08-20-2010

USA

25 Signins

350 Page Views

• Views: 350
  • Message 61 of 201

Re: S10-3 / S10-3s 2GB Memory Upgrade didnt work

2010-08-20, 23:19 PM

Wish I'd seen this topic before I bought the 2GB stick. Thx to all for posting.

Further to Cleo's request:

•  Machine Family: S10-3
  •  Machine Type Model: 0647-2BU
  •  Serial Number (send private msg to me):
  •  Brand and spec of RAM that cannot work: Patriot PSD32G13332S 2GB PC3-10666 1333MHz CL9 SoDimm
  •  Brand and spec of RAM that can work: 1GB OEM and ???
  •  What do you see/notice after plug in the new RAM? (e.g blank screen during boot up, but fan is running, LED has light, beep sound heard....etc). Upon power up, the Power, Battery and Disk Activity LEDS light up. Disk activity is audible for a couple of seconds, then disk goes quiet and Disk LED goes dark. No beeps or POST codes at any time. Screen is blank at all times. Power and Battery LEDs remain lit.
Options

2329 Posts

01-21-2009

DE

2771 Signins

119910 Page Views

• Views: 119910
  • Message 62 of 201

2010-08-24, 17:30 PM

Update :got  2  positive response  from German Thinkpad-Forum ....approved by user

S10-3s 0703-D4G

* =  Kingston ValueRAM SO-DIMM 2 GB DDR3-1333 KVR1333D3S9/2G

(but first try memory stick with different production date will produce fault at boot up)

S10-3s 0703-D4G

* = CSZ 2GB S0-DDR3 1333 Mhz PC3-10600S CL-9-9-9-24 Compustocx

regards KalvinKlein

Yoga Home 900 - Yoga 2 11- Yoga tablet 2 all WIN 10 1809
Moto Z Play - Moto Z2 Play
Options

4 Posts

08-20-2010

USA

25 Signins

350 Page Views

• Views: 350
  • Message 63 of 201

2010-08-26, 16:59 PM

Has anyone tried the A-Data AD3S1333B2G9-R 2GB DDR3 module in an S10-3? Appears to use Hynix chips.

(I'm trying to upgrade my S10-3 (0647-2BU) to 2GB and would prefer a different brand but having great trouble finding online retailers that carry 2GB modules of DDR3 that reliably works with the S10-3)

Options

21 Posts

08-27-2010

US

76 Signins

487 Page Views

• Views: 487
  • Message 64 of 201

2Gb DDR3 for my S10-3

2010-08-30, 14:57 PM

Hello.  I want to upgrade my S10-3 to 2Gg.  I read the upgrade guide and I also opened the memory

module cover and my S10-3 definitely needs DDR3.  The thing is I couldn't find a memory locally that

is 1333 Mhz DDR3 S0-DIMM.  Lenovo does not even show it as available on theri site when I try

to do the motion of trying to order a memory upgrade for my S10-3!!!

Where is this available from?

Options

3 Posts

09-01-2010

Hong Kong

19 Signins

123 Page Views

• Views: 123
  • Message 65 of 201

Re: S10-3 Ram issue / S10-3s 2GB Memory Upgrade didnt work

2010-09-01, 1:14 AM

my boss need one 2GB for his S10-3 too, any update?

Options

20 Posts

07-25-2010

Canada, BC.

90 Signins

439 Page Views

• Views: 439
  • Message 66 of 201

2010-09-01, 6:52 AM

I'm also having the exact same problem everyone here is having.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad S10-3 (0647-48U). It has the N455 processor and comes with the 1G stick of DDR3 RAM in it.

I tried to upgrade it to the 2G stick ( http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/webca/LenovoPortal/en_CA/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=38&Code=55Y3710&current-category-id=5CD3F261780D4DB7BD00721EB4929BF6&&hide_menu_area=yes ). This stick of RAM is directly from Lenovo's website. And it's a Samsung too (which is the SAME brand that the OEM 1G stick is that comes with the netbook).

When I first went to install it, only 1 of the 2 clips would lock the RAM down. I tried to run the netbook as it was but got the blank screen but the power would turn on. I sent that RAM back and got another one (same one) replacement sent. Again, same problem. This time I used a needle and forced the RAM to lock in, and it STILL didn't work....

This is a huge headache. Does anyone know how to upgrade this piece to a 2G yet? Do we have any confirmed WORKING RAM? Preferably Kingston, and secondary Corsair.

Thanks.

Options

9 Posts

08-28-2010

Atlanta,GA

193 Signins

701 Page Views

• Views: 701
  • Message 67 of 201

2010-09-01, 14:29 PM

It looks like there are at least two other brands having the same problem with N455 Netbooks.  (Toshiba, Hp)  HP seems to have decided to just limit the netbook to 1GB even after the originals spec called for 2GB.

Toshiba uses lower clocked RAM and has two part numbers that work. 

It seems that all working modules for this processor/chipset are single rank ram.  If anyone can confirm that it would be great.

The memory configurator on the Kingston site lists a "single rank" module as the correct part for the s10-3 as well.

Other expanations on the toshiba forums include that the chip must be an "8 chip configuration" or 256MX64 or 256Mx8.  However, all these specifications are fairly confusing and really the only common thread between the working modules may be that they are single rank.

I

Options

20 Posts

07-25-2010

Canada, BC.

90 Signins

439 Page Views

• Message 68 of 201

2010-09-01, 17:39 PM

So I checked out the Lenovo Knowledgebase and found this:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-S-series-Netbooks/DDR2-and-DDR3-memory-types-on-S10-3-IdeaPad/ta-p/262921

It looks like Lenovo is actually AWARE of this problem, and their suggestion is to flash the BIOS. Although they don't guarantee that will do anything. Note that this link was created and modified by Mark_Lenovo and Cleo_Lenovo, who have been in this thread discussion.

They also give a list of "known types of RAM that will work" at the bottom for 2G DDR3 with Micron and Hynix being the only ones that will work. I find this kind of pathetic... Why build a netbook that will only accept, out of the many brands out there, 2 brands. Is Lenovo getting a reach-around from Hynix and Micron or something? I will be calling tech support and requesting to speak to a Level2 to ask about this.

After further analysis and realizing that other brands (Toshiba, HP) who use the N455 processor have the EXACT same problem as we do, I have determined that the problem is not a Lenovo problem, it is an Intel ATOM N455 problem. It is the processor that will not accept the RAM. Whether the problem is the fact that it cannot clock down the speed of the RAM to 667 which (according to Lenovo) is the maximum speed that this netbook can use, or whether it's the RAM stick's fault that it will not allow itself to be clocked down. I don't know the answer. But in any event, it is the N455 processor ITSELF that is the problem here. I will be calling Intel on this right now and providing an update assuming they give me any relevant information.

After speaking to Intel, it appears the problem is not the PROCESSOR itself, but rather the chipset and the BIOS. The representative I spoke to sounded fairly knowledgeable on the subject, although he and Intel are unaware of any problem with N455 processors and 2G DDR3 RAM upgrades. Also, take into consideration that as I read the Toshiba boards, they have apparently confirmed that they have 2 sticks of 2G RAM that work, one branded as Toshiba, and the other Kingston apparently. While at the same time Lenovo has stated that they have confirmed 2 2G sticks that should work (Hynix and Micron). So when you take that information, it seems likely that the chipset/BIOS may be the problem here, as the processors are the same, unless of course someone puts a Toshiba, or their verified Kingston stick, in our Lenovo netbook and it works too. Then of course the problem may seem to go back to the processor itself. But in any event, it appears from my view that a bios update is needed to take place on Lenovo's part. As of 1 month ago, I checked my BIOS version and confirmed that I had the latest update. I will check into this again at a later time. In the meantime I hope some resolution shows up over this issue.

In my eagerness to get this resolved, I ended up checking my BIOS compared to the latest version. The latest version of BIOS does not include anything that will resolve the issue of RAM upgrades. However I called Lenovo and spoke to a Level 1 Tech who was ACTUALLY aware of this issue and sounded knowledgeable. She instructed me that the problem is that the RAM MUST be able to be clocked down to 667MHZ, and that the only 2G sticks that Lenovo has verified that will clock down to 667 is the Hynix and Micron. She claims that it is the actual stick of RAM that is not allowing itself to be clocked down. Now, I don't know if that's true, but I thought i'd share that. So conclusion so far: the 2G stick of ram that you are installing must either be 667mhz or must be ABLE to clock down to 667mhz. I just thought that all/most sticks of RAM had the capability to clock down to 667mhz, but according to her, that's not so. I'll be calling Kingston and perhaps Samsung (because I tried Samsung and it failed) and asking them if their RAM is supposed to clock down to 667 automatically due to the Processor. If they say that yes their RAM should automatically clock down (which is what I assume the case is), then I suspect the problem is either the Processor is not clocking it down, or the BIOS/Chipset is not clocking it down properly. I don't know if it's the processors responsibility to clock it down or not, so I'd think that BIOS is the likely suspect again. Anyway, I'll be calling Samsung and Kingston now.

Options

9 Posts

08-28-2010

Atlanta,GA

193 Signins

701 Page Views

• Views: 701
  • Message 69 of 201

2010-09-02, 2:35 AM

I could be wrong about this,so feel free to correct, flame whatever BUT....

I have tried several pieces of DDR# in my netbook. 

The FSB of the CPU is MAX 667Mhz.

PC3-10600 RAM has a clock speed of 1333Mhz

The memory runs at half that speed on which is 667Mhz.

There is no down clocking when useing this module. I have no idea what Lenovo tech support could be talking about. 

I have noticed that my memory timings are way below SPD ratings.

Plugging a larger stick with a CL of 9 into a slot that is locked at CL5 would cause the no boot situation.

At this point I would be willing to order the part from Lenovo but I have not seem this listed as an upgrade anywhere.

I wish Lenovo would solve the problem.  I understand that buying aftermarket RAM is not at the top of thier priority list, but I am willing to buy it from them.

Options

20 Posts

07-25-2010

Canada, BC.

90 Signins

439 Page Views

• Message 70 of 201

2010-09-02, 3:45 AM

I contacted Kingston, as per my previous post, and here were my results:
1) I was told that it is NOT  up to the RAM to be clockable/unclockable, all RAM is the same, in that the motherboard or the chipset determines whether to clock the RAM up or down. As per the Lenovo tech I spoke to before this, she said that the problem is that the RAM is not being clocked down to 667mhz, and this is what is causing the problem. So, from this, assuming that RAM itself cannot block a chipset from downclocking the speed, then the problem comes back to the chipset and the bios.

2) Kingston support, as per their website as well, told me that this stick of RAM from them, in theory should work (but in theory, all of this RAM we are using should work) Product Code: KTL-TP3BS/2G. < http://ncix.com/products/?sku=4605530&vpn=KTL%2DTP3BS%2F2G&manufacture=KINGSTON%20TECHNOLOGY >. It doesn't state the bandwidth of the RAM, but it does state the speed of 1333mhz. I assume the bandwidth is probably 10600/10666. The tech support agent did say that this RAM, just like all RAM, should be able to be clocked down by the chipset of the computer. I for one am not going to waste time ordering RAM off websites anymore. I am going to check a few places in town and see if they have that Kingston stick. If so, I'll report back here whether it worked or not.

Other than that, I am about done trying to resolve this problem. It appears to me the problem is with the chipset/BIOS. As you all know if you read a few posts above this, Toshiba and HP netbooks that use the N455 processor are having the exact same problem when trying to upgrade to 2G. This leaves me to believe that the chipset and BIOS are probably the same used between Lenovo, Toshiba, and HP, and that is the reason this is failing. If perhaps they use different BIOS/Chipsets than we have in the Lenovo netbook, then the problem must be the processor N455 Atom.

Anyway, unless I find that stick of RAM in town, I am about done here. I hope. So if I don't get any resolution, God speed with whoever tries to tackle this next. As stated in my previous post, if you desperately want 2G of RAM, Hynix and Micron (see the link I provided previously) apparently are confirmed to work, by Lenovo. I, on the other hand, prefer to buy components from reputable and high quality brand names (Kingston, Corsair). So I will wait until one of these brands will work in this netbook.

On a related matter though, when I did try to install my 2G sticks of Samsung RAM that I bought from Lenovo, I found that one of the clips that lock the RAM into place wouldn't actually click in and lock. I had to use a screwdriver or something and literally force it in. No matter how hard I pressed down on the RAM (within reason not to push it through the board) it just wouldn't click in like the OEM RAM does. Have any of you had that problem as well?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete