Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nugen
Blue Screen Again
Views: 9,918
Message 1 of 10

S205 - Wireless connection will not activate on Win7-64bit

Hi forum!

We have updated the IdeaPad S205 with the latest BIOS (version 24) and installed Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit. We have updated the RAM to 8 GB RAM as well. After the clean installation of W7HP-64 we installed all the drivers which we have downloaded from Lenovo's support-page by searching with the serial number. All drivers were installed without a fuzz including the Lenovo Engergy Management Sorfware. For the sake of troubleshooting it should be known that the Wireless LAN drivers were already recognized and installed by Windows 7. When installing the executable downloaded from Lenovo's support page the drivers were not updated. When trying to manually update the drivers from the device manager by pointing to the folder C:\DRIVERS\ and including all subfolders the guide stated that it already have the latest drivers installed. We found out that ther's a RaLink RT3090 card installed in this computer so we downloaded the corresponding drivers from RaLink's support page and it was installed without a problem.

In both cases the drivers are working but will the operating system will not let us search for nearby wireless networks. We have the physical manual Wireless switch on the right hand side on the computer set on enable and pressed the FN+F5 key. When pressing the FN+F5 key the Lenovo Settings for Wireless Networks pops up and only showing the Bluetooth, NOT the Wireless LAN. We can turn the Bluetooth on and off. No trace of the Wireless LAN.

When letting Windows do a diagnostics on the Wireless LAN it finds that everything is ok with the drivers but it must be switched on by a physical button (which we have done) and/or a function key on the keyboard (which we have).

We have no firewall or antivirus software installed. Just a bare bone Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit OEM installed. The LAN is working fine.

So this is out problem. We have called the local Lenovo support but they will not help us other that "recover the system, sir", and that's it. It should also be noted that the recovery recovers Windows with 32-bit and then the Wireless LAN works. But the issue is getting it to work under 64-bit. Why 64-bit? Our customer has upgraded to 8GB RAM and therefore need 64-bit to access all the RAM.

Sorry for the wall of text but this is frustrating the hell out of us and we need get this problem solved.

/Patrik Svensson

Stockholm, Sweden

witteks
Token Ring
Views: 9,911
Message 2 of 10

Betreff: S205 - Wireless connection will not activate on Win7-64bit

Hi Patrik,

try to install Win7 64Bit in BIOS legacy mode instead UEFI. Just google "S205 legacy mode" to find How-To's.

I know, that the RaLink specifically creates more trouble than the also used Atheros WiFi, but it might solve your problem.

Let me know, if it is working.

-witteks

Nugen
Blue Screen Again
Views: 9,899
Message 3 of 10

We finally got it to work with this solution. To be more clear on the solution. In the BIOS settings you need to change the AHCI setting to IDE. After that boot from your media (in our case the Windows 7 DVD) and install it as usual.

Thanks for your help.

ColinMacLaren
What's DOS?
Views: 9,889
Message 4 of 10

I just installed the Windows 8 consumer preview. Contrary to Windows 7 and the Developer Preview, the legacy mode wasn't working, the setup alwas forced me to use a GPT partitioned hard drive. So I cleaned the drive and converted it to GPT and installed the new Windows. Now the wirless problem metioned by the thread starter occured for me as well. I  have the Atheros Chipset, drivers are up-to-date. Is there any chance to gert the wirless working in UEFI mode?

Cristofo
What's DOS?
Views: 9,777
Message 5 of 10

Re: S205 - Wireless connection will not activate on Win7-64bit

this may help, please try:

1.after installing windows, you will see wireless icon with the yellow mark

2 restart windows after installing power management drivers.

3.in the device management, right click and remove wireless device.

4.restart windows

5. press fn + f5 to activate the wireless. the wireless adapter should work

6.restart again. 

moderator edit: text translated.

please, use spanish board for spanish language or translate the text by using translator to keep the conversation here. ( translate.google.com ) 

Cristofo
What's DOS?
Views: 9,774
Message 6 of 10

this I wrote in spanish Smiley Very Happy
fiesta
802.11n
Views: 9,765
Message 7 of 10

Is the Wireless Card Enabled in Bios?
Try resetting all internet connection settings, IP's and you name it, in windows from scratch.
anujakhemka
What's DOS?
Views: 8,639
Message 8 of 10

I installed Windows 7 in legacy mode but still the wireless adapter is not working. is there anything special which we have to do?? I installed it in legacy mode using a USB stick and then installed the Ralink driver but it does not work. Please help me.

stahlnase
Punch Card
Views: 8,624
Message 9 of 10

Hi anujakhemka,

how do you know, that it got installed in legacy mode using a USB stick?

There are a few people, who have exactly this question Smiley Wink

Even if it doesn't solve your problem, it would be nice, if you can share the method.

Regards,

stahlnase

sha
Paper Tape
Views: 8,037
Message 10 of 10

To install in legacy/IDE mode, you must remove "bootmgr.efi" and \efi\ from the USB, before you install.

If you don't, the USB will still install in EFI.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors