Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

08-01-2012

Texas

31 Signins

103 Page Views

• Views: 103
  • Message 211 of 818

Re: My new u310 gives really low speeds on wifi

2012-08-01, 5:56 AM

I bought a Lenovo U310 about a week ago, and honestly, it's my perfect laptop... except for the wireless problems!

It'd work perfectly when I was in the same room as the router, super fast and everything, but once I was a distance away from the router, it would drop every 30ish minutes and become really really slow.

After reading 21 pages of other people with similar problems, it's obvious it's the computer's problem.  However, I just tried the suggestion to uninstall McAfee and now I have connection all around the house!  Granted, it's still not as fast as when I'm right next to the router, but... idk, maybe I can settle.  Especially since I"m starting college soon and I'll probably be using ethernet connection there anyways.

My 14-days ends soon, and I'm not sure what I should do.

Should I just stick with this laptop since wireless is working now?  Or return it and start searching for a new one (although I have looked at tons of other laptops & I haven't found one to my liking yet)?  I guess I'm just worried that the problem will come up again, especially since Lenovo hasn't come out with an official solution yet.

Also, another question, if Lenovo does give a solution to this, and I kept this laptop, would I be able to get it fixed/updated without bringing it to a Lenovo store?  Or if I don't return it now, and the solution doesn't come until months later, there's nothing I can do about it?

Sorry I don't know much about computers... any help/advice would be appreciated! :catsad:

Options

3 Posts

08-01-2012

India

13 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 212 of 818

2012-08-01, 10:08 AM

Hi All!

Bought the U310 yesterday and noticed the slow wifi problem instantly. 

I did a couple of things you guys mentioned, uninstalled McAfee, updated drivers n stuff but nothing's worked yet. I've also noticed how the left side of the laptop, if in the direction of the wifi router, catches better signals. Overall though, the speed is abominable. I use this laptop and my old one side by side and that gives double the speed.

I have to agree with someone who says it is an antenna issue. I cannot buy the fact that it's to do with the wireless card as most machines are using different ones. Mine is a Broadcom 802.11n.

I think the dealers should be made aware of this problem, so that they don't sell additional units to people like me. I don't see Lenovo doing much to reduce the damage. They're still heavily advertising in my country. I've emailed the dealer today asking for my money back. It works perfectly fine for someone who only wants to use a broadband, however for someone like me who primarily uses Wi-fi, it is useles

I am also surprised as to how none of the professional reviewers mentioned this problem. Like everybody just took it for granted that the wifi would work perfectly fine anywhere. 

Options

3 Posts

08-01-2012

India

13 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 213 of 818

2012-08-01, 10:20 AM

wrote:

All,

I believe our engineering team is making progress on this issue and I appreciate the feedback that you have provided so far.  Until we have an official fix, efforts to bombard service or agitate with local servicers are not going to resolve the problem. 

Until a fix is released and a formal tip issued, calling different call centers in different countries / regions will likely generate different responses as the agents attempt to do problem determination.

I understand that some of you have been posting here for a couple of weeks, but it does take a bit of time to test, gather enough information to determine the root cause and then develop a field plan.  Drivers can often take several weeks to develop and test - the ones being offered in this thread may improve the performance, but are probably not a solution for everyone.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused - we are working to get this resolved.

Best regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I agree such things take time, which is why they should have been done before launching the products internationally. I also feel ripped off about the fact that you were made aware of this problem on this website a month ago. Yet nowhere else is the bad wifi issue mentioned. The dealer didn't tell me, the reviewers didn't write it. I think trying to hush this issue up will cause more problems as more and more users purchase this machine and will then ask for their money back.

However, has the team made any progress yet? I really like this laptop and would like to hold on to it, but I can't do that without a confirmed time frame for a solution or better, the solution itself from your side. 

Options

1 Posts

08-01-2012

Netherlands

2 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 214 of 818

2012-08-01, 11:21 AM

I was still in doubt if I should buy the u410. Today I visited a computerstore where I mentioned this problem to one of the salespeople. He contacted Lenovo Netherlands, and they told us that the WiFi issue only exists on 802.11n networks.

Can you guys confirm this?

I'm sorry to say, but this whole issue is for me a reason to NOT buy a Lenovo laptop.

The look and feel of the U410 is great, and I was very impressed with the fast startup and the configuration of this system.

Other brands ask way more for laptops with similars specs, but the fact that a big company like Lenovo is not able to solve this problem in almost three months is not very reassuring.

Good luck to everyone with this problem...

Options

7 Posts

07-31-2012

austria

9 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 215 of 818

2012-08-01, 14:48 PM
Im returning my lenovo today since its just unacceptable! I mean lenovo just **bleep**s with their paying customers! There is no official announciation, they are obviously denying that there product has a problem and they are just playing out time! It has been almost 3 months since people complained about it and they still havent solved it! I mailed them like 2 days ago and nobody even replied. Thats not how u treat ur customers. Dear leonovo i will never buy any of ur products again in my life and dissuade everybody from them! Clearly they messed something up which cant be fixed because if a simple update would help there would already be an update!
Options

17 Posts

07-20-2012

Russia, Moscow

55 Signins

296 Page Views

• Views: 296
  • Message 216 of 818

2012-08-01, 14:55 PM

Today I gave my laptop for repair to the local service. They tells me that they will contact with lenovo about this issue and in case Lenovo confirms that, service will send me technical conclusion which I need for refund. Bad news: it can take 45 days.

Options

14 Posts

07-08-2012

Romania

99 Signins

510 Page Views

• Views: 510
  • Message 217 of 818

2012-08-01, 15:31 PM

Amazing, bought an edimax wifi adapter, the download is still crap. no improvement, but the download speed doubled.

Options

6 Posts

07-19-2012

United States of America

38 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 218 of 818

2012-08-01, 17:50 PM

Andreyyy7

What do you mean the difference between Download and Download Speed?

Options

14 Posts

07-08-2012

Romania

99 Signins

510 Page Views

• Message 219 of 818

2012-08-01, 19:51 PM

Sorry, i meant to say that the upload speed increased to almost double the speed it had with the standard reciever

Options

14 Posts

07-08-2012

Romania

99 Signins

510 Page Views

• Message 220 of 818

2012-08-01, 19:54 PM

Also i has been quite a while since we got an update from lenovo. some of us are really close to ending the no question return for their deviece, i believe that all of us will be really happy to hearing that theyve identified the issue and there is at least a small progress to fixing it.... 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms