Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 1 of 14 (8,840 Views)

S21e-20 Upgrade to Windows 10 HOWTO (Without waiting!)

[ Edited ]

S21e-20 Lenovo Upgrade to Windows 10 HOWTO

This is the method I used to upgrade my s21e-20 notebook. Note that you do NOT have to wait for the confirmation to use this method!

1. Make sure you have an external USB mouse available!!!! Windows 10 does not have the Lenovo drivers.
  2. Make sure you have a 4 gig minimum USB thumb drive. Warning, It will be completely overwritten!!!
  3. Back up all your data first! As with any upgrade, we recommend backing up before continuing.
  4. Once you’re ready to upgrade, head to this page and download Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool. Launch it when it finishes downloading
    .windows-10-media-creation
  5. Select the “Create installation media for another PC” option and click Next.
  6. Let the Creation Tool run through its process. When it is complete, you can simply run the setup from the thumb drive or reboot using the thumb drive as your boot drive. (F1 gets you to the bios.)
  7. You can choose to upgrade or clean install. It is my opinion a clean install is best, especially since space is very limited.
  8. Once the the upgrade is complete. (after several hours and many reboots) get connected to the internet and navigate to the Lenovo support site for the s21e-20 and download all of the Windows 10 drivers. There are a dozen or so, 64 bit only! You can install them in any order. I would recommend downloading them all, then running the install one at a time. You can delete them from your downloads folder after you have installed them all.
  9. The last driver you need is not on the Lenovo site;the SDCard Reader which can be found on the Realtek site: RealTek SDCARD Reader Driver
  10. Also, here are  some tricks to reclaim precious space…. Lifehacker – reclaim-disk-space-after-windows-10-update-by-deleting

Good luck!

You can visit my site for more updates: http://www.briantafoya.com/archives/684/s21e-20-lenovo-upgrade-to-windows-10-howto/

What's DOS?
Message 2 of 14 (8,709 Views)

Re: S21e-20 Upgrade to Windows 10 HOWTO (Without waiting!)

Hi Brian,

So I have a s21e-20 with 32 gbssd. Windows requirement says its gonna need at leat 20gb. I only have 11.6 out of 22 gb available. So can I still install win 10 and let it overwrite whats being used in me drive?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 3 of 14 (8,704 Views)

I was able to upgrade with just about the same amount of available space using the above method. The thumbdrive is critical due to the lack of space. I also did not keep any existing apps/settings just so that I could get through the OS upgrade with less isees.

It is not a simple run the upgrade and you are done scenario unforetunatly. You will need to manually install the required drivers. I am a senior engineer with 30+ years experience so shared what my method was to get the upgrade working.

Since it has been running for a few days now I am pleased with Windows 10. A couple of minor issues, like the screen dims instead of brightening when you slide the dimmer (odd bug for Lenovo to miss!) and I have had a couple of freeze on login issues.

Good luck!

What's DOS?
Message 4 of 14 (8,695 Views)

awesome thank you very much!'
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 14 (8,641 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the tips on upgrading the S21e-20 to Windows 10.

Have two minor questions that will help my install:

1. When you run the Media Creation Tool and specify you want an upgrade copy to run on a different computer, it gives you different Win-10 64 bit choices. Which one is the most appropriate? I think it's most likely Window 10 Home but it could be WIndows 10 Pro (there are also other 64 bit choices but I don't think they are applicable). What worked for your install?

2. I've downloaded the Lenovo drivers on to a USB drive (there's also a Realtek SD card driver there now so I may not need the separate Realtek driver that's on their website). When installing the drivers, does this need to be done from the command prompt (aka MS-DOS) or is it functional from the new Win-10 installation? Not sure how functional the new Win-10 install is before the the Win-10 drivers since there are so many to load...

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 6 of 14 (8,637 Views)

Here are your answers....

1. The Media Creation Tool does not give you options for architecture or version. The version is purely decided on the License key. Arcehtecture is 64bit since the Lenovo laptop is 64bit, and yes it is the Home edition from the factory.

2. The drivers all have windows installers and just need to be installed after the windows install is complete. I mention you needing an external mouse since the trackball is not recogized after the install. I used a standard Microsoft USB mouse I had lying around.

Hope this helps!

Fanfold Paper
Message 7 of 14 (8,351 Views)

[ Edited ]

After this process, will it work to copy down the product key, and then do a fresh install, formatting the entire drive in order to recover all of the space, or does the S21e require the recovery partition to boot properly?

I recently ordered one and am waiting for it to arrive. In the mean time, I was wondering, does anyone know if the internal storage is soldered in place, or is it on a separate PCB, using a board to board interconnect?

Also for the card reader, does a micro SD card fully insert, or is it one of those half depth card slots?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 8 of 14 (8,338 Views)

The product key is in the bios so a full erase works just fine and you don't even have to mess with it. I did a complete format myself without a glitch. Not sure about upgrading the drive, which I too am interested in doing. I may take a look and see. But I can answer the SD card question; it sits recessed out of the way.

What's DOS?
Message 9 of 14 (8,319 Views)

According to a mobile-edge.com review, the 2 gb ram is factory hard wired to the board and it also mentions the eMMC SSD is also not user upgradeable. http://www.mobil-edge.com/lenovo-s21e-11-6-inch-laptop-80m4002dus/

There is a Lenovo s21e hardware maintenance manual that does offer a rather detailed explanation on how to tear down the machine for repairs: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/docs/UM101345

Basically it looks like it's possible to replace the keyboard or battery if needed, but other repairs would be quite a challenge. I've replaced the battery pack and memory cards on my MacBook Pro but to do memory card swap outs on the S21e would likely require rather delicate soldering (which would likely zap the warrantee and also risk zapping the laptop...). Still, I'm sure some enterprising hacker will find a way to successfully (and carefully) do it.

Think the S21e is a fantastic value for the money for a name brand small netbook that can run Win 8.1 or Win 10 (I upgraded mine to Win 10 using a USB flash drive with the new OS and a separate USB with the needed Win 10 drivers).

Fanfold Paper
Message 10 of 14 (8,191 Views)

Just finished doing a ceann install of windows 10, and have all of the drivers installed, and everything seems to be working well, though I do have one unknown device.

Partition size is at 28.5GB

ACPI\VEN_CPL&DEV_0003

ACPI\CPL0003

Top Kudoed Authors