cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adpads
Paper Tape
Views: 6,030
Message 1 of 13

S10e - Loud beep on AC connect and disconnect!

Hi all - first post here!

My Lenovo S10e came with Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop, and now it runs openSUSE 11.1. I love it! But I am still in the flushed first weeks, and am still working out the kinks. Here's one:

Every time I connect or disconnect the AC power, I get a very loud beeping sound, which is a real nuisance in the library, and even around the house! I would love to be able to disable this beep, but as far as I can tell it's a BIOS-level setting which the BIOS gives no option to adjust.

All the forums I have found offer a solution only for Windows. If there is a BIOS update which makes it possible to disable this beep, I think I would not be able to apply it anyway, since it would be distributed in the form of a windows .exe. But I purchased the unit with a Linux operating system preinstalled. Surely there must be a BIOS upgrade that would address us?

Does anyone have any suggestions here?

Thank you very much!

frankjg
Punch Card
Views: 6,027
Message 2 of 13

Re: S10e - Loud beep on AC connect and disconnect!

Open up the sound icon and set the volumn you want for it
Frank
Kenmore, WA
USA
adpads
Paper Tape
Views: 6,020
Message 3 of 13

Hi Frank,

The thing is, like I say, I am running Linux (openSUSE) and not Windows. I have not found a way to adjust this sound so far. Did you mean a Linux sound icon, and if so, which one?

bb_net
What's DOS?
Views: 5,852
Message 4 of 13

JeanD
What's DOS?
Views: 5,828
Message 5 of 13

Newbie here, first post... and I'm bumping this thread. My Windows XP S10 arrived today and I noticed this very loud alert beep when I disconnected the power cord from either the wall or the computer.

The above linked "fix" won't work for me because I don't understand the whole "writing code" thing. Is that the only way

to fix this problem.

It is not controlled by the volume control.

Peace-  JeanD

ronaldkwok
802.11n
Views: 5,781
Message 6 of 13

For Windows XP, click on the speaker icon in the system tray to access the Master Volume dialog box. Mute the PC Beep and the annoying loud beep will go away. Or reduce the volume as desired. View the post "Sound Advice on Sound" in my Blog if you need a more detailed procedure.
View my Blog on the Lenovo S10
adpads
Paper Tape
Views: 5,739
Message 7 of 13

> Try this?

forums.opensuse.org/archives/sf-archives/archives-hardware/345495-muting-system-bell-beep-_1";return this.s_oc?this.s_oc(e):true">http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/sf-archives/archives-hardware/345495-muting-system-bell-beep-fin...

Thanks for the tip! That fixed some other annoying system beeps, but it didn't do anything about the one when the AC is unplugged or connected. Good tip, but still looking for a solution to this one.

widzspeed
What's DOS?
Views: 4,831
Message 8 of 13

I have the same problem on my ideapad s10...
this is pretty annoying when i plug in earphone and suddenly the electricity fails, it feels like the beep breaking my ears...
this is a serious problem for me, i suppose, since i might do damage to my hearing...

fyi, i installed ubuntu 9.04 and not yet come up with the solution for this problem.

I do hope someone could come up with a solution.

thanks.

Highlighted
disu
What's DOS?
Views: 4,774
Message 9 of 13

I think the only way to fix it, is cut off this stupid speaker, he is really noisy, especially at the evning. So if any one fix it without disconnecting speaker, it would be great! Or if someone can show where is he... I disconnect it without any doubt Smiley Happy

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,763
Message 10 of 13

Hi , since 

S10 BIOS 67

S10e BIOS 66

there is  this switch integrated... 

Beep when plug in/out ac adapter  [enabled] turn it to [disabled] thats it...

sincerely KalvinKlein

Yoga Home 900 - Yoga 2 11- Yoga tablet 2 all WIN 10 1809
Moto Z Play - Moto Z2 Play

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals