Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

25 Posts

05-12-2009

us

45 Signins

349 Page Views

• Views: 349
  • Message 51 of 63

Re: New Bios Version 67 Flashing Trouble

2009-06-06, 15:11 PM

The problem here is that for many of us the 1 year warranty is up in a few months.

If Lenovo can not resolve this BIOS issue soon, we will have to send these defective units in for warranty RMAs.

We can not wait until the last moment before warranty expiration given that Lenovo's track record here does not inspire any confidence that further problems will not develop even after Lenovo releases a flashable BIOS.

What if the BIOSES after a flashable BIOS have similar problems?

Customers expect their computers to be flashable after the warranty period is over in order to correct various issues.

If Lenovo can not warranty that these units will be flashable in the future then there is a problem here that may require a recall of all defective units by Lenovo.

Will Lenovo extend the warranty period for an additional year, or will it offer to replace the defective units with an updated model that does not exhibit these problems, or will it offer a permanent solution soon?

Someone of authority from Lenovo ought to address these customer concerns soon as the clock is ticking here.

Options

44 Posts

03-24-2009

Vancouver, BC

795 Signins

3758 Page Views

• Views: 3758
  • Message 52 of 63

2009-06-06, 16:17 PM

It just blows my mind that we have heard no update on why Bios 67 isn't flashable on many units and why Bios 90 kills off many units. If the engineering team can't figure out why its happening pretty darn quick then Lenovo needs to hire some qualified  engineers and fast.

I realize they may never actually say what the problem is/was as that tends to be the nature of a large company however there has been no new bios released that resolves the issues.

Lenovo - you should be ashamed as a company!!!

Options

17 Posts

06-12-2009

Atlanta, GA.

20 Signins

307 Page Views

• Views: 307
  • Message 53 of 63

2009-06-12, 6:43 AM

Same issue here, have an S10 purchased in January of this year, type 4231 mfd 08/11/05, cannot load the 67 version either, get the dreaded 144 message. Running XP Pro SP3, 2GB of RAM, not preload and 3 cell battery. Tried disabling zone alarm, booting to safe mode, ensured fully charged battery and AC plugged in- same results. No problem backing up current BIOS, it just fails to write. Only reason I want the update it to have the option to squelch the beep when plugging in AC.  Are there any ideas what is causing this or workarounds?

the views expressed herein are those of the author and do not in anyway represent those of the poster's employer, or it's affiliates, vendors or served agencies.
Options

89 Posts

01-21-2009

Kenmore,WA

643 Signins

3975 Page Views

• Views: 3975
  • Message 54 of 63

2009-06-12, 14:27 PM

Stop the beep while in Windows

Go to Sound icon open volumn control and set beep level 

Frank
Kenmore, WA
USA
Options

3 Posts

06-14-2009

singapore

17 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 55 of 63

2009-06-14, 16:22 PM

dear all,

I may have found the reason why some people are able to flash to v67 and some aren't... just to keep everyone in suspense i'll leave the best for last. :)

I've been struggling to flash my other half's s10 (no e) -- model number uncertain, except that the tag reads Mo : R3N038A24187 (does this make it a 4187? made in china.) after it came prepacked with v 38 from the shop.

initially it came with the C: formatted as fat32; the hard disk fragmented to approx 60% every three or four days requiring a lot of defragging (why use fat 32 at all with xp home??!); an attempt to "slide" the cluster size back to 4kb with booitng showed that the computer was already optimised for ntfs (again... what gives?! if lenovo was thinking of ntfs in the first place why not just format it ntfs and be done with it?) so /convert got ntfs up and running in under five min, with the optimal cluster size; since then fragmentation has been much less of a worry and the mft has shrunk from 8 fragments to 2, with a noticeable improvement in performance.

however shortly after this i found this forum... maybe the laptop was already spinning its fans up a lot before the conversion to ntfs and i just wasn't noticing, but well after reading this forum the frequent spinups began to annoy me, and i was very very conscious of them. (worse still, i'm not sure if its the same for all of you but the laptop pauses for a nearly imperceptible moment while spinning the fans, and it gets annoying when using photoshop cs3...)

i was unable to flash to v 67 like everyone else here, and got the -144 error.

I followed the advice of one of the people here and flashed to v 58, and lo and behold... i was still unable to flash to v 67, with a full battery and AC power attached.

however the frequent fan spin ups were much improved... but now the backlight stayed on when the lid was closed (which it most definitely did not with v 38)

this didn't really bug me in itself, and i was quite content to stay at v 58...

...but today after reading how other people had full batteries and could not flash, etcetcetc... i wondered idly if perhaps the computer would flash without a battery installed... ie just on AC power alone.

I wasn't really expecting it to work, but it did...

... now i notice the fan is spinning up intermittently, where at 58 it was nearly not spinning up at all. i'm in two minds about it; perhaps it means the computer is not running as hot as before, but either way its not spinning up as often as in 38, and its not pausing when spinning the fans, and the fan doesnt seem to rev as high as in v 38 so i guess that's all right.

So in short, if you can't flash to 67, try upgrading to 58 first then taking out your battery...

... good luck

Options

25 Posts

05-12-2009

us

45 Signins

349 Page Views

• Message 56 of 63

2009-06-14, 18:51 PM

I think Lenovo is coming out with version 69.

To flash the S10 with this version the directions will be:

1.   Hold S10 with left hand,

2.   Put your head between your legs,

3.   Raise right foot,

4.   Click Flash,

Will it flash the bios or will you flash yourself???

We'll just have to wait to find out, but don't hold your breath..........

Options

3 Posts

06-14-2009

singapore

17 Signins

110 Page Views

• Message 57 of 63

2009-06-15, 14:36 PM

just a shot in the dark, but for everyone who couldn't update their bios to 67... are you all using 3-cell batteries?

would appreciate feedback re whether taking the battery out fixed the problem

Options

17 Posts

06-12-2009

Atlanta, GA.

20 Signins

307 Page Views

• Views: 307
  • Message 58 of 63

2009-06-20, 5:42 AM
I had no problems flashing to ver 59 but no dice with 67. Tried removing the battery, still get a 144 error code. Even verified that I was loading the correct flash by entering my system serial number on support.lenovo.com and file I got was 14CN67WW. I do have a 3-cell battery, machine type is a 4231. O/S is Windows XP Professional SP3, 2GB of RAM installed. The 59 version did allow me to shut off the annoying beep, but I would like to have the latest BIOS if possible.
the views expressed herein are those of the author and do not in anyway represent those of the poster's employer, or it's affiliates, vendors or served agencies.
Options

25 Posts

05-12-2009

us

45 Signins

349 Page Views

• Message 59 of 63

2009-06-20, 16:17 PM

This 144 error is a simple error:  BIOS is not flashable. The model is not compatible.

Some programming lines in the BIOS flash program check the S10 and erroneously determine that your S10 is not the correct model.

All Lenovo has to do is remove these lines.

OR maybe Lenovo should issue a specific BIOS to each S10 SERIAL #.

BUT since these netbooks have already been sold this problem does not appear to be a priority.  Lenovo is probably focusing their manpower on the new netbook models coming out.

Also, as I posted before, I think there should be another way to flash the BIOS outside Windows, FROM AN A DRIVE DISKETTE, or a USB drive, just as most computers are able.  The BIOS should be flashable without a hard drive installed.

Message Edited by JimboUS on 06-20-2009 09:30 AM
Options

3 Posts

06-14-2009

singapore

17 Signins

110 Page Views

• Message 60 of 63

2009-06-21, 8:30 AM

It's beginning to look like there are a few reasons for the update not working.

http://www.s10lenovo.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2450&p=19396#p19396

the "battery removal" methods seems to work on some s10s and not others.

perhaps theres a whole string of flawed checks in the 67 bios.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms