Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

07-11-2012

Russia

42 Signins

180 Page Views

• Views: 180
  • Message 171 of 818

Re: My new u310 gives really low speeds on wifi

2012-07-25, 14:19 PM

@dawn1202, You should not uninstall anything before getting Ubuntu. But You must disable acceleration of 500 GB HDD via intel iRST (Rapid Storage Technology), otherwise Ubuntu won't see partition table during install. In this case, after disable iRST (Ctrl+i during loading notebook for configure) You can get dual boot system with GRUB bootloader for make choice one of them.

Certainly, after that Windows 7 won't be loading so fast, but it's loading speed still fine, imo.

As for accounting software, unfortunately I can't say something definite without details of Your needs. LibreOffice as MS Office alternative is available if that.

P.S. Perhaps, it won't be easy to return advantages of iRST back. But I think it's not necessary after getting Ubuntu on board :)

Options

16 Posts

07-12-2012

United States

130 Signins

877 Page Views

• Views: 877
  • Message 172 of 818

2012-07-25, 15:51 PM

@ psylone

Thanks for the information! So I believe what you are saying from your previous posts is that now that you have Ubuntu instead of Windows, you are getting very stable wifi connection anywhere, even different rooms in your home? Like the u310's wifi should work now just like any other pc/mac? (which was most of the complaints because for me, I have inconsistences with connection wherever I'm at...)

However (I'm no techie and don't understand even the basic info.), do you mind going over the steps (I apologize!) because I am not familiar with disabling what you've stated in your post. I am also wondering if what you did was choose 'Install Ubuntu Alongside Them'? Because I think what I want to do is have win7 (64bit) & ubuntu on the same pc. Please look at this link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/136058/which-option-should-i-choose-while-installing-ubuntu-12-04-along-with-windows-7

And finally, if I do all this with the option of installing ubuntu with win7 still there (the FIRST OPTION under "allocate drive space"), do you think all of my files and (itunes) music will still be there on the pc (I am not sure if that's what the first option meant even though it states it on there)? I also have 'favorite sites' saved on google chrome, but I think I can write a couple of the important ones in case chrome doesnt save those. Since I'm new at all of this which option should I start with when I decide to run ubuntu? And of course, when I start up the computer under the first option, if I choose to, will it no longer say: "Starting windows"?

Thanks

*p.s. I don't have the ultrabook ver. with an SSD. Is that going to be a problem? I apologize for all the questions!

Options

10 Posts

07-19-2012

Germany

105 Signins

450 Page Views

• Views: 450
  • Message 173 of 818

2012-07-25, 16:16 PM

@dawn1202:

I don't think he meant the wifi when stating that Ubuntu runs better on the U310. I tested Arch Linux on the U310 and trust me, it is the same issue with wifi...

I don't mean to sound rude but your questions are heavily off-topic, considering this thread being about OS-independent wifi issues with the U310. You should refer to the Ubuntu forums with your questions, they have nice folks there that can help you out. Otherwise you could also open up another thread within the Lenovo forums about it but I don't think the guys here can help you out with Linux as much as the Ubuntu ones do.

Options

7 Posts

07-11-2012

Russia

42 Signins

180 Page Views

• Views: 180
  • Message 174 of 818

2012-07-26, 7:33 AM
@M4he, actually I tested also OpenSUSE 12.1 and wi-fi didn't work in it. So, in Ubuntu all is fine, probably, cause it uses proprietary drivers from Broadcom. But You absolutely right, it's off topic discussion and I'm sorry.

@dawn1202, please mail me, and I'll try answer Your questions.
Options

10 Posts

07-19-2012

Germany

105 Signins

450 Page Views

• Views: 450
  • Message 175 of 818

2012-07-26, 8:26 AM

@psylone: So, you do have good wifi range and connection speed using Ubuntu on the U310?

If so, could you please do me a favor: Using Ubuntu on your U310 type "lsmod > ~/modlist" into your terminal (without the quotes). This will create a file called "modlist" within your home directory. Please PM me the contents of this file. You can delete it afterwards.

Thanks in advance!

Explanation for those who wonder: lsmod lists all the currently loaded kernel modules (drivers) on a Linux system. The > operator redirects the output of the lsmod command to the following file: "~/modlist" - where ~ is your home directory and "modlist" the filename. Therefore the command is totally harmless.

Options

6 Posts

07-17-2012

Germany

88 Signins

339 Page Views

• Views: 339
  • Message 176 of 818

2012-07-26, 9:11 AM

Dear Mark_Lenovo,

are you able to give us an information whether you found a software or a hardware problem? This would help me very much to see how much time the actual repair will cost. If it is a hardware issue it would probably take some time for repair...

Thx

Options

44 Posts

07-15-2012

Netherlands

237 Signins

890 Page Views

• Views: 890
  • Message 177 of 818

2012-07-26, 11:11 AM

Ok, so i bought a Netgear N300 Wireless USB adapter, and i still have the same crappy download speed. Conntection is absolutely better, but something in the U410 prevents the wireless from going any faster. So 35 euros more spent, same crap.

Just wanted to let people know as there had been suggestions to buy USB wifi adapters to solve the problem.

edit: just want to clarify that the wifi connection is steady at 60mbit to my router, full signal bars. So the adapter is working fine, the actual download speed is just crap. usually around 0.5 mbit. And no, its not my connection, my smartphone happily downloads at 25mbit/sec and so does my gf's Acer laptop (yes acer beating lenovo.)

Options

44 Posts

07-15-2012

Netherlands

237 Signins

890 Page Views

• Message 178 of 818

2012-07-26, 11:24 AM

crap.png

about 10m from router, 1 door&floor inbetween. Again, all other devices work fine from this spot.

Options

11 Posts

07-19-2012

Florida, USA

82 Signins

177 Page Views

• Views: 177
  • Message 179 of 818

2012-07-26, 13:26 PM

@lamecake:

I have a feeling what's happening is that you are still working off the internal WiFi NIC. Just plugging in the USB NIC won't necessarily work. Try this:

Open up Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center and on the left side, click "Change adapter settings".

This opens up a window that lists all of your various network connections. One of them will say something like:

Internal Wireless NIC

2WIRE066 (or something like that)

Intel(R) Centrino Wireless...

Right click on that and choose "Disable". This disables the internal wireless NIC. You should see another one that says someting like:

Wireless Network Connection n (some number)

Not Connected

<something like the name of your new USB NIC>

The last line should NOT say something like "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport...", that's something else. It should have a description that sounds like your new USB NIC. If the second line says "Not Connected", double-click it to enable.

What you will have done, I hope, is to disable the faulty internal WiFi and enable the USB NIC. Try your speedtest again and see if it has improved. I'd be surprised if it hasn't.

Just to be clear, I personally wasn't recommending that anyone go out and buy a USB Wireless NIC. I had one I took from another computer and posted my result here as information to assist a diagnosis, not as a solution. I figured that if the developers knew that my experiment did/did not work, it might get them closer to a solution but it wasn't intended as a solution in and of itself. I hope that's clear.

Options

44 Posts

07-15-2012

Netherlands

237 Signins

890 Page Views

• Message 180 of 818

2012-07-26, 13:47 PM

@tas02, appreciate the reply.

I already disabled the internal wifi card (Broadcom in my case). The Intel Wifi Link was still on, but it looks like some sort of support driver. Anyway, after disabling everything in the Wireless department (including bluetooth), i still get verry bad results.

Sometimes i hit 5mbit download speed on speedtests, but still, the link to the router is fine, full bars, and 60mbit. Must be something interfering with the general wifi performance.

Again, the smartphone, and the acer laptop easily hit 20+mbit download speed on the same spot (livingroom couch).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms