Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lbartlett92
What's DOS?
Views: 1,532
Message 211 of 325

Re: Lenovo Ideapad U410 and U410 Touch broken hinge/cover

Hi there,

Glad to find others in the same boat as me!

I have an Ideapad U410 Touch edition, and in the past week or two, I too have been having issues with the right hinge. It started becoming loose, then made a clicking sound and now is getting worse and worse to the point where I am scared to shut or open the lid for fear of completely breaking the hinge.

I bought the laptop in the UK in October 2013, so my warranty has expired, but I am now living in Australia. I was wondering if there is any way that I can get this fixed while I'm in Australia? Or will I have to wait and cautiously use my Laptop for the next 6 months until I head back to the UK?

I'm gutted as I love this laptop, it's the best one I've had, and I've treated it with care for the past year and a half. Please help!

Thanks

tcpekin
Paper Tape
Views: 1,481
Message 212 of 325

Just today my problem got worse. Much like other posters, the hinge went from being broken but usable for a few months to fully destroyed. The screen has now delaminated almost halfway around and I'm afraid to even open my laptop only a few more times. All I have to say is that this should never happen, in or out of warranty. This should not be the type of failures that occur on laptops less than two years old. At this stage, I'm never buying a Lenovo product ever again. Why deal with this type of worksmanship. 

Thanks for the hassle,

tcpekin

mitchillen17
Paper Tape
Views: 1,450
Message 213 of 325

I fall into the same boat as everyone here and this issue is absolutely ridiculous. I have had my laptop for only 1.5 years  (out of warranty now) and having issues with the hinge so early is completely unacceptable. Lenovo should be held solely responsible but they are just giving everyone without a warranty the typical excuses.

Amy, a technical support agent  told me today that she has never heard of this issue in the ideapad line. You mentioned that there was an investigation which has now concluded and that support agents and warranty centers should be aware of this. Well, this clearly isn't the case because the support agent has apparently never heard of these issues and has not received official word or instructions on how to deal with such a situation.  

Faulty manufacturing and defects are one thing, but not offering support as a result of one's own faults is another.

Needless to say, myself and anyone I know is never again purchasing a Lenovo product. 

Guess it's time to shop for a new laptop since this one is going to break any minute. Thanks for the trouble, Lenovo.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules.

adil_khan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,403
Message 214 of 325

Hi Amy/Lenovo, 

My laptop's (U410 nontouch) hinge broke while it was in waranty. I contacted the customer care at that time but I was informed that I would have to pay to get it fixed so I did not pursue it and used my laptop with a broken hinge. I wanted to know where does this leave me now? My laptop is not in warranty anymore, is there any point in contacting customer care? 

loverunning3636
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,345
Message 215 of 325

Hi Amy/Lenovo
My Ideapad U 530 Touch also had been experiencing a problem with a broken hinge. I had reviewed the forum boards and noticed Amy is willing to advocate for customers on behalf of the company. I had PM 'd you the issue claim # for the customer support I had reached by phone. They told me that because it is out of warranty (the computer's warranty expired in November 2014), I'd have to spend $99 getting it fixed, despite my mentioning of this forum. Please reply soon as I feel increasingly optionless.
- Carly
mikeymopar
What's DOS?
Views: 1,324
Message 216 of 325

Same exact problem with a U410 Touch...bottom right corner separated due to hinge failure.

Same exact response from Lenovo....You're out of luck sucker. Please buy another one and accept our paltry discount offer.

Yeah, right after the Cubs win a World Series is when we'll purchase another Lenovo
edmonton-guy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,278
Message 217 of 325

Re: Lenovo Ideapad u410 broken hinge/cover

Hi there,

I have the exact same problem. One day I opened my laptop and the hinge/cover is broken and about two inches of the screen from the left is dead. It is a vertical bar.

edmonton-guy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,272
Message 218 of 325

What happens to the ones who are out of warranty?
edmonton-guy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,269
Message 219 of 325

Hi Amy,

My laptop is out of warranty, however since this is a manufacturing defect, this should be fixed at no cost to the poor consumer.
I called the hardware support and they dont even recognize it as a known issue. They say if it was a known issue, Lenovo would do a recall for all. What is going on? I thought lenovo is a good company and would stand behind the product.
lenovou410hinge
What's DOS?
Views: 1,187
Message 220 of 325

Re: Lenovo Ideapad u410 broken hinge/cover

Hi Amy Tupper,

I am facing the exact issue as described in this forum for the Lenovo U410 broken hinge/cover. My laptop does not have the touchscreen functionality. I am currently in the US and you could take up my case for further investigation.

.Kindly respond at the earliest.

Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors