Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alb22ert
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,500
Message 101 of 204

Re: U310 Touch Hinge

he is just hoping that we all give up :-) but it is no way we are going to give up

Ivysaur
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,482
Message 102 of 204

Just reminding people that this is still a problem.
Come on Lenovo!
This is insane! Ugh.

zhouzhi98
Punch Card
Views: 1,449
Message 103 of 204

Guys,

Unfortunately I found another post about the same probem in another model (U410) of Lenovo's laptop. Apparently this issue has happened in several models in their factories, and I know they know. We, the customers, have wasted too much time and energy on this. We need a solution. Please check the following ten page discussion:

"Lenovo Ideapad U410 and U410 Touch broken hinge/cover"

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Re-Lenovo-Ideapad-U410-and-U410-Touch-broke...

Mod edit:  Removed a sentence that is against Forum Rules.  Please refer to the last paragraph under Prohibitions.

Ivysaur
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,419
Message 104 of 204

I'm just dreading the day the hinges on my comp pop. I know it's gonna happen. Ugh.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Guidelines. No campaigning.

Ivysaur
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,406
Message 105 of 204

I don't want to sound standoffish but...

All you've been doing is posting "Next week I'll come back with an update". Over and over again. Not only here but on the other thread regarding a different model with the same problem.

What can else can we do to prompt a response from Lenovo?

zhouzhi98
Punch Card
Views: 1,378
Message 106 of 204

The more I search related issues with lenovo laptops, the more I become frustrated. If you did a quick search "hinge" in lenovo community, you will notice that at least the following laptops have hinge problems:

U310
U410
U430
P580
Y410
Y510
Y560
Y570
Z580

They simply broke. I have never ever seen so many hinge problems in other brands, such as Dell or HP. No matter what, poor quality products are continued to be produced and sold to customers.

What a horrible experience!

What a horrible mistake for us to buy their products!

zhouzhi98
Punch Card
Views: 1,372
Message 107 of 204

And the real problem is likely the poor quality of the screws in the chassis, but not not the hinge (the hinge may be stiff, but it should be stiff because you need to firmly tap on the touch screen)! Please check the following post I found in another discussion. Lenovo used poor quality screws to fix the hinge at the bottom of the chassis, and  those poor quality screws broke and the hinge protrdued the back cover and finally damaged the screen. This is a design defect! The screws were not designed to hold the forces after six month of usage and the system has not been fully tested. The QA/QC is so poor.

"Re: Y570 Hinge
Options

‎12-28-2013 02:42 PM

Hi, I had the same problem. Lenovo wanted me to spend 200bux even though its under warranty which I find to be terirble on thier part.

I said bump them, and did it myself. It isnt actually the hinges that was the problem (thought it appears to be). it was actually the chassis itself due to poor engineering and design.

Lenovo cheaply has 3 very tiny screws that basically hold the hinges to the bottom case and over time all 3 broke off and that's why the hinge is loose and thats why the case comes up when you open the lid.

I went on ebay and bought the bottom cover and read the service manual and stripped it all the way down and recnnected everything and the laptop is as good as new. Only by chance did I buy the bottom case as I bought to sicne the side grills came off (another common problem with this model).

It ended up costing me much less than what Lenovo was charging."

Ivysaur
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,356
Message 108 of 204

Truth is I shouldn't have to spend MORE money because I already paid for this computer.

You don't buy a new product from a company expecting to pay money to repair it.

rit61
Paper Tape
Views: 1,327
Message 109 of 204

I'm just getting my hinge issue added here after I have been calling in to Lenovo ((2 case no.s, 2nd one just today) to determine repair costs since my unit is out of warranty (purchased June 4, 2013).  I'm using my U310 at home with it left open, i.e., never closing the display because of the broken hinge.  The hinge problem started with display mis-alignment when I closed the laptop which was preceded with the previously mentioned cracking sound.  Lenovo wants $99 to diagnose and when pressed for cost of repairs estimates $269 with the $99 going towards the total cost.

There is a known design flaw to Lenovo of which Lenovo does not want to acknowlege or remedy.  As an unsatisfied first time customer, I will not sink more money into a repair that appears to be the same design.  I will instead invest in the purchase of another brand of laptop or tablet. 

This laptop also has know issues with wi-fi reception, though Lenovo says they resolved them in the last quarter of 2012.  I've have been using a dongle to improve my wi-fi reception.

I have and will continue to share my poor Lenovo product experience with anyone I have the opportunity to advise. 

I'm a Consumer Reports (CR) subscriber for many years and bought the U310 based on CR performance reports.  I plan to advise CR of the issues with Lenovo ideapads.

Mod edit:  Removed a section that was against Forum Rules, please refer to the last paragraph in the section Prohibitions.

Highlighted
Former Employee
Views: 1,594
Message 110 of 204

Update:

Unless dropped or otherwise damaged, U310 Touch and U410 Touch models that exhibit the symptoms described in this discussion thread should be repairable through service. If you have experienced these symptoms, please contact Lenovo service now. In some cases, service may be able to help even if your warranty has expired.

Thank you for your patience while Lenovo concluded this investigation.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals