cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eurodr
Paper Tape
Views: 357
Message 1 of 5

S145-15IWL Laptop (ideapad) - Type 81MV restarts after entering UEFI (BIOS) - latest firmware

Hello,

Title says all, 

I updated recently to the latest uefi using the official installer, no problem there, all works fine within windows, however if i try to boot from an alternative device it fails and i presume it restarts, then loads win10.

As i wanted to investigate further, i entered uefi/bios pressing F2 key (i have the Fn disabled) and, after less than 15-20 seconds tops it crashed the uefi interface and rebooted.

I disconnected all USB devices from the unit and tried again, to no avail.

I will try with the HDMI cable off also, but before there were no issues if the hdmi cable was connected - there was no output to the tv (as i presume that is a function controlled in windows), but no crash either.

Furthermore, battery was full and laptop plugged in the power outlet.

This is a pretty important bug (hope the term is correct), because if i ever need to restore/reinstall windows i can not boot from usb.

Finally, i ran all the tests in the Lenovo Diagnostics app and the result was 0 errors, so i presume the problem can be isolated to the uefi hardware or software.

Thanks in advance for the solution.

xwk
Blue Screen Again
Views: 301
Message 2 of 5

Re: S145-15IWL Laptop (ideapad) - Type 81MV restarts after entering UEFI (BIOS) - latest firmware

Did Lenovo Vantage give you this BIOS update?

eurodr
Paper Tape
Views: 296
Message 3 of 5

Re: S145-15IWL Laptop (ideapad) - Type 81MV restarts after entering UEFI (BIOS) - latest firmware

No, it was the "System Update" app.

Anyways, i managed to quickly enter uefi, press enter on "load optimized defaults" then on "save changes and exit", after that i re-entered and the crashes were gone.

ali_dzi
Paper Tape
Views: 123
Message 4 of 5

I have the same problem, but quickly entering BIOS, loading defaults and saving it didn't solve the problem. I can't start anything else from USB stick (MemTEST, WinPE, Linux, etc) - it restarts PC after cca 10 sec. But Windows 10 (UEFI installatino) works fine (no restart)!
Highlighted
ali_dzi
Paper Tape
Views: 77
Message 5 of 5

Well, finaly I have solved this stupidity! I have created UEFI USB stick with WinPE, and completely destroyed UEFI SSD partitions in my Lenovo S145. I also had to convert SSD from GPT to MBR. After that, BIOS stopped restarting after every 10 seconds, and I could boot from any USB stick to any other OS or program.

Obviously, when BIOS finds UEFI partition(s) on HDD/SSD inside laptop, it does not alow anything else (what is not UEFI) to boot. Even if you are only staying in BIOS, not booting anything, but browsing BIOS options, PC reboots after 10 secs (and that should be treated as BIOS BUG!). So Lenovo, please, fix that!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors