Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cohentl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,844
Message 7 of 204

Re: U310 Touch Hinge

Same problem here... any solutions?   What about gluing it? 

EDIT: Moved post up to use for escalation - Amy_Lenovo

Lenovo is investigating reports of U310 Touch devices experiencing hardware issues with hinges and the screen becoming separated from the lid or bezel.

ccb158
Paper Tape
Views: 12,023
Message 1 of 204

U310 Touch Hinge

I purchased a Lenovo U310 Touch last May and it has been working wonderfully until recently.  I've noticed in the last few weeks that every time I open or close the lid, the hinge makes a loud cracking noise and pops off at the ends. I can press the hinge cover back into place, but it just continues to pop off every time I open/close it. I contacted Lenovo Support about the issue, and even though my machine is still under warranty, they will not fix it without charging me because they have no proof I didn't break it myself (which I find absolutely ridiculous; I haven't dropped or damaged it in any way, and if you look at the computer you can clearly see it is otherwise in perfect condition.)

That being said, has anyone else experienced this problem with the U310? Does anyone have any suggestions to fix it? I am concerned that it will just get worse and eventually affect my display.

rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 11,979
Message 2 of 204

sounds like a spring is out of place is if both hinges or just one and does it pop off some piece or like flex it out of the way then pop it off? if they refuse to fix that is so sucky but maybe you can fix it your self, it shouldnt effect your display unless it starts pinching the video cable. if your nota very tech savy person (or just clumsy lol) i would not recomend fixing it yourself but here is how to get into your laptop if you want to http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_u310_u410_hmm_1st_edition_mar_2012_english.p....

I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, P50 4K, X1C5
paliqueo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,959
Message 3 of 204

I had the exact same problem. I tried to snap it back, jut like you did, but Im sorry to say that it got much worse. In my case, the cover that made the sound got stuck and the hinges and cables were exposed. When I closed the lid, it was not aligned with the the computer and it just got worse and ugly. I had accidental insurrance on the computer and took it to the store to get fixed. They just informed me that they don't have the parts available to fix it, so ill be contacting the insurrance company in the hopes that they will return my money. Heads up, the clerk from the store told me that my computer was the second one taken in with that same problem. So it looks like this is a problem with the manufacture. 

Hope this info helps you and much others. 

PS: Lenovo's warranty on hardware does not cover this issue. 

ccb158
Paper Tape
Views: 11,946
Message 4 of 204

I knew it! Now if only I could prove to Lenovo that this IS a known problem with the model and not my fault...

Thanks for the information!

paliqueo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,920
Message 5 of 204

Too bad i had this problem, it was my first time purchasing a Lenovo computer, and i think ill stay away from their products. Good riddance i had it insured with Square Trade and didn't loose all my money.

I just posted a tweet citing lenovo. If you are having similar problems i encourage you to retweet it or make your own message, cite them @lenovo and include pics. We need to let them know that the equipment is defective and make them accountable for it. Make a roar, BE HEARD.

Here are some pics of the issue that is being described above. Note that this is NORMAL use. The computer has not been droped or neglected (actually it has been teated like a child). As a graduate student this is a big, big mishap i had to encounter while writing my thesis. 

Link to image

Link to image

Edit:  Changed oversize pics to links per Forum Rule:  50k limit on pics

ccb158
Paper Tape
Views: 11,843
Message 6 of 204

Here are images of what my hinge looks like currently. I am absolutely positive it is the same issue as yours, but in an earlier stage of falling apart. It is becoming very close to splitting all the way across the whole computer.

I use my computer very normally and with extreme care. It has not been dropped or been involved in any other type of accident, and has no other damage (as you can see by the provided images). It is insane that Lenovo will not repair this considering my computer is still under their warranty and it is clearly a manufacturer's defect.

http://s23.postimg.org/4kgzplqu3/CAM00637.jpg   --- Rear left

http://s23.postimg.org/lm9trp5p7/CAM00639.jpg   --- Rear right

http://s23.postimg.org/qc4cu1m3f/CAM00640.jpg --- Bottom (no other damage present, but you can see the hinge is about to split down the whole computer)
http://s23.postimg.org/ekghj8rh7/CAM00641.jpg  --- Top (more proof that there is no damage/accident)

http://s23.postimg.org/kmo49qfx7/CAM00642.jpg  --- Rear of the computer as seen from the top

ccb158
Paper Tape
Views: 11,777
Message 8 of 204

I found no solutions. I bought a new computer and will tell anyone who'll listen not to waste their money on Lenovo products.

dharmendra30
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,764
Message 9 of 204

Same hinge hardening issue, I also found with my U310 Touch. It looks like design of hinge-stiffness & plastic/fiber used are not correct. And plastic sheet starts separating. I have reduced using the hinge joint. But looking for some way about to replace the hinge. But service training manual (of U410 Touch, very similar to U310 ) says that it should not be dismantaled(see below)!  Any help in steps required to replace hinge joint of U310Touch would be very helpfull.

Thanks

Lenovo_U410_Touch_Display_Unit

dharmendra30
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,757
Message 10 of 204

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors