Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-29-2012

Germany

14 Signins

81 Page Views

• Views: 81
  • Message 231 of 818

Re: My new u310 gives really low speeds on wifi

2012-08-03, 13:54 PM

You really think lenovo is still going to fix this problem? Why?

Look at it! It's not fixed, yet, so it's obviously not an easy fix like a typo in the driver source code or whatever. 

From the looks of it is's much more likely a serious hardware-related problem, requiring hardware redesign (e. g. include a different antenna, re-wire an interrupt controller, physically relocate a component inside the case, attach it to a different data bus system).

From an engineering standpoint this means redesigning the product, possibly including the internal PCB, re-testing, re-applying for certification (since the product changed), re-estimating material costs, possibly re-negotiating with suppliers, redesigning the production lines at the factory, and pulling back, trashing and re-shipping pretty much every unit sold.

Bottom line: huge costs, especially for a product aimed at the low-price segment of the market with probably not the best profit margin to begin with. (Remember: lenovo primarily deals in business machines that easily cost 3-4 times what we paid and earns a major part of its money by selling support contracts (which we don't have) to companies for old, long-proven hardware).

Alternative: sit this one out. As you can see, the problem is already starting to solve itself. Yes, a few people are returning their laptops for refund. But most of these devices were not even sold by lenovo directly, and since there officially is nothing wrong with the machines the shops are the ones sitting on the costs. Lenovo sold the machines to the shops. The shops can't sell them to customers. Officially there is nothing wrong with the machines. So the shops purchased laptops nobody wants. Too bad for the shops, not lenovo's problem.

Most of the buyers are however not computer cracks, but people who bought this laptop for the looks and who will very likely not even notice the difference in performance between a 400€ laptop and a 2000€ laptop, because they only write letters and listen to music on them, anyway.

Even IF these people notice the slow wifi performance and return to the store, if the salesman there tells them the problem is  probably their old and ugly wifi router most of them will believe it and keep the laptop. Even in this forum there are people who seriously considered just continuing to use the laptop with an additional external usb wifi stick! 

Problem solved, cost for lenovo: 0.00$

Yes, this is bad publicity. But this says: "Lenovo's low-priced consumer segment isn't the best performancewise." Response: "Yes, what do you expect, you get what you pay for. So pay a little extra for the top-of-the-line business model. They have a superb reputation and come with 5 year unlimited warrenty (for a little extra of course)."

Bottom line: I think lenovo will bury this one, maybe include a redesigned wifi on their 2013 (or 2014) series of notebooks, and that's it. It's by far the least expensive solution for the company, and since it's not a business notebook their primary market isn't even affected! The IT departments of companies buying laptops by the hundreds will never know (or care), because they don't buy these kinds of laptops, they buy thinkpads.

Think about it: Did Apple fix the antenna problem on the iPhone4? It was a huge issue at the time! No. They gave away 2$ plastic covers for free as an excuse, the reception is still crappy, but no one talks about it any more. Do you think it will really hurt sales for the iPhone 5? In a perfect world it would bankrupt Apple, but this is no fairy tale word...

Same story here. Yes, reception is crappy. But fixing it will most likely cost the company way more than ignoring it.

My point of view:

Return the product if you can and look for something else (I did).

If you can't return the notebook for a refund any more: get used to the idea that this will NEVER be fixed!

Options

17 Posts

07-20-2012

Russia, Moscow

55 Signins

296 Page Views

• Views: 296
  • Message 232 of 818

2012-08-03, 14:20 PM

Unfortunately, I think bastler's right.
Just a note for those who have waited in vain solutions and now can not return the laptop to the store (usually 15 days) like me.
Law on consumer protection generally gives the buyer power to return the goods of improper quality throughout the entire warranty period in case of essential fault of goods. In Russia this is one of:
1) impossibility of repair
2) repeated after the repair defect
3) repairs take longer than 45 days or commensurate with the cost of goods

So you can try to get technical advice of impossibility of repair from local autorized service or give them a chance to repair, wait 45 days and get back laptop with confirmation it was 45 days in service.
Find out exactly the timing and the exact wording in the legislation of your country!

Options

5 Posts

08-02-2012

India

7 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 233 of 818

2012-08-03, 16:54 PM

The temporary solution mentioned above about chaning to 801.11 g than 'n' are only applicable for intel adapter i guess. Because no such options available on Atheros adapter :( Unfortunate for me.

Lenovo, comeon. Water level rising above nose now.

Options

11 Posts

07-19-2012

Florida, USA

82 Signins

177 Page Views

• Views: 177
  • Message 234 of 818

2012-08-03, 20:15 PM

I tried implementing all of the changes suggested by p3ptoqc on my U310 and it made no difference.

Options

1 Posts

08-04-2012

United Kingdom

13 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 235 of 818

2012-08-04, 12:55 PM
This is an issue that has been around for over a year. I have experienced this issue with both the u400 and Dell XPS 15z. Details can be found on intel and dell forums. Details can be found at the following URL.
http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm
Options

7 Posts

07-31-2012

austria

9 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 236 of 818

2012-08-04, 12:58 PM

i was over these 15 days too, but i showed the store i bought it this thread and they took it back instantly. 

Options

3 Posts

08-01-2012

India

13 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 237 of 818

2012-08-04, 13:09 PM

Hey All,

I took my laptop to the service centre, they downloaded some driver patch onto it, the dealer told me the initial batches of this ultrabook do have the wifi issue and to tackle that the company has issued this new patch. However the patch failed to help. I have a broadcom 802.11n adapter.

So I got in touch with the customer support and asked them for a refund. They asked me for a service centre report, and when I asked the dealer for the same, he said he can't issue such a report because the problem has been fixed from his side. He says the laptop gets proper connection at the service centre, however it goes back to slow at my house.

I think the over all attitude of the lenovo staff is horrible. They know the machines are bad, yet they refuse to take them back. Instead they're taking the customers for a ride. I think I will have to legally tackle this. 

Anyone else in India whose having a problem returning their faulty ultrabook?

Options

44 Posts

07-15-2012

Netherlands

237 Signins

890 Page Views

• Views: 890
  • Message 238 of 818

2012-08-04, 13:43 PM

wrote:
This is an issue that has been around for over a year. I have experienced this issue with both the u400 and Dell XPS 15z. Details can be found on intel and dell forums. Details can be found at the following URL.
http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm

Not only Intel cards, but also Broadcom/Atheros and others are used in the U310/U410 models. And disabling any powersaving functions on them does not solve the issue. So thanks for the headsup, but unfortunately it doesnt help here.

Options

20 Posts

07-19-2012

Malaysia

62 Signins

273 Page Views

• Views: 273
  • Message 239 of 818

2012-08-04, 13:58 PM
LENOVO, WHY YOU NO REPLY????
Options

2 Posts

08-04-2012

United States

7 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 240 of 818

2012-08-04, 23:29 PM

Here's my question - is this a hardware or a software/driver issue? 

If it's a problem with the antenna I want to have it repaired under warranty.

If it's a software/drive issue, it needs to get fixed.

But more than anything it would be good to see some communication by Lenovo about the issue. With so many users encountering the issue, I haven't seen anything on it other than the one comment by the Lenovo CS person in this thread.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms