South Florida, USA

27 Signins

238 Page Views

• Views: 238
  • Message 1 of 12

My new RED S 10

2008-10-12, 5:09 AM

I just got my S10 delivered this week.

I am actually quite pleased with it.  I am not into games, and mostly used my previous computer for wordprocessing, netsurfing, and business related functions.  For the past two days, I have been putting my new S10 through the ropes.  Despite that Atom provessor, it seems to be fast enough in most tasks. I donwloaded the OpenOffice suite to the D: drive, and downloaded and installed Firefox to the C; drive.  The screen is small (compared to my R40) but easy to read.  It is bright and crisp.  The keyboard is a little tight and small, but not bad at all. I played with a few other netbooks, and their keyboards felt toy-like.  This keyboard seems more solid than the eee PC, and the Sylvania and HP offerings in this class.  The only strange things are the way the hard drive is partitioned, and the fact that the manual suggests that there should be Bluetooth in this but there isn't any. The other thing is that I cannot figure out how to create a back up boot disk.  Obviously, there is no DVD or CD-ROM drive, so, I guess to create boot disks, I would have to buy an external USB drive.  But, when I connected an 8 gig flash drive, it would not allow me to make a boot image to that drive.  Does anyone know if the Onekey backup utility allows a boot image to be made to a USB drive? It would be convenient if it could since the S10 allows for booting from a thumb drive.

If you know how to do that, please post a reply

Thanks

personal information removed for your own protection

Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Views: 25103
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: My new RED S 10

2008-10-12, 6:48 AM
You can just make a recovery image and copy it to your flash drive. Botting a laptop with NOVO button will allow you to choose a place where to restore from, including flash drive.
//help will save the world
Options

10 Posts

10-14-2008

Houston, TX

13 Signins

132 Page Views

• Views: 132
  • Message 3 of 12

2008-10-14, 14:55 PM

no bluetooth?

*sad face* (just ordered an S10)

not that I use it a lot, but I mean, it'd be nice to have, ya know?!

Well, i /do/ have an external connection device, but the whole point of these shiny-tinies is that they're highly portable.  and more accessories = less portability!

Well, I suppose it's better for battery life.  Speaking of which, do they have spare batteries for these?

Options

17 Posts

10-12-2008

South Florida, USA

27 Signins

238 Page Views

• Message 4 of 12

2008-10-15, 3:21 AM
Oh! It does seem as if the manual suggests that there should have been a Bluetooth device built in. There are some strange grammar mistakes in the manual, alos. I did buy a Logitech v450.  It has a tiny USB dongle that stays plugged in.
Options

10 Posts

10-14-2008

Houston, TX

13 Signins

132 Page Views

• Views: 132
  • Message 5 of 12

2008-10-15, 13:09 PM

I think read somewhere that US models don't have bluetooth.

it might've been on another thread, or a reviews site, i don't remember.

oh well; it seems like you've solved your issue the same way I plan on solving mine!

on another note, did you ever get that partitioning figured out? I was thinking of formatting the HDD to put my operating system on one drive, and 'everything' else on another, encrypted drive.  that way, if my S 10 ever falls into the wrong hands, my personal information wouldn't be compromised...

Options

17 Posts

10-12-2008

South Florida, USA

27 Signins

238 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2008-10-16, 0:01 AM

I do not understand why the hard drive has those two partitions. I have read a few articles on here, but did not really understand the technical issues. In regard to security, I did find that you can put a password on the computer through that menu that you can select pre-boot up.  That would solve your security issue.  When my R40 (circa 2002) started having some problems, I bought a bunch of Sandisk U3 USB drives and transfered all my files to them.  You can passowrd protect those U3 drives and I have not yet transfered my email files (I use firefox and thunderbird) to my S10.  I did set up PortableApps  ( www.portableapps.com ) on my D: drive, and on the C: drive, I installed OpenOffice 3.0.  Between U3 software, OpenOffice and PortableApps, I got all the software I need for use on a netbook.  (One day, I really have to send OpenOffice and the PortableApps people a check.)  Does anyone know how to put Linux on a USB drive?  I do not want to change anything on my hard-drives, but would love to have another OS to experiment with, and since the S10 BIOS allows for booting from a USB drive, it should be possible to run another OS that way. Someone, explain to me how in non-nerd speak. ----------I do like this machine.  It does not feel flimsy like some of the other netbook offerings.

Options

132 Posts

08-03-2008

Montréal, Canada

888 Signins

8002 Page Views

• Views: 8002
  • Message 7 of 12

2008-10-16, 1:14 AM

The BIOS password could be easily reset by removing the battery inside the laptop, so that's not really secure.

For booting Linux from a USB drive, first pick a distro you like. Then do a google search on that distro's usb boot. 

Here's a wiki on how to do it for the popular Ubuntu distro:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

Ubuntu may be too big to load from a USB drive and may not be optimized to run on a USB drive as it's pretty big and might do lots of disk IO that will cause reduce the life of the drive.

Two alternatives (there are more than two, it's just I only have had experience with these two) are Puppy Linux: http://www.puppylinux.org/ and **bleep** Small Linux (DSL) http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/. Both of these are small and have documenting how to install Linux on USB drives.

Here's one of the tutorials for Puppy: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17658

and one for DSL:  http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_to_a_USB_Flash_Drive

DSL also sells flash drives that have the OS pre-installed, although it's prett expensive: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/usb.html

Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2008-10-16, 16:14 PM

Plutos, I'm really glad that you provide excellent solutions - that helps a lot !

Let me just correct you at one point - modern laptops do not have an option to clear BIOS by simple battery reinsert (this however works for modern desktops). 

Laptops have BIOS chip to be changed and it's simplier jsut to buy a new motherboard for some reasons.

This is due to fact that laptop are stolenmuch more often than desktops and for that must be more secure.

Options

132 Posts

08-03-2008

Montréal, Canada

888 Signins

8002 Page Views

• Views: 8002
  • Message 9 of 12

2008-10-16, 21:32 PM
Ah, ok, thanks skripatch. The Y510 is actually my first laptop so I haven't worked with them as much as desktops. I just assumed they would be similar in design. One thing though, wouldn't backdoor BIOS passwords still work? Or did they eliminate that?
Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2008-10-17, 19:36 PM

Seems like they've terminated even these backdoors (if you mean such like AMIPASS and else... good old times...:) ).

THat's OK - when I jsut started my aquaintance with laptops I also didn't know that. I worked with servers and desktops and didn't evenimagine how much difference was between laptops and desktops...

You're welcome.

Thanks again for your help!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms