Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

02-15-2009

china

91 Signins

230 Page Views

• Views: 230
  • Message 321 of 1008

Re: Fan Issue

2009-03-03, 4:46 AM

mark,

Is there a new version bios(14cn58ww)?

Where can i get it?

thanks

Options

130 Posts

02-13-2009

Bangkok, Thailand

1013 Signins

2251 Page Views

• Views: 2251
  • Message 322 of 1008

Re: [S10/S10e Fan Problems Collecting Info for Lenovo] S10 fan runs too fast, too often, too loud

2009-03-03, 6:50 AM

Fortronic,

The grinding noise on mine "was" very loud at its worst stage -- so loud that it had embarrassed me at work and once woke me up at 4:30 in the morning when I left it on in my bed room overnight.

Thank goodness it has been fixed now and what I have heard during the past few days was a faint grinding, presumably like yours.

Is the grinding loud.  I thought I heard a very faint grinding, nothing major.  However, I do remember hearing it more if I pick up the net book and move it around.

Twitter @thitiv | Work | ThinkPad W520 (4270-CTO) Core i7-2960XM 2.7/3.7 GHz | 16GB Kingston HyperX PnP DDR3-1866
2 x 256GB Crucial M4 & C300 SSDs | Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 | Ericsson F5521gw WWAN | Ultrabay Blu-ray Burner
NVIDIA Quadro 2000M | 15.6" FHD 1920x1080 | ThinkPad Battery 55++ (9-cell) & Battery 27++ (9-cell slice)

Options

27 Posts

02-14-2009

Houston, Tx

265 Signins

866 Page Views

• Views: 866
  • Message 323 of 1008

Re: [S10/S10e Fan Problems Collecting Info for Lenovo] S10 fan runs too fast, too often, too loud

2009-03-03, 13:58 PM

I went ahead and disconnected the fan from the board last night.  Silence is golden.  If you all report some new magical BIOS that fixes all the fan problems, I may consider plugging it back in, but for now I'm happy.  I'll report some temperatures when I get a chance to run some tests later.

wrote:

I bought my S10e just before Christmas and already on Christmas Day I was fed up with the fan behaviour, so I simply opened it up, located the fan and cut the red wire going into the fan (red for power).

And no, the Bios will not complain and I've been a happy camper ever since!

But initially I had some concerns when both SpeedFan and Coretemp reported temperatures of 90 degrees C under stress, but I soon found out that they reported bogus values.

As have been reported earlier in this thread, the correct TjMax value for Atom N270 should be 90 degrees, and adjusting for that, both programs never show core temperature values exceeding 60 degrees. I might have seen 65 degrees though, but can't remember now as I don't care about that anymore. I'm just happy with a silent netbook, the way a proper netbook should be!

Options

26 Posts

01-22-2009

Amherst, NY

61 Signins

391 Page Views

• Views: 391
  • Message 324 of 1008

2009-03-03, 14:08 PM

sounds good thitiv.

can't wait for the new bios, yummy.

Message Edited by navynmr on 03-03-2009 09:08 AM
Options

3 Posts

03-02-2009

Elizabeth City, NC

13 Signins

144 Page Views

• Views: 144
  • Message 325 of 1008

To all impatient people....

2009-03-03, 15:22 PM
You know what? For all you impatient people that juat can't wait I have great news. You will just have to suck it up and wait. Dude, this is NOT a huge problem at all, in fact it's not actually a problem. It's a annoyance. I don't like the fan doing what it's doing either but for Christ's sake stop!!! Lenovo is working on it and I have no doubt it will be fixed soon. Did you bother reading Mark's post saying that Lenovo is in the process of working on the problem? You should read a little futher into it before you speak. Relax people the fix is coming.
Sent from my Lenovo S10.
Options

9 Posts

02-27-2009

Indiana - US

94 Signins

763 Page Views

• Views: 763
  • Message 326 of 1008

Re: To all impatient people....

2009-03-03, 17:39 PM

wrote:
You know what? For all you impatient people that juat can't wait I have great news. You will just have to suck it up and wait. Dude, this is NOT a huge problem at all, in fact it's not actually a problem. It's a annoyance. I don't like the fan doing what it's doing either but for Christ's sake stop!!! Lenovo is working on it and I have no doubt it will be fixed soon. Did you bother reading Mark's post saying that Lenovo is in the process of working on the problem? You should read a little futher into it before you speak. Relax people the fix is coming.

i agree.  it's a 300 dollar computer.  it's not meant to save the world, run autocad, find aliens with SETI, or play Crysis.  my dell desktop at work makes more noise than my S10.  i'd rather have some random fan noise than a 90º C leg.  i have the new bios, i believe the fan runs less than before, but i didn't even know this was a "problem" until i started lurking this forum.  some of you guys are crazy though, my 3000 n100 fan runs much more and just as loud as the S10.  what's the big deal?  wear some headphone sor turn on the tv if it bothers you so much.  hope some of you don't have any kids if this little fan noise bothers you so much...

Options

2 Posts

03-03-2009

Vienna

7 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 327 of 1008

Re: To all impatient people....

2009-03-03, 19:18 PM

wrote:

wrote:

i agree.  it's a 300 dollar computer.  it's not meant to save the world, run autocad, find aliens with SETI, or play Crysis.  my dell desktop at work makes more noise than my S10.  i'd rather have some random fan noise than a 90º C leg.  i have the new bios, i believe the fan runs less than before, but i didn't even know this was a "problem" until i started lurking this forum.  some of you guys are crazy though, my 3000 n100 fan runs much more and just as loud as the S10.  what's the big deal?  wear some headphone sor turn on the tv if it bothers you so much.  hope some of you don't have any kids if this little fan noise bothers you so much... 

Guess what, some people want to use their notebooks at places, where silence is appreciated or even crucial. At the moment I couldn't imagine using my s10e at the library or at my university classes (though I mostly bought it for this reason). It's simply ridiculous when running a simple text editing application and typing (I don't even mean fully bloated document editors such as MS Word or OpenOffice Writer, I mean simple apps like Notepad, Gedit etc., worlds apart from autocad, SETI or Crysis) to cause the fan to spin up and distract everyone around me. Ridiculous and distracting.

I'm thankful that something is done  to address this issue, but just because it's no problem to you it doesn't mean that it isn't a problem to others.
Options

41 Posts

02-15-2009

Japan

64 Signins

716 Page Views

• Views: 716
  • Message 328 of 1008

2009-03-03, 19:46 PM

From what I can gather from this thread, there are two main fan issues.

1. erratic cycling

2. extremely loud fan (think hair-dryer)

Both of these issues does not happen to everyone because;

1. only happens when the ACPI thermal zone temperature lingers near the fan's threshold points and have frequent small spikes.

2. is most noticeable when the APCI thermal zone temperature goes above 65C where the fan runs at full speed. For some people the temperature does not go above 55C even at full CPU load. But for others, the temperature easily goes over 65C when even doing simple tasks and reaches as high as 80C at full CPU load. The later case is most likely due to a defective heatsink in which the heatsink and the CPU does not mate properly. The none-deformed rubber pad between the two clearly indicates this (http://i41.tinypic.com/25alq3d.jpg).

1. is somewhat fixable by a BIOS update. 2. will need a hardware mod or a heatsink replacement.

Initially I thought that only the SMD inductor interfered with the heatsink, however, it turns out that the fan's casing also interferes with the PCB. Removing the interfering parts of the heatsink and the fan's casing will not work because then the fan's blade will scratch the PCB. So the "real" defect of the heatsink is that the contact areas for the CPU and for the chipset are not protruded enough for proper mating.

Options

89 Posts

01-21-2009

Kenmore,WA

643 Signins

3975 Page Views

• Views: 3975
  • Message 329 of 1008

2009-03-03, 20:07 PM

There does appear to be some type of problem with the S10e but little to none with the S10. Many post also show the user has been into the PC causing confusion as to the problem area. Ragging on the forum will not cure what if anything is needing help with the PC. I have 4-S10,s all 1 week to 1 month old in the hands family and friends. None show any noise problem with use. The temperatures do jump around but you cannot hear the fan until you place your ear at the keyboard.

Lenovo has created a wonderful machine.

Frank
Kenmore, WA
USA
Options

13 Posts

02-01-2009

USA

189 Signins

696 Page Views

• Views: 696
  • Message 330 of 1008

2009-03-03, 22:02 PM

To all you people upset with us "complainers":

In addition to being terribly loud in inappropriate settings, for many users, the the erratic fan also creates lagging/slow-down of the computer itself when the fan cycles on and off.  This is the primary problem that I have with the unit.  The noise itself doesn't bother me as much as the decreased performance that results from it.  Solving the fan problem is therefore more than just a cosmetic issue as your unsympathetic posts imply. 

In these tough economic times any amount of money ($400) is too much to spend on something that does not work as it should.  Just as we have been patient with Lenovo for a solution, why don't you guys with perfect S10's try to be a little patient with those of us who have flawed ones please?

Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms