Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

19 Posts

12-02-2013

United States

24 Signins

250 Page Views

• Views: 250
  • Message 51 of 59

Re: Rapid start stopped working on U310 after upgrading to win 8.1

2014-01-15, 3:42 AM

I think that I may have run across a possible cause for the 'unable to wake from sleep' issue (BSOD - Driver Power State Failure).

It seems that during Windows 8.1 upgrade, a new 350 MB recovery partition is created.

Reference this link:  http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/169284-windows-81-creates-2nd-recovery-partition/

[Speculation]

I think that this process is messing up the partitions in the mSata SSD that were configured as the hibernation partition for Intel Rapid Start Technology to operate correctly and the partition for caching the HDD using Rapid Storage Technology / ExpressCache.

On my U310 (Touch), the mSata SSD size is 24GB. The original configuration should have had a hibernation partition equal to or slightly larger than the amount of RAM installed on the computer, and a partition sized to the remaining SSD for caching.

After upgrading to Windows 8.1, I see no hibernation partition and 3 recovery partitions (one being 350MB).

I do not have partition information for my system from before the upgrade to Windows 8.1.

If anyone can provide the partion structure from a Windows 8.0 U310 with Intel Rapid Start Technology working we can compare to see if this may be the cause of the problem.

There are now U310s for sale wirh Windows 8.1 preinstalled. The partition information from one of these units would be useful for comparison also.

Note that the SSD is configured to look like it is part of the HDD, so you may not see it as a separate drive

If we can prove that this is the cause of the issue, we can then work on a solution.

Help, anyone?

Options

40 Posts

04-10-2009

Düsseldorf, Germany

68 Signins

964 Page Views

• Views: 964
  • Message 52 of 59

2014-03-30, 19:42 PM

I have the same issue after recovery using the left corner button.

Even I have to set SATA controller mode to AHCI, otherwise I cannot do the recovery install. i.e. If I set that to RAID, I got constantly error system/blue screen.

After set AHCI mode, I can do the recovery, after startup I got constantly reminder: intel rapid start technology not enabled. Besides in device mamanger I got a device error: USB-IF xHCI USB host Controller!  I tried to set back to RAID, system won't start.

Please could anyone tell me how to enable SSD rapid start?

I heard win8 needs several hidden partitions. Is it Microsoft or Lenovo make things so complicated, even though I am IT people myself, I got really frustrated.

Hereby my partition after recovery:

Signature on work
Options

5 Posts

05-09-2014

Toronto

5 Signins

87 Page Views

• Views: 87
  • Message 53 of 59

2014-05-09, 2:22 AM

I just posted in another thread about potentially fixing this issue.

I found on a U310 Touch (which did NOT have an SSD according to BIOS + Disk Management) even after doing a factory reset, that the 25GB Lenovo partition became just that, a regular, usable partition to the end user. Somehow, it got unmarked as the hibernation partition.

Try this and see if it works for you, I got a U310 to come back to normal with "ESTABLISHED" under the BIOS with iRST.

Diskpart

List disk

Select disk X (either the 25GB SSD, or disk 0 being your main hdd and only disk showing)
List partition

Select partition X (where X is the 24.9 / 25GB partition or the single partition on your SSD drive)

set id=D3BFE2DE-3DAF-11DF-BA40-E3A556D89593  <-- This is the magic line, and tells the partition to be marked as purely for hibernation aka iRST!

Reboot, check BIOS to see if it goes from INVALID to ESTABLISHED

check in Windows if you don't get the annoying popup telling you iRST is not enabled

Maybe this will help some others, took me awhile to figure this one out on a U310 Touch model from my customer.

Options

19 Posts

12-02-2013

United States

24 Signins

250 Page Views

• Views: 250
  • Message 54 of 59

2014-05-09, 2:54 AM

Thanks for updating with this solution.  I was suspecting something like that was the cause.

My SSD was replaced when I sent mt 310 Touch in to have a broken hinge issue repaired.  In the process, the hard driive was re-imaged and Rapid Start has since been working perfectly.  

I would be interested in how the heck you figured this out.  Also, did you have to change anything else after making the changes, like to Windows?

Anyway, thanks for following up on this thread.  Solutions like this makes these forums worthwhile.

Options

5 Posts

05-09-2014

Toronto

5 Signins

87 Page Views

• Message 55 of 59

2014-05-09, 3:03 AM

More or less this is how I came to find the fix:

I noticed the 25GB partition was visible to the end user through My Computer, which seemed out of place for a system-type partition

I also was following a guide on how to reset the partition to a hibernation-type partition. Intel Rapid Start / Storage technology basically uses a hidden "Hibernation" partition to store a hibernate of the Windows session, thereby enabling faster booting of Windows, often through the use of an SSD for this hibernation image.

So when following a guide on how to reset the partition to a hibernation partition (http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/The-Guide-on-How-To-Reformat-Repartition-AND-Get-RapidStart-amp/td-p/910731), I realizxed id=84 override wasn't working. I googled and came across a Microsoft post (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6f4842da-b992-43e6-bffe-f9c5dc4577a2/diskpart-set-id-command-not-working) and was able to use set id=D3BFE2DE-3DAF-11DF-BA40-E3A556D89593 instead, which ended up fixing the problem upon rebooting and verifying in BIOS and windows.

Hope this helps you know how I figured it all out. If this works for others, I would be happy to know or assist further if not. Let me know if this works 310user.

Options

5 Posts

05-09-2014

Toronto

5 Signins

87 Page Views

• Message 56 of 59

2014-05-09, 3:05 AM

I didn't change anytthing in windows, I had the alert about it not being enabled on this system, applied the diskpart fix, and then I rebooted. I also had installed the Intel Rapid Storage driver from Lenovo's driver website to make sure it was recent and up to date. Otherwise, I left it the same from the OneKey recovery image and default BIOS settings (Didn't even update BIOS, so same factory one)

Options

16 Posts

10-11-2013

Los Angeles

90 Signins

600 Page Views

• Views: 600
  • Message 57 of 59

2014-06-11, 17:44 PM

I tried envisiontech's fix on my U410 non touch, and the IRST error went away, but it still has problems coming back from sleep. My U410 has a 32GB SSD, but it isn't recognized anywhere so I'm guessing that failed. The IRST went from INVALID to ESTABLISHED in the bios. Any suggestions to fix the sleep problem?

Options

5 Posts

05-09-2014

Toronto

5 Signins

87 Page Views

• Message 58 of 59

2014-06-11, 20:22 PM

Hi there,

Can you give me more information on what happens? As much details as possible please.

The SSD won't show in My Computer because it is now marked as a hibernation partition. Check if you can see it in diskpart: Hit Windows key + R, type diskmgmt.msc, and in the window that opens tell me what you see. Specifically, tell me how many Volumes you have inside of the disk (Look in the middle of screen at Disk 0, you will see a blue bar across it, tell me how many containers and what they are inside of there)

See if you can replicate it with test use cases. Turn it on, go to sleep, can't turn back on (Any lights? any noise? etc. 
Turn it on, hibernate it, can you turn it on again?

I'll see what I can come up with and get back to you.

Options

16 Posts

10-11-2013

Los Angeles

90 Signins

600 Page Views

• Views: 600
  • Message 59 of 59

2014-06-11, 22:59 PM

Here's what you wanted me to take a look at: http://i.imgur.com/ETZsQlp.png

When my laptop is set to sleep and is woken up my laptop would freeze on the login screen so I would need to restart my laptop. The fan runs as normal and the lights light up as normal. When my laptop is set to hibernate then it works fine. 

This sleep problem seems to accompany the IRST error. Here's some more people talking about it here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/your-system-does-not-appear-to-have-intel-rapid-start-technology/m-p/1044621/highlight/true#M81999

If I had a 32GB SSD, shouldn't it be shown in the BIOS? It only detects my HDD.

I followed this post: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Y500-How-do-I-tell-if-automatic-SSD-cache-is-working/td-p/989349 to see whether my SSD was caching properly.

Here's what it shows after entering the commands: http://i.imgur.com/YFYzdhh.png

My SSD caching worked perfectly before the IRST errors started popping up.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms