Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

S10-3 ,need help with HDD

Hi,

got a new S10-3.. had win7 pre-installed...

>had to RE-install winXP-SP2 on it.. did so.. but had to go to BIOS and set "SATA contrller working mode" to "Compatible"

>after THIS, I SEE 3 partitions

this is how I viewed it in Win7 (disk management)

FREEDOS/simple/basic/FAT32(healthy/system,archive,primary partition) = 14.63gig

unNAMED partition/Simple/basic/  (healthy, OEM partition) = 1.08gig

C: simple/basic/ntfs (healthy/boot,page file,crash dump,logical drive) 133gig

now when I TRY to delete the partion for the "OEM partition", it had a warning, so I didnt touch it..same goes for the freeDOS, but it does indicate I could do so... but I still didnt..

what I did was just reformat the remaining partition (133Gb) using XP bootdisk, DELETE (that) partition and devided them into two... so its about 33Gb(drive C: logical)  and 100Gb(drive D: logical)

so I have successfully installed XP in there... BIOS SATA setting WAS on "compatible",else if in AHCI, Bluescreen only

purpose: I just wanted to see the LCD color diffrence with my other netbook running on XP... Smiley Happy

anyways, after seing the diff, I HAD to re-install win7 again...

ok now I have installed the win7(BIOS SATA was in compatible mode).. when set to AHCI, I get blue screen.. now that WAS dumb! I should have set the BIOS to AHCI mode while installing win7(did NOT know).. anyways, had fixxed it by tweaking the registry.. now its in AHCI mode (much faster, I agree)

NOW HERE COMES my problem:

>>everytime I start my netbook, I get this startup screen ASKING W/C OS should I boot to.. it shows 4 choices : earlier version of windows/win7/win7/and unrecornized OS on drive C

I choose the 2nd win7 option...then its boots properly....

>>>>when I RE-installed the QS, it NOW asks what drive to install to!!

back before when it had the pre-installed OS, I *never* saw any "what drive to install" notice...

now REALLY I want to "revert" back to the original state this machine was...

>>>a few questions:

HOW was the OEM partition and  FREEDOS partition created? was it created BEFORE or AFTER installation of win7 OS? a program perhaps?

IS IT also possible to REMOVE ALL those partitions so this becomes 1 partition only? wont it affect anthing?

Sorry for the many questions, but Im just so clueless as of now....

-Raff

Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: S10-3 ,need help with HDD

new partitions you saw on xp was already there.it was system/one key recover hidden partititon.

due to you didn't un-install xp, you upgraded or about windows installation, system options has been changed.

right click my computer > properties > advanced > startup recovery >  default operation system > then select the default one,

so you can fix boot issue. or just format the whole hard disk and perform clean windows installation.

it'd be more easy & clean way .

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

ok, got it... anyways, I just removed ALL those partitions (now I got about 160GB).. used a clean install of win7...

QUESTION: what program was used to do THOSE partitions?

I REALLY miss the way the QS installs first time (when I havent un-installed the preloaded win7 OS) ... it did NOT ask WHICH drive to install... seems like it had a mind of its own.. lol Smiley Very Happy

or do I have to install or edit any registry( or anything) to do this? I really would like to install the QS on a "phantom drive" w/c could NOT be seen by file explorer....

help?

-Raff

Community Moderator
0 Kudos

one of the partitions you removed was for quick start.so you cannot use it anymore.

Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

ok

can you show me link/s as to how I can recreate that partition again? what program was used to create it?

im not so interested with the one key recovery, just the QuickStart one...

thanks

-Raff

Highlighted
Community Moderator
0 Kudos

due to you removed all those partitions you cannot use. you need to ship it back to lenovo.

( lenovo may charge you )

Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

I see.. so they(lenovo) are the only ones who know how to partion it that way.. Smiley Happy

anyways, I would not bother shipping it back to them just to get back that partition.

thanks for the help
Community Moderator
0 Kudos

you may order recover discs ( if you have dvd-rom ) but due to you partitioned the volumes, it may not work.

Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

ok.. I do have a USB DVD drive ..

arent there any other applications/programs w/c could do similar tasks re-creating it?

AFAIR, It had a 15Gb(for OKR I presume) , a 130Gb(for the win7 OS) , and a 1Gb?(for the QS?)... Im just interested with the QS only... how I had installed it before, WITHOUT asking w/c drive to install to... that is how I remember...

ANYWAYS, here is the REAL (slight) problem(or annoyance) I have right now.. note THIS was NOT the way it used to start up when I had not removed the pre-installed win7. the moment I press QS button, will boot and take up about 11-12seconds:

http://i56.tinypic.com/161i52g.jpg

OK.. unless I CLICK any app, screen goes blank a few seconds, then it will FINALLY show the buttons(lower right) and the app chosen  will start....

http://i52.tinypic.com/11ccdnr.jpg

it wasnt there before... is this thing normal? or could I do something about it? I find it really annoying.. a few seconds MORE of waiting + the 11-12seconds boot-up of QS...

Community Moderator
0 Kudos

as i said before due to you partitioned the volumes, it may not work. ( you may need to partition the volumes as they were before. )

about qs, it comes pre-loaded as your pre-loaded operation system.