cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sentient
Core Memory
Views: 454
Message 1 of 7

OS installation and data backup without OS, MDR to GTP Conversion.

Hi all.

I have Lenovo Ideapad S510p with Windows 10 Pro. It was having some issues with the OS so I tried to reinstall the Windows again using a bootable USB. In doing so I formatted the partition C on which the OS was installed earlier but now the OS won't install cause it gives me error that my hard drive has MBR partition so how can I save my data which is on partition D, E and F while there no OS installed currently on the HDD. I have external hard disk to back up the data and a bootable USB drive which has the latest version of Windows 10.

I want to convert the HDD partitions to GTP so that I can install the OS without losing the data. Please me guys.

HDD is 500GB and external HDD has enough space to save the data from laptop HDD. Bootable drive is 8GB. Safe way to save data from the partition of HDD i.e. D,E, and F and transfer the data to external HDD so that i can convert the laptop HDD to GTP partition and install Windows 10 version 1709 again. Please help. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 398
Message 2 of 7

Re: OS installation and data backup without OS, MDR to GTP Conversion.

The easiest way to do this might to boot a live Linux like Ubuntu on a flash drive and use it to copy your data to the external drive.

There's a Ubuntu tutorial on how to create the flash drive - linked below.

I find it easier to do it by hand: download the 64-bit Ubuntu 17.10 ISO.  Use Windows 10 Explorer or an archiving tool like 7zip (free) to transfer the contents of the ISO - not the ISO itself - to a FAT32-formatted flash drive.  That's the way most flash drives arrive out of the box.  The above is all you need to do to create a UEFI-bootable flash drive.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Sentient
Core Memory
Views: 392
Message 3 of 7

I don't have another PC/laptop to download Linux on a flash drive & do that. Any other way to transfer data to EXTERNAL HDD from the HDD (which doesn't have OS) or converting partitions to GTP without losing the data of the partitions so that i can install OS on my laptop?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 324
Message 4 of 7

I don't know how you are going to copy data without booting something on that machine.

If that bootable Windows USB drive is MS media you could go old-school:

Boot it.  After the language and keyboard screen select "repair your computer" in the lower left.  Then "Troubleshoot".  Then "Command Prompt".

Use command-line copy to transfer your files.

Good luck,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Sentient
Core Memory
Views: 319
Message 5 of 7

@zoltanthegypsy can you tell me what commands to use? data is on partition D, E and F of the HDD.

So what commands should I use to transfer them to the external HDD. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 312
Message 6 of 7

@Sentient wrote:

@zoltanthegypsy can you tell me what commands to use? data is on partition D, E and F of the HDD.

So what commands should I use to transfer them to the external HDD. 

I'm afraid I can't.  Without knowing exactly where the files are, how many directory layers deep they are, whether you need to copy directory trees recursively along with files, what they are named, whether they have common file name extensions.... there's no way to give you specific instructions.

The partitions may not have the same letters assigned when accessed this way.

@you may need copy. xcopy, and/ or move with wildcards and switches.  They're all available @ the DOS prompt when that install flash drive is booted to repair->troubleshoot->command prompt.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/240268/copy-xcopy-and-move-overwrite-functionality-changes-...

Z.

Sentient
Core Memory
Views: 271
Message 7 of 7

Well, I was able to make a bootable USB using Linux Ubuntu 17 and saved my data on my external HDD and then converted the laptop HDD to GTP and installed Windows 10 Pro on it. Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals