10 64-bit

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors